Your Round Robin group is a Wonderland (TMC Thread, no we're not joking he's there) - Page 99 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #1471
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Round Robin group is a Wonderland (TMC Thread, no we're not joking he's ther

Go Andy!

actually Tom Perrota wrote live from the match for tennis.com and after Andy's press conference he wrote again about it:
Quote:
The press conferences have ended. I'm sure some of you will be looking at transcripts later; if you decide from the text that Roddick was a bit snippy, trust me, not the case (I give him credit for holding a solid conference after a very bad match and answering a lot of questions). The first questioner of the night didn't speak the greatest English; Andy went on the offensive a bit, but immediately backed down and was low-key and pretty insightful, as press conferences go.

The big thing, for me, was his comment that Federer presents a match-up problem for him. Of course, Federer is a bad match-up for almost anyone, but he's the perfect player to face Roddick, and Roddick is the perfect opponent for Federer. Federer gets more serves into play than anyone I've ever seen; he doesn't often do a lot with those returns, but he hits them deep enough to get into a rally. From there, he's the better player. Roddick never seems to hit many forehand winners against Federer--not enough pace for Federer's quickness. Federer passes as well as anyone; Roddick isn't natural at the net. Roddick doesn't generate a lot of his own pace on the backhand (ever notice his rippers come off his opponent's hard shots); Federer plays a lot of soft slice over there and then runs around the next ball for a winning, or near winning, forehand. Tonight we saw all of this and more. Federer volleyed well, served incredibly well (83% first serves), hit 33 winners to 13 unforced errors, and tied Roddick in aces with 7 (Roddick has out aced Federer only a couple of times in their meetings; don't have those numbers handy, but I don't think it's more than twice or thrice).

I asked Roddick to talk more about the match-up. If that's the case, what do you do?

"Well you know, you just dissect it even more," he said. "I promise you this isn't for lack of thought or lack of conversation or lack of work, all of the above. My answer probably gets redundant to this question. You get up, you work, you try to think your way through it, hope for that day. There's not much more you can do. I'm certainly not going to quit or feel sorry for myself. That's not going to happen."

Easy to believe that. How many of you out there think that Roddick's day will arrive?
Andy

EDIT: plus a little bit more from Andy:
Quote:

"It seems like most times we play, he's on top of his game, which is a little annoying," Roddick said. "I guess I just have to figure out what about my game brings out the best in him and try to adjust. You see some of the guys who beat him are quick. Unfortunately, that's not my strength. You kind of have to go with what you're good at, try to make adjustments."
"When you're down 6-4 4-0 you're not adoring your chances,"

Such was his frustration, Roddick reduced one racket to a mangled heap, smashing it repeatedly against his heel after going down a double break in the second set.

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish

Last edited by Kate87 : 11-16-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #1472
country flag blosson
La La Land

blosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond reputeblosson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Round Robin group is a Wonderland (TMC Thread, no we're not joking he's ther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston's Human View Post
It looks like a pattern:

Close loss in 2006 TMC
Bad loss in 2007 AO
Close loss in 2007 USO
Bad loss in 2007 TMC
Close loss in 2004 Wimby
Bad loss in 2005 Wimby

Quite boring vicious circle actually.
blosson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #1473
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a great match to watch. Good luck against Ferrer. I win win situation for me
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #1474
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

I actually agree with Federer, “Let’s not overrate today’s match, because we both qualified, both could play freely,”. I said before the match wouldn't you prefer a Roddick win in the final? It's clear Andy didn't play his best today but it was like a "dead rubber"(as you say in Davis Cup). Ok ok, yes I know, a win is a win...but if Andy had won, everyone would have just said it didn't matter, Roger gave it to him. I mean I remember Andy's win over Roger at Kooyong in January, that win was written off as well because the match held no significance. If I could chose I think I would rather have the wins in meaningful situations, but, I'll take some wins instead of no wins. The summarize, it will be a whole different ball game in the final, and I just hope Andy gets there.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #1475
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Round Robin group is a Wonderland

Poor Roger Federer. His GOAT legacy will continue to be cast into doubt until he can prove his critics wrong and beat a 100% sharp Andy Roddick instead of this clown who keeps showing up. Until that day arrives, Roger will have to live with his nearly-man status.

On to Dahveed next. I disagree with Kaylee, I would prefer Andy face Nadal next instead of Ferrer for two reasons: one, David has been playing the best tennis of his life lately and his ability to run down everything poses a definite problem for Andy; and two, Andy will want his revenge against both Ferrer and Nadal (both of whom beat him the last time) but I think his chances of defeating a somewhat injured Nadal over a healthy and very confident Ferrer are better.

So hopefully Andy can forget about Roger and just focus on David. It won't be easy. Andy's match with Nalbandian at last year's TMC after losing a close one with Roger was tough to watch. He was grumpy the whole time and never looked comfortable on court.

Happily, Davis Cup is just around the corner.

From the press conference:

"What the fuck kind of question is that, lady?"

*edit*
More photos.

RR: Federer def Roddick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vsfed20.jpg (47.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed19.jpg (54.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed18.jpg (55.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed17.jpg (66.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed16.jpg (68.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed15.jpg (71.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed14.jpg (63.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed13.jpg (50.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed12.jpg (59.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed11.jpg (129.0 KB, 1 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 11-27-2007 at 01:48 AM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #1476
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

"Well you know, you just dissect it even more," he said. "I promise you this isn't for lack of thought or lack of conversation or lack of work, all of the above. My answer probably gets redundant to this question. You get up, you work, you try to think your way through it, hope for that day. There's not much more you can do. I'm certainly not going to quit or feel sorry for myself. That's not going to happen."

Thank you Andy. That's why I'm still a fan of your 'one-dimensional, serve only, foul-mouthed, arrogant American, picking on Djokovic in front of cameras, and other bullshit' tennis.

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #1477
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. At this point Andy's head to head with Roger is meaningless. No matter how many times Roger beats Andy to a pulp, the fact that Andy hasn't crawled away and totally given up (as Coria did, among others) is admirable. Andy is one tough bronco, even Roger cannot kill his will or spirit.

*edit*
Last group of pics.

RR: Federer def Roddick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vsfed10.jpg (77.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed9.jpg (88.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed8.jpg (197.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed7.jpg (174.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed6.jpg (72.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed5.jpg (79.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed4.jpg (86.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed3.jpg (67.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed2.jpg (247.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vsfed.jpg (85.6 KB, 1 views)
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums

Last edited by tangerine_dream : 11-27-2007 at 01:54 AM.
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #1478
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't want to be right anyway.

Did he take that racket to his freshly healed heal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
and that no matter how many times Roger beats Andy to a pulp he still can't kill his will or his spirit, is really admirable.
That is because of the Love they share.

Last edited by partygirl : 11-16-2007 at 07:13 PM.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #1479
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

As Tangerine says roll on Davis Cup.

I still feel that Andy can beat David. Most of the players that Ferrer has faced don't have that killer serve and forehand, having said that yes David has been playing lights out tennis and he has faced some good opponents BUT Andy is in a different league to even Rafa (who is not 100%) and Gasquet (who was in his first year end final) and Noly forgot to show up (sorry I love him really but still) - it will be interesting and I really wouldn't like to call this one.

Hopefully Andy will remember the the matches he has played and forget Roger - as said in the articles they just are not a good match up.
kaylee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #1480
country flag partygirl

partygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond reputepartygirl has a reputation beyond repute

i put Vcash on Andydrew last night.
partygirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #1481
country flag kristanmichelle

kristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond reputekristanmichelle has a reputation beyond repute

I really admire his perspective and attitude. I hope he can shrug off the Fed match and be ready to play Ferrer. Ferrer is in such good form recently, hopefully it will be a good match, whoever wins. Also, I am excited for DC after seeing Andy play here.
kristanmichelle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #1482
country flag Kate87

Kate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond reputeKate87 has a reputation beyond repute

the racket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U1243P355T25D644F368DT20071116233529.jpg (280.7 KB, 1 views)

besides them rooting for: Bob Bryan; Mike Bryan; MarTy Fish
Kate87 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #1483
country flag kaylee

kaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond reputekaylee has a reputation beyond repute

http://video.sina.com.cn/sports/t/bn...02446111.shtml - courtesy of ar.com (yes I know but wonderful Deb is not around today).
Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #1484
country flag MissFairy

MissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond reputeMissFairy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post

Thank you Andy. That's why I'm still a fan of your 'one-dimensional, serve only, foul-mouthed, arrogant American, picking on Djokovic in front of cameras, and other bullshit' tennis.
Fee, you know i adore your posts at the best of times, and you haven't let me down today

It takes a strong-minded, sporting competitor to be able to even stomach the thought of playing Roger again and again without success, yet Andy (most of the time) comes out plays hard and still even manages to show some marvel at Rogerers shots on court. Good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
Happily, Davis Cup is just around the corner.

From the press conference:

"What the fuck kind of question is that, lady?"

Okay so one, i cannot wait until DC weekend. I LOVE USAs chances with a suuper pumped Andy and the twins (...and James ) and DC-Andy is always funfunfun (: and two, that picture is effing GREAT and he should keep that face for all the dumbass questions they throw at him E-V-E-R-Y time he sits in front of the press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston's Human View Post
It looks like a pattern:

Close loss in 2006 TMC
Bad loss in 2007 AO
Close loss in 2007 USO
Bad loss in 2007 TMC
Although that is a sad line of consecutive losses, the close matches (for me, at least) were some of the best tennis i've watched Andy play. In terms of spirit, competitiveness and entertainment, they are unparalleled by most matches i see and for that i'm grateful (: ...but a close win would do just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylee View Post
umm look I am glad that Andy is playing David rather than Rafa. Andy doesn't have a good match up against Rafa - I agree with some of these comments though - Roger and Andy are not good - Andy and David - better. I am looking forward to seeing Roger/Rafa match - Andy played good tennis up to Roger match let us hope that Jimmy gives him a good talking to and that Andy goes into the David match fired up again!
I am not looking forward to tomorrow At the beginning of the week, i sorta picked Ferrer to make it to sunday and now i see the semi-final standings, i would obviously like to rewrite that but it's going to be tough. Ferrer is playing out of his skin good, and he can cover ground , and i'm worried Andy will get frustrated early on in the match as he tends to do. Ferrer beat him in Cincy was it? And that wasn't great from Andy, if i remember rightly. If Andy can bring the form from 1st set Davydenko or how he played Gonzo, it'll be some good watching but still
I also did not eat Curry 'cos it rhymes with Murray.

I fangirl for Roddickulous, Youzhless and the Djoke.
g1MmYM@NnN!!!122!!
MissFairy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #1485
country flag kaylee

Yeah I was trying to be positive however look at the people Ferrer has beaten not in form Rafa and a wilting Gasquet. I agree David is playing really well and Andy has to bring is A game. I am always nervous when he plays, I thought he would lose to Gonzo but he proved me wrong on that score so I am hedging my bets and willing him to prove me wrong again!