Would you like your Pad Thai cooked by Lord Carlos,or F.Lo? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
country flag DhammaTiger
May All Beings Be Happy!!

Location: So happy to be back to the City of Angels (Krung Thep)
DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you like your Pad Thai cooked by Lord Carlos,or F.Lo?

Your favourite tennis players taking Thai cooking lessons. That's great publicity for Thailand and Thai cuisine. Actually, you can get decent food at any hour of the day or night in Bangkok, so you don't have to resort to Mc Donald, like poor Ferrer had to endure in NYC.

Quote:
Tennis stars take Thai cooking lessons
By Bill Scott
Bangkok (dpa) - Spaniards Carlos Moya and Feliciano Lopez got a hands-on feel for the world-famed Thai kitchen on Monday, supervised by a chef as they helped to produce a Pad Thai noodle dish on a day off at the Thailand Open.

Fifth seed Moya and his friend F-Lo, had it all to learn as they got stuck in under tight supervision from a knowing, white-hatted expert.

The apron-clad players each fronted up at a wok with the expert placed in between to show them the way to throw it all together.

While their culinary skills may not rival their racket handling, the pair were able to tuck into their home-made production before heading off to the Impact arena for training on the day before the start of the event.

The tournament has opted for a Tuesday kickoff to allow the majority of the seeds to arrive from Europe after weekend Davis Cup matches.

Moya is playing in Bangkok for the first time since his 2003 quarter-finals and begins against German Benjamin Becker in the first round. Lopez, the number 48, has an opener against towering Croatian seventh seed Ivo Karlovic.

Officials were braced for VIP arrivals early Tuesday morning, headed by top seed Novak Djokovic.

The world number three and US Open finalist was arriving from Belgrade where he led Serbia into the Davis Cup World Group for the first time with a 4-1 crushing of Australia.

American Andy Roddick, 2004 Bangkok runner-up to Roger Federer, was coming from Sweden after helping the US into the December final against Russia.

Third seed Tomas Berdych and number four Tommy Haas also played Davis Cup, and officials said on Monday that Germany's Haas had recovered from the illness which kept him from Sunday's reverse singles in the semi-final loss to Russia.

World number two Rafael Nadal withdrew at the weekend, blaming the left knee tendinitis which has bothered him for more than a month and led to a fourth-round defeat at at the US Open.

Nadal lost to fellow Spaniard David Ferrer in New York, who also pulled out of Bangkok. American holder James Blake is also missing and will not defend his 2006 title.

Thailand's Danai Udomchoke heads the local challenge.

Former top Thai Paradorn Srichaphan, currently 155th due to a wrist injury,has been helping with public relations duties at his home event but has not played an ATP match in six months.
© Copyright The Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. 2006
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_....php?id=121986
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you like your Pad Thai cooked by Lord Carlos,or F.Lo?

F-Lo has a lot of time to practice his cooking now after he got his ass handed to him by Karlovic
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee!. View Post
F-Lo has a lot of time to practice his cooking now after he got his ass handed to him by Karlovic
So did Carlos

But I prefer to cook my Pad Thai myself
Lee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would you like your Pad Thai cooked by Lord Carlos,or F.Lo?
Cooking? No, I can do that myself. I can think of some other tasks for him to perform though.
Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
country flag Kitty de Sade
Retired Party Hostess

Kitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond reputeKitty de Sade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metis View Post
Cooking? No, I can do that myself. I can think of some other tasks for him to perform though.
And to think I was just about to send you a pm, asking you how you were feeling today? Now I know.

As for the question- if Flopez is at the helm of cooking something, I'd prefer to go hungry, thank you.
Kitty de Sade is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
country flag RogiRafaFan86

RogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiRafaFan86 has a reputation beyond repute

If their results today are any indication - neither.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
country flag Metis

Metis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond reputeMetis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kitty View Post
And to think I was just about to send you a pm, asking you how you were feeling today? Now I know.
Don't worry, I haven't lost my pervy side. I am just so busy with work these days that I don't have time to make any worthy contributions to the perv thread . Let's say I am on sabbatical for a while...
Metis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Thread derailers!!! Oh wait this is Flo and Moya we are talking about
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
country flag Burrow

Burrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond reputeBurrow has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Burrow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
country flag AsianSensation

AsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond reputeAsianSensation has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick with my local Thai restaurant on campus thank you very much

Djokovic~Haas~Gasquet~Lopez~Dimitrov~Nishikori~Kar lovic~Fognini~Gulbis
AsianSensation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
country flag DhammaTiger

DhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond reputeDhammaTiger has a reputation beyond repute

If you do like pad thai , I recommend you try it with "wun sen" noodles. Wun sen* noodles are made from mung bean, and are much lighter than the regular noodles. For me they are much tastier. Check your local Thai or Chinese store for wun sen noodles. I don't know what they call them in Chinese but in Thai it's wun sen.

* my Thai- English dictionary translates "wun sen" to vermicelli
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Lee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond reputeLee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmatiger View Post
* my Thai- English dictionary translates "wun sen" to vermicelli
Vermicelli refers more to the shape of noodle, not what the noodle is made of.

In North America, vermicelli usually refers to fresh rice noodles used in Vietnamese restaurants.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
country flag DhammaTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Vermicelli refers more to the shape of noodle, not what the noodle is made of.

In North America, vermicelli usually refers to fresh rice noodles used in Vietnamese restaurants.
I thought so too. In the Arab countries it refers to the very thin transparent noodles made from rice or flour. Wun sen is distinct. I guess for a want of better word they translate it as vermicelli. Would Chinese speakers, please enlighten me, what do you call it in Chinese (putong hua or Cantonese)?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
country flag Lee
Gugaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmatiger View Post
I thought so too. In the Arab countries it refers to the very thin transparent noodles made from rice or flour. Wun sen is distinct. I guess for a want of better word they translate it as vermicelli. Would Chinese speakers, please enlighten me, what do you call it in Chinese (putong hua or Cantonese)?
In Cantonese, it's "fun see". "fun" means rice noodle and "see" means silky thread.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #15
country flag DhammaTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
In Cantonese, it's "fun see". "fun" means rice noodle and "see" means silky thread.
Thanks for Lee for the info. But does "fun see" also cover noodles made of mung beans? I know mung bean noodles are used in Chinese food, because here in Saudi Arabia, supermarkets stock these noodles either from Taiwan or Thailand. In Filipino they are known as "sotanghon".
I suspect Thai word wun sen comes from a Chinese dialect. A lot of the Chinese food words have gone into Thai and were Thaiised.