The US Open trophy presentation is a complete joke! - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute
Default The US Open trophy presentation is a complete joke!

Seriously, have you ever seen such a quick trophy presentation after a Grand Slam?? The players have barely time to speak and thank everyone because they have to answer Dick Enberg's questions, and to me it ruins totally the trophy presentation... They say like 2 sentences, and it's over! I simply love it to see emotion and tears, like we have seen so many times in AO, RG especially and Wimbledon, but the players don't even have time to show their emotions at the US Open because CBS can't wait to end their program and broadcast 60 seconds... The other Grand Slams have such beautiful trophy presentations, there is always a great preparation for it and you can actually feel the importance of the event. For such a great event like the US Open, I think it's a shame.. I can only admire Kim Clijsters who stole the microphone from Dick's hands in 2005 and took aalll her time, that was great

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - Grigor Dimitrov

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
country flag CyBorg

CyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The US Open trophy presentation...

Here's why the US Open blows:

1) Religious indoctrination of the public during the opening ceremony, including the song "God bless America". Thank you - we already knew you are ape-shit over religion, no need to rub it in.

2) Religious indoctrination of the public during the trophy presentation. Eg. "We're all blessed..." Why not just get a bunch of priests to conduct a boy's choir ensemble of "Roger is so great, but not as great as God"?
CyBorg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
country flag scoobs
Anastasia Komananov, KGB

scoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond reputescoobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The US Open trophy presentation is a complete joke!

It was very abbreviated this time - a long aria from the President of the USTA and then no time for either player to properly thank their supporters or express themselves.

Maybe they all had early flights.
scoobs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is God, God created Roger Federer. We know that already CyBorg. It's on that Wimbledon church.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
country flag ezekiel

ezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond reputeezekiel has a reputation beyond repute

the shorter the better, there is no point in dragging it and forcing players and officials in cheezy and ridiculous emotional rants and telling of embellished life stories . I mute it usually as it makes me queasy in stomach

Another thing that makes me queasy is religious patriotic indoctrination which made me sick as non American and I think many poeople in America feel that way but then again America's biggest allies are Israel and Saudi Arabia and not just for obvious reasons
ezekiel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
country flag CyBorg

CyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond reputeCyBorg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post
the shorter the better, there is no point in dragging it and forcing players and officials in cheezy and ridiculous emotional rants and telling of embellished life stories . I mute it usually as it makes me queasy in stomach

Another thing that makes me queasy is religious patriotic indoctrination which made me sick as non American and I think many poeople in America feel that way but then again America's biggest allies are Israel and Saudi Arabia and not just for obvious reasons
Don't forget the huge US Flag the size of the tennis court. It was the equivalent of America crying out that it has the biggest penis in the world.

We heard you the first time, America. And your big penis prematurely ejaculated all over Iraq.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

Allure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it was short. But I, too, am not a big fan of the long, overdrawn emotional speeches ''I want to thank the fans, sponsor, my coach, my parents, God, the vendor selling hotdogs...'' Just give them their money, let them say one or two sentences, and let them go back and celebrate or for the loser cry.
Kudryavtseva def. Sharapova 6-2, 6-4
Tipsarevic def. Roddick 6-7, 7-5, 6-4, 7-6
Dancevic def. Nalbandian 6-4, 6-2, 6-4
Zheng def. Ivanovic 6-1, 6-4
Tanasugarn def. Jankovic 6-3, 6-2
Radwanska def. Kuznetsova 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
Allure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
country flag FedFan_2007

FedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond reputeFedFan_2007 has a reputation beyond repute

CyBorg - must you ejaculate your left-wing politics all over this board? Yuck.
FedFan_2007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #9
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

What I really dislike is the glorification of Federer's $2.4 million cheque, as though it was his greatest achievement of the night. I mean it's just a figure, yes an impressive one, but drawing level with Emerson on 12 Slams in second place on the all-time list is a rather more significant figure, don't you think? But then everybody would probably be saying "Roy who?", such is the nature of things.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
country flag CyBorg

It's nice to know that Roger is now as good as Roy Emerson. Thank goodness we have Dick Enberg and his trusty list of all-time major winners to confirm that Roger is Emerson's league.

Of course Roger will have to wait a few months to become better than Emerson.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
country flag celia

celia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond reputecelia has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: The US Open trophy presentation is a complete joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
Seriously, have you ever seen such a quick trophy presentation after a Grand Slam?? The players have barely time to speak and thank everyone because they have to answer Dick Enberg's questions, and to me it ruins totally the trophy presentation... They say like 2 sentences, and it's over! I simply love it to see emotion and tears, like we have seen so many times in AO, RG especially and Wimbledon, but the players don't even have time to show their emotions at the US Open because CBS can't wait to end their program and broadcast 60 seconds... The other Grand Slams have such beautiful trophy presentations, there is always a great preparation for it and you can actually feel the importance of the event. For such a great event like the US Open, I think it's a shame.. I can only admire Kim Clijsters who stole the microphone from Dick's hands in 2005 and took aalll her time, that was great
It had everything to do with TV -- they had already run significantly into the time period allocated for '60 minutes'. Which is why the USTA president (IMHO) made a POINT of saying that the US Open Men's Final was the largest sporting event in the world in terms of attendance. She was (IMHO) attempting to justify the run over. Katie Couric probably got pissed anyway -- her show being crap and all.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #12
country flag CyBorg

I almost forgot - The Ashe arena is the LARGEST of the all the grand slam phalluses... errr arenas, according to Mary Carillo.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #13
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBorg View Post
It's nice to know that Roger is now as good as Roy Emerson. Thank goodness we have Dick Enberg and his trusty list of all-time major winners to confirm that Roger is Emerson's league.

Of course Roger will have to wait a few months to become better than Emerson.
Did I actually say anywhere in my post that Federer was as good as Emerson, better, worse, anything? No, I just said he had drawn level on Slams. What on earth bit you the last few weeks?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #14
country flag CyBorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjengster View Post
Did I actually say anywhere in my post that Federer was as good as Emerson, better, worse, anything? No, I just said he had drawn level on Slams. What on earth bit you the last few weeks?
I wasn't responding to you. I was commenting about how overrated Emerson is because of a disposable statistic.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 AM   #15
country flag Sjengster

I don't tend to regard Slam tallies as disposable statistics, that's all. I mean yes, they were pre-Open Era, but he still had the record until just over seven years ago.