Best way to compare Federer - Sampras - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
country flag enrico

enrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best way to compare Federer - Sampras

Given the fact that both men were born in August ten years apart (Sampras 1971, Federer 1981) it is relatively easy to compare their achievements at the same age. That's exactly what they did on
http://www.tennis28.com/studies/Federer_Sampras.html

For me this is by far the best Federer/Sampras compare because both are always compared at the same stage of their career (actually USO 1997/2007). At first sight it is interesting to find a lot of other similarities like birth date, weight, height, number of titles won, sort of titles won, winning percentages, most of the titles won at Wimbledon and USO, no FO title etc. Comparing the numbers Federer sometimes looks like a Sampras clone ten years after ...

Very interesting also the comparison of their rescaled ranking points at
http://www.tennis28.com/charts/Sampr...kingpoints.GIF

It gives you a hint when the players peaked. Sampras hit his ranking points peak in 1994 (more than 6500) and he nearly equaled that in 1995. Federer hit his points peak (until now) at the end of 2006 (more than 8000 points).
For me this graphic reflects very well their careers at the same stage. Sampras started earlier to win titles (and ranking points). His uprise was straightforward till 1994, then he ups and downs. Federer started later but peaked higher. That reflects his stronger domination of the game.

But it also gives you an indication of the possible future. Surely Fed will have ups and downs like Sampras had from now on (you can't win always 3 Slam a year), but he should stay on a higher level (ranking points wise) than Sampras and surpass him with his achievements. But of course you never know!

Last edited by enrico : 09-14-2007 at 01:14 PM.
enrico is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
country flag thesupreme

thesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond reputethesupreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to compare Federer - Sampras

^^god bless you sir, why havent people commented on this yet....this comparison is GOLD! Its better than a years worth of arguments on MTF alone, that 5 minutes of my time i HAVENT wasted on here...!
thesupreme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
country flag dragons112

dragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond reputedragons112 has a reputation beyond repute

what a stupid article.. you cant use petes level or decline in tennis as a precedent for roger. they play different games, they are different body wieghts, different opponontes. im sick of people comparing roger. History is not writeen just watch him play tennis and admire the best tennis player of the game. You guys should love the moment not try to pick it apart.

1.Federer
2.Tsonga
3.Safin
4.Roddick
dragons112 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
country flag rwn

rwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond reputerwn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico View Post
Given the fact that both men were born in August ten years apart (Sampras 1971, Federer 1981) it is relatively easy to compare their achievements at the same age. That's exactly what they did on
http://www.tennis28.com/studies/Federer_Sampras.html

For me this is by far the best Federer/Sampras compare because both are always compared at the same stage of their career (actually USO 1997/2007). At first sight it is interesting to find a lot of other similarities like birth date, weight, height, number of titles won, sort of titles won, winning percentages etc. Comparing the numbers Federer sometimes looks like a Sampras clone ten years after ...

Very interesting also the comparison of their rescaled ranking points at
http://www.tennis28.com/charts/Sampr...kingpoints.GIF

It gives you a hint when the players peaked. Sampras hit his ranking points peak in 1994 (more than 6500) and he nearly equaled that in 1995. Federer hit his points peak (until now) at the end of 2006 (more than 8000 points).
For me this graphic reflects very well their careers at the same stage. Sampras started earlier to win titles (and ranking points). His uprise was straightforward till 1994, then he ups and downs. Federer started later but peaked higher. That reflects his stronger domination of the game.

But it also gives you an indication of the possible future. Surely Fed will have ups and downs like Sampras had from now on (you can't win always 3 Slam a year), but he should stay on a higher level (ranking points wise) than Sampras and surpass him with his achievements. But of course you never know!
Federer started late, that often means a very long career at the top, but there's always injury danger of course. What's interesting about this comparison is that Sampras has more "minor" titles. Maybe he didn't only care about Grand Slams.
rwn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
country flag enrico

enrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond reputeenrico has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragons112 View Post
what a stupid article.. you cant use petes level or decline in tennis as a precedent for roger. they play different games, they are different body wieghts, different opponontes. im sick of people comparing roger. History is not writeen just watch him play tennis and admire the best tennis player of the game. You guys should love the moment not try to pick it apart.
If you think any comparison of different players is stupid, you are not obliged to do so.
In my opinion making comparisons is a natural thing and nothing wrong. As you compare Backhands or Forehands of different players, you can ask how great players handled their competition or compare their careers and achievements. You're right that history is not written yet because Federers career is far away from ending. That's why I like the Fed-Sampras-Compare-Website, because it focuses on the moment (what Sampras and Federer achieved till USO 1997/2007).

And by the way. I love to watch Federer play as I loved watching Sampras. Making Comparisons doesn't bother me to really enjoy his game (and Nadals and other players too).

Last edited by enrico : 09-14-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
country flag adee-gee
_._._._._._

adee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond reputeadee-gee has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to compare them is not to compare them at all
adee-gee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
country flag enrico

Interesting too, that Federer had six first round losses at Grand Slams. You don't expect that, but it shows how he struggled in the beginning to get his act together. Because he has a complete game it seems he needed more time to play at a contantly high level. His variety and choosing the right shots (too many options) made it much more difficult for him to break through. If you compare this to the young guns, you see that for example Nadal never had a first round loss and Gasquet already eight. Gasquet reminds me gamewise a lot of Federer and it will be interesting to see whether he can break through like Federer and and win a Grand Slam the next two years.

http://www.tennis28.com/studies/YG_Compare.html
Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
country flag mongo

mongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond reputemongo has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought this was was the best way to compare the two.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp GS_Pete v Roger.bmp (318.8 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by mongo : 09-14-2007 at 02:05 PM.
mongo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
country flag enrico

Wink Re: Best way to compare Federer - Sampras

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
I've always thought this was was the best way to compare the two.
You're right, the last was off topic
Old 09-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

i've seen that site before, and it's interesting.

It's tough to compare players who only played eachother once during different points in their careers.

comparing numbers only works when comparing cars. You don't have to race a GT3 against an M3 to make sure which ones faster. But sadly, that's not true of tennis. It's all about matchups, peaks, contemporaries, etc.

All you can do is give opinions.

Last edited by RagingLamb : 09-14-2007 at 05:42 PM.
RagingLamb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

Wilander was a better player than Federer at 20, but they aren't be compared as players as Wilander on his best day, isn't close to Federer.

The age comparison fails big time, doesn't take into account gamestyles, peak years and other factors that numbers can't measure accurately.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
country flag alexbayen

alexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond reputealexbayen has a reputation beyond repute

First, Numbers are only half the story. Just by looking at those numbers, one could conclude the two are more or less similar. But these numbers don't reflect just how brilliant Federer's game is (was - given his current form
Sampras, let's face it, was Sampras because of his serve and hence he didn't capture my imagination.

Second, one missing piece of statistics is their win-loss percentage every year (for the years in the charts). My guess is that will show how complete Federer's domination has been at his peak.

Finally, can someone comment on why Sampras played a lot more tournaments on carpet than Federer? Have those tournaments been done away with?
alexbayen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute

There were a lot more events on carpet when Sampras played, but they changed it cause the way the game just serving exhibitions.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
country flag RagingLamb
Motherhater

RagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond reputeRagingLamb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbayen View Post
First, Numbers are only half the story. Just by looking at those numbers, one could conclude the two are more or less similar. But these numbers don't reflect just how brilliant Federer's game is (was - given his current form
Sampras, let's face it, was Sampras because of his serve and hence he didn't capture my imagination.

Second, one missing piece of statistics is their win-loss percentage every year (for the years in the charts). My guess is that will show how complete Federer's domination has been at his peak.

Finally, can someone comment on why Sampras played a lot more tournaments on carpet than Federer? Have those tournaments been done away with?
would you say they capture how Pete's game was?

also if you think Sampras was Sampras because of his serve, then you probably didn't pay very close attention to his game.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #15
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingLamb View Post
would you say they capture how Pete's game was?

also if you think Sampras was Sampras because of his serve, then you probably didn't pay very close attention to his game.
on his best day, sampras was a complete player.

but in 60-70% of his matches, sampras served and attacked like a beast to hold on his own serve. then for about 1 min each set, sampras would decide to play on the ROS.

so while sampras certainly wasnt all serve, he made it seem like that way.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote