Mens Tennis Forums banner

Why Fed doesn't like Nole...

7K views 120 replies 54 participants last post by  Fedex 
#1 ·
...and what had happened back in time when Switzerland played Serbia in Daviscup. Just take a look at what had been written afterwards on the official homepage of the Joker:

Novak's father Srdjan Djokovic: "Federer scared!"
Novak Djokovic is indignant at the way Roger Federer accused him! While out tennis player, following great battle in Geneva, congratulated the Swiss on victory with a handful of compliments, world's best player improperly stated that Djokovic had been misusing medical time outs and that his injuries had been "funny".
- Novak is appalled by what Federer said and still cannot believe that Swiss tennis player accused him in such a disgraceful manner. To put it bluntly, Novak was speechless – said the father of our best tennis player, Srdjan Djokovic. – Roger's statement reveals that he is, in fact, a great player but a humble, very humble person!

Srdjan Djokovic underlines that Novak never abused a medical time out.
- Anyone who knows my son or anyone who has seen him on court at least a few times, is aware of the fact that he is a true sportsman. Novak is currently the only tennis player in the world who applauds when the opponent wins a beautiful point! There's no room for talk about pretences, since he injured his crutch in the match against Stanislas Wawrinka on Friday, but despite that he gave it his best shot against Federer. People seem to forget that Novak is still very young and that difficult, marathon matches represent an immense effort for him.

The father of our tennis player pinpoints the reason why the Swiss accused Novak.
- Basically, Federer was afraid! He is well aware of the fact that Novak will soon reach the very top, that he'll be No. 1 on the ATP list and that is the reason behind his scandalous statements. Even after the match in Geneva, Novak approached Federer to give him a sportsman's hug and to congratulate him, but he looked away!

Since Federer gave his statements, the Djokovic family found it difficult to read the writings of national media.
- Believe me when I say that Novak cried when he had read the reports in our papers. During those three days, he fought vigorously for our country, and came back to read insults in printed and electronic media, which focused on Federer's unfair allegations, leaving out the play of our national team – Srdjan Djokovic expressed his bitterness.

NOVAK No. 1
Srdjan Djokovic is mostly bothered by the fact that nobody stood up for Novak.
- Neither the Tennis Association, nor the journalists, no one defended Novak. I fear that many will regret this. We are obviously left to ourselves, but despite that, Novak will be world's best tennis player – says Srdjan Djokovic.

Translated by Marija Novkovic

See less See more
#2 ·
lol i gotta say his dad is an absolute prick. He's just another stubborn proud parents in the likes of Russian, Serbia and so on. These guys are smart , they're great people. But it is their arrogance, over-confidence, stubborness and the way they still live in the past that lead to their downfall.

#3 ·
Perhaps the father is telling the truth? It is natural for a father to stand up for his son. Roger, the best player in the world, did not need to make those insulting statements even IF what he said was true. Novak does seem to be a very nice person who gives credit to other players who make great shots against him. Roger was lucky Novak choked away all those set points in the first two sets of the USO final. Perhaps Roger likes Novak better now-lol!!

#84 ·
Yeah, Roger was lucky, because after that first set, it looked like Djokovic would have run away with any chances he had... that is, until he was beaten in straight sets.

I am a huge fan of Federer. But I still think he over-reacted to the whole Djokovic issue. Other Federer fans may like it or not but Djokovic does applaud Federer shots, does seem very friendly at the net (while Federer seems really cold/bitchy) and Novak definitely has a nice personality off the court.

But honestly, this whole Novak-Federer issue has left me a little cold about Federer. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely admire this guy and think he's truly the greatest tennis champion on and off court. But I think he's handled the Novak issue very childishly.
Maybe because Federer speaks frankly about almost anything? He won't shy away from the fact that he's 9-0 against Davydenko, but then he'll explain why the match will be difficult, not with some fluff about "he's playing well, he's #1" but a "we had a hard semifinal last year..."

And claiming Federer to be "really cold/bitchy" is unbelievable. He almost always puts his arm around his opponent after the match, often continuing to congratulate them with a pat on the back and a few words after they've already turned to go to the chair. And it's so great to see the way he and Rafa get along, with more warmth and friendship than you'll see from almost any rivalry: they're handshake in Hamburg was so human, real people showing real respect for each other after having competed so many times, after having come closer over many intensive battles and mutual turmoil.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cj8qStZ0SNk

I think Federer feels a little intimidated by Novak's personality and sense of humour, because no matter how great Federer is on-court as a tennis player off-court he seems to lack both personality and humour and standing beside Djokovic exposes that part of him. That's why he's more at ease with Nadal who barely speaks any English and leaves the show to him so that he can speak about his upset tummy before his n'th GS final, etc...
"Seems" is the key here, because in comparison, Djokovic is a clown. All the publicity stunts he pulls, with his repetitive impersonations. Like McEnroe and Mary said, if you put a camera on him, he will perform. Sadly, people are duped into thinking that this acting, which is exactly what it is, is some " charismatic personality." It's sad because acting for attention is often a stunt of a kid. Instead of doing that, Roger is off in Basel serving pizza to the ball kids.

And in the humor department, which is subjective, I much prefer Federer's dry wit, or at least this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zu69WQqxzxo

Why do people equate brash, extroverted (tasteless) humour with 'personality'?
Exactly. It's fairly shallow to see him as some charismatic bastion of tennis personality, amid an era of cold nothings. He shows off for the camera and gets some laughs by making fun of his fellow competitors. "Ha, what a great kid." :rolleyes:

As for results, we'll repeat this chat this time next year and see where we stand :)
You can keep saying "next year" until they're both long gone. People were hyping the USO final, thinking Djokovic had a chance to take down Federer. The sad truth is, Roddick put up more of a fight. It's like a broken record, but wake me up when Djokovic takes a non-tiebreak set from Federer, only make sure to wait until it's a slam set.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Federer acts like any alpha male trying to subtly bully his opponents into doing what he wants them to do. He does this by doling out both criticism and praise alternately. He dispenses his good humor like a king handing out alms to the poor. It is not to enrich the poor but rather to enrich the King's his esteem. Federer is the alpha dog and the underlings are thrilled to get his approval. Remember when he was giving Ivan high praise, and Ivan just wiggled and wagged like a puppy? :lol:

The one who is most likely to dethrone the king is to not give a fig about what he thinks but to pretend that he does. :)
Federer performing his standard alpha male role to a T: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qe41tVyKjqw

Well it's true. Apart from being a great tennis player, federer seems to be pretty shallow and uninteresting. Novak, on the other hand, has it all... great tennis skill, charisma, contact with the audience etc. Like Nescafe 3 in 1! :cool:
Yeah, Federer is so shallow. He should do some impersonations to show how un-shallow he is. Never mind these completely human emotional meltdowns like AO '06 trophy presentations where he can't stop hugging a guy because he has so much respect for him.

So, what I'm saying is: Nadal's getting to Wimby F should be attributed to vis maior to AT LEAST AN EQUAL DEGREE as to his grass abilities. And that vis maior moment is often neglected in wins by retirement.
:rolleyes:

#5 ·
Roger's statement reveals that he is, in fact, a great player but a humble, very humble person!
I think something was lost in translation there.

Novak is currently the only tennis player in the world who applauds when the opponent wins a beautiful point!
:haha: The one and ONLY!! :haha:

The Djokovics are :retard:

#6 ·
I'm glad Roger called Nole out on those medical timeouts as "a joke". Brings more interest to tennis. We need spats, rivalries, real hatred between players. However Fedal fans unite in their love for Roger/Rafa.

#9 ·
- Novak is appalled by what Federer said and still cannot believe that Swiss tennis player accused him in such a disgraceful manner. To put it bluntly, Novak was speechless – said the father of our best tennis player, Srdjan Djokovic. – Roger's statement reveals that he is, in fact, a great player but a humble, very humble person!
:devil:
Some translation. I'm willing to bet my house that he said something quite the opposite... :)

#15 ·
Funny that Federer does not call Nadal a joke, even though it is Nadal and not djokovic who for 2 years has been way way closer to him. And 5-8 in the h2h. If there is anyone Federer may have been afraid of it is Nadal. Not djokovic. How ridiculous this father is! :rolls:

One of those omnipresent eastern european pushy dads. Damir, Yuri and now this clown. :haha: What a collection we have :rolleyes: Why can't they just do their own thing and not try to get a name for themselves through their kids? Shoo!

#28 · (Edited)
There are so many idiotics statements in your post that I don't even know where to start :rolleyes:

First of all :
This exactly IS a reason why Federer is NOT afraid of Nadal.
In just about every interview I've seen of Federer when he's asked who's his toughest competitor he logically answers nadal

Rafa's been close, true, but for too long without really jeopardizing Roger
Rafa took at least one or two RG crowns away from Roger, thus preventing him from winning THE SLAM and pushed him big time at wimby, no one has even come close to doing that

Rafa has the stamina, but has no play.
... Nadal's not the only athlete in the world with amazing stamina but I've yet to see any of them do what he can do on a clay court...

Novak has no stamina, but has the play
And the for the finish : drum rolls plz.... the reason he's tired at the end of slams is because of the amount of time he spends on the court grinding matches because most of the time he can't win easily , which means that his play or if you prefer his style of play, is the problem not his stamina.

#29 ·
I am a huge fan of Federer. But I still think he over-reacted to the whole Djokovic issue. Other Federer fans may like it or not but Djokovic does applaud Federer shots, does seem very friendly at the net (while Federer seems really cold/bitchy) and Novak definitely has a nice personality off the court. I am not yet a fan of Novak's game because I don't really see anything exciting in it but he's 20 and it's possible he may develop into a brilliant player.

But I really don't get why Federer puts down Novak time and again. The statements made by Novak's father are Novak's fathers! Not Novak's. I don't think Novak fakes injury on the court. He does seem to get tired. Hopefully he'll improve with time.

But honestly, this whole Novak-Federer issue has left me a little cold about Federer. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely admire this guy and think he's truly the greatest tennis champion on and off court. But I think he's handled the Novak issue very childishly.

#38 ·
roger is certainly more afraid after the usopen final than before :lol:

nole is such a great sportsman. This is true. Federer practically giftwrapped the 1st set but nole was too polite to accept his gifts.

#47 ·
I think Federer feels a little intimidated by Novak's personality and sense of humour, because no matter how great Federer is on-court as a tennis player off-court he seems to lack both personality and humour and standing beside Djokovic exposes that part of him. That's why he's more at ease with Nadal who barely speaks any English and leaves the show to him so that he can speak about his upset tummy before his n'th GS final, etc...

#51 ·
Extroverted humor doesn't have to be tasteless at all but it certainly can be if they sort of try too hard. Some people just naturally come across as funny, e.g. Safin, but some like Djok just try too hard to be funny. It seems just like a desperate attempt at quickly growing a fan base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.