Federer v Kiefer, 3 set parade, or upset?? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #1
country flag Haasfan

Haasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond reputeHaasfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer v Kiefer, 3 set parade, or upset??

I think this match is interesting, Kiefer leads Federer 3-2 in head to head, I dont think theyve played each other on clay though. So what do u guys think, will Kiefer actually play his best tennis and give Federer a scare, or will it be a simpe 6/3 6/3 6/2 win??
Haasfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer v Kiefer, 3 set parade, or upset??

if everything goes normal Kiefer will not have any chance, but Kiefer leading 3-2 in h2h is not too bad and he has beaten Federer three times in three close sets on hardcourt and once in Halle, a tournament Kiefer played well throughout his career. (see Kiefer's Halle cheering thread, I've posted his results over the last few years there).
Sure, Federer was a top player at these times, too... but he improved so much since these meeting Kiefer could win that I'm not considering the h2h wins of Kiwi for too significant.

In 2003 Federer was in a zone en route to his Wimbledon victory and Kiefer had no chance against him in Halle as Federer was winning easily in two sets 6-1 6-3.

If everything goes normal I'm expecting Roger to win in three clear sets 6-2 6-3 6-2 or something like that. He should be able to break Kiefer at will whenever he wants to and needs the break.

Actually I would be happy if Kiefer would win only ONE SINGLE SET against Roger or if Kiefer loses in tight sets, such as 6-4 7-6 6-4

I'm really a big Kiefer fan, but I'm staying with reality right now and I just can't see ANY CHANCE, NO CHANCE AT ALL for Kiwi here for an upset

I just hope for a good performance from Kiefer and that the match lasts longer than 90 minutes.

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
WyveN
Banned!

WyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond reputeWyveN has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard to see how Kiefer is going to be winning points consistently without Federer errors and from the mood Federer was in the first round I don't think he will be making lots of errors.
I do expect it to be closer then his first round match though.
WyveN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
country flag Space Cowgirl

Space Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond reputeSpace Cowgirl has a reputation beyond repute

The way Federer is playing right now, Kiefer hasn't a hope. He even said as much in an interview the other day. But then if Federer plays like he did in Rome, Kiefer would be in with a shot. Likelihood of that: 0%, I'd say

Rainer = Lion
Kiwi = Scarecrow
Tommy = Tin Man
Flo = Dorothy

...but I still love 'em

Member #2 of Waskeholics United
Space Cowgirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
country flag SaFed2005

SaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond reputeSaFed2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Federer should win pretty easily
SaFed2005 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:24 PM   #6
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

I think either a close straight sets or a four sets win for Federer. It will be tougher than the first round since Kiefer has game and will be attacking the net and trying to pressurise Federer, and that's the way to play him even on clay provided you know what you're doing. That said, if Federer gets into long baseline rallies and gets the ball up high with spin on Kiefer's forehand he should win the majority of those points.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #7
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Rogi seemed so relieved, like having a huge load off his shoulder after 1st round win. Didn't get to watch that match but from the stats and observation from others, it seemed like a clean match. Great to see that he had many more winners than errors in the 1st rd match, which is quite rare from him.

Hopefully he's gonna kept getting better, like his usual trend. He seemed to have brought the right attitude coming into RG this year too.

Come on Rogi! Just keep playing good match till at least QF when I finally get to watch you
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM   #8
KarstenBraasch#1

KarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond reputeKarstenBraasch#1 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger Federer def. Kiefer 6-4 6-2 6-0
KarstenBraasch#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
country flag Sjengster

Sjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond reputeSjengster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDom
Roger Federer def. Kiefer 6-4 6-2 6-0
I think we both hope for this sort of scoreline GoDom, but for different reasons.

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember this one time when I went on a vacation on the Maldives. That was in the year 2001, I think. I went to this spa. I went to walk around with my girlfriend. I walk in, and we want to book a spa. This guy goes, "AHH, I remember you. You beat Sampras. I saw you on TV." That was like, really, how can you remember me? This guy has probably never been off his island and still knows me. I was a little bit shocked. Then I went to play tennis with him because he was actually the tennis teacher. It was nice.

Q. Were you naked at the time in the spa?

ROGER FEDERER: No. It was at the front desk. I didn't walk in naked.
Sjengster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

I think (and hope) it'll be an easy match for Roger

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:43 PM   #11
country flag YoursTruly

YoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond reputeYoursTruly has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Federer v Kiefer, 3 set parade, or upset??

Straight sets for Roger, but maybe a set for Kiefer if his best arrives to play.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:43 AM   #12
country flag Ballbuster

Ballbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond reputeBallbuster has a reputation beyond repute

3 set parade
Ballbuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:39 AM   #13
country flag Fedex

Fedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond reputeFedex has a reputation beyond repute

3 sets. Fairly easy match for Roger. Kiefer will attack the net, but if Federer is sharp like the other day, he will pass Kiefer more often than not, as this is clay, and gives Federer even more time to set up his passing shots. Plus Roger can do a little Serve & Volleying himself if he feels pressured to.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:28 PM   #14
jtipson

jtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond reputejtipson has a reputation beyond repute

3 sets, but he was very lucky to get away with that. I've not seen Roger serve that badly for a long time. I'm surprised to see he had such a good winner - unforced error ratio, it sure didn't seem that way.
jtipson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #15
country flag LCeh

LCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond reputeLCeh has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed jtipson. I only got to watch from the second set 5-4 on, and Roger didn't seem to hit that many winners.

Kiefer did a really good job attacking the net, and I think this would be good preparation for Roger. he seems to be winning the backcourt rallies pretty easily.

Nevertheless, good win Rogi!
LCeh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote