Fred Thompson...? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Reply

Old 10-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #16
country flag Sparko1030
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
But the man this thread is about is running for president. I think he is campaigning, not just telling us poor, less fortunate people what is good for us.
And I think the reason that so many Hollywood celebrities are ''liberal'' is that they can afford to be. Just try and tell them that their personal wealth is going to be redistributed and see how many are so liberal when the chips are down.
And do you really think that by allying yourself with the Hollywood liberal set that some of their glamour rubs off on you, thus making conservatives jealous? I don't think so.
I am not American, but I would say that the people of the country music world, as you put it, are far more representative of the soul of America than the celebrities in their Malibu mansions, that you will probably never be welcome in.


Do you think Fred Thompson would be in the position to run for senator or president if he had not been a celebrity? Did he have to run for office before he had a right to express his views? Everyone in this country has a right to voice their views-famous/unknown, rich/poor etc. Its the public's responsiblity to discern who to listen to and how much weight we give their opinion.

I think many in the entertainment world are liberal due to the nature of what types of personalities become actors. Artists of all kinds are more free thinking. Not many conservative free thinkers I should think. I have no idea what Hollywood liberals would do when the chips are down for them. I imagine there would be as wide a reaction as in any sample of the population. They are not worse or better than non celebrities and I should think stereotyping them would be inaccurate. Its one thing to disagree with someone's opinion, and another to ridicule them for voicing it.


Believe me, I am way too old to be a celebrity worshiper or to want what they have. I know what's important in life and I don't need to be vailidated by a celebrity. I formed my view myself, not because Barbara Striesand or Mel Gibson told me what I should think. My comment on "celebrity envy" was tongue in cheek but perhaps it hit a cord.....
__________________
NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 10-24-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #17
country flag Winston's Human
Registered User
 
Winston's Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,285
Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Thompson got his start in the movies playing himself in the movie "Marie". Thompson had represented Marie Ragghianti who exposed a bribery-clemency scandal involving the Governor of Tennessee.

Thompson was well-known in Tennessee as an attorney before he became an actor -- especially for his role as Senate minority counsel in the Watergate hearings.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
country flag Sparko1030
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

well, I did not know that about Mr. Thompson, Winston's Human. So you're saying if he (Fred Thompson) hadn't had that previous law experience, he should not run for office or voiced his political beliefs? How do you feel about Arnold Schwartznegger and Ronald Reagan? Should a career in show business pre-empt one from doing anything political?
__________________
NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
country flag Winston's Human
Registered User
 
Winston's Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,285
Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
well, I did not know that about Mr. Thompson, Winston's Human. So you're saying if he (Fred Thompson) hadn't had that previous law experience, he should not run for office or voiced his political beliefs? How do you feel about Arnold Schwartznegger and Ronald Reagan? Should a career in show business pre-empt one from doing anything political?
Absolutely not! I refer you back to my 11:36 a.m. post. I do not have any issues with actors running for political office or expressing their political views. I do not know where you got that impression. I was simply pointing out that Thompson was well-known (at least in Tennessee) before he became an actor.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
country flag Sparko1030
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston's Human View Post
Absolutely not! I refer you back to my 11:36 a.m. post. I do not have any issues with actors running for political office or expressing their political views. I do not know where you got that impression. I was simply pointing out that Thompson was well-known (at least in Tennessee) before he became an actor.

Sorry!
__________________
NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:00 AM   #21
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 14,068
buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
Do you think Fred Thompson would be in the position to run for senator or president if he had not been a celebrity? Did he have to run for office before he had a right to express his views? Everyone in this country has a right to voice their views-famous/unknown, rich/poor etc. Its the public's responsiblity to discern who to listen to and how much weight we give their opinion.
He's a citizen, isn't he? Why couldn't he be in a position to run for office without being a celebrity? 99% of those who run for office are not celebrities.
So I think this thread has become a bit unravelled. The difference between Fred Thompson and celebrities is that Thompson has to tell the electorate what he would do if elected, whereas celebrities are not running for office and limit themselves to telling the masses what they should be thinking and who they should vote for. Since I don't think any Hollywood celebrity gives a fig about the masses, their opinion is probably less meaningful to the man in the street than that of his next door neighbour. They are free to say whatever they want of course, but if they are not running for office their views have the same status as those of the hamburger flipper at McDonalds. Or, on reflection, that may be belittling the hamburger flipper.
__________________
JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #22
country flag Sparko1030
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

I never meant he couldn't have run, but what would be the chances of him having a real shot at winning. Winston's Human gave a lot more background on him and that experience may have been enough in TN. I 'm not sure he'd be running for pres now if he hadn't been on TV though.

I do think its disingenuos to imply a celebrity must run for office to have a legitimate reason to speak out. Poor unknowns like ourselves have the right to voice our opinions without running for an office, so why should the rich and famous?

Overall, I think I've pretty much posted the same thing about celebrities and politics but without so much negative emotion. I've repeatedly stated that its up to the public to decide if and what they listen too and allow themselves to be influenced by. Its not the fault of any of the celebrities if we, the voting public, have stopped thinking for ourselves. I really doubt that most see themselves as telling the masses what to do and what to think anymore than anyone else who voices their opinion.

As far as this thread unravelling, well, most threads get off subject sooner or later so just add this one to the list.
__________________
NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 10-25-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #23
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 14,068
buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
I really doubt that most see themselves as telling the masses what to do and what to think anymore than anyone else who voices their opinion.
Well, I disagree strongly. They know very well that their celebrity status is what gets them air time, in preference to a non-celebrity that might be 100 times more qualified to speak on politics.

But to balance things out, I would like to see Bush give a press conference solely to give his reasons why he thinks Barbra Streisand's singing sucks and how Sean Penn's acting in ''All the King's Men'' was a disgrace to the American acting profession and brought shame and embarrassment to all Americans.
__________________
JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 AM   #24
country flag Sparko1030
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

I guess we will just have to disagree. You obviously lump all liberal celebrities together instead of judging them individually.

I will concede that some do use their celebrity to bring attention to issue. George Clooney is one liberal Hollywood type that is knowingly using his influence to raise pulbic awareness of the atrocities going on in Darfur. Mabye I should have the attitude "how dare he use his celebrity status to educate me on such an issue" but I guess I'm just that weak minded

I would be happy if Bush would spend his time critiquing his celebrity critics! That is a great idea!!! Maybe it would keep him busy enough to save himself from his next tragic blunder.
__________________
NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 10-26-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON
 
buddyholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LUBBOCK TX
Posts: 14,068
buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
George Clooney is one liberal Hollywood type that is knowingly using his influence to raise pulbic awareness of the atrocities going on in Darfur.
Yes, I saw ONE news item on that, but no more, because it is not outrageous or controversial or just plain dumb.
For instance, today YAHOO leads with how Halle Berry said that a doctored foto of herself made her nose look "Jewish.''
So let's just end by blaming the media for everything.
__________________
JOIN THE CHURCH OF THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER TODAY
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #26
country flag Sparko1030
Registered User
 
Sparko1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The land of sky blue waters
Posts: 10,269
Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Yes, I saw ONE news item on that, but no more, because it is not outrageous or controversial or just plain dumb.
For instance, today YAHOO leads with how Halle Berry said that a doctored foto of herself made her nose look "Jewish.''
So let's just end by blaming the media for everything.
Halle Berry

Media
__________________
NICOLAS MASSU

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios