Fred Thompson...? - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fred Thompson...?

hey,

yesterday i watched cnbc europe and they had this leno bit on where this guy announced that he's running for president of the united states. apparently he's a kind of "saviour" for the republicans as many pundits and right-wingers were really hoping for him to give it a shot. ronald reagan was an idol for them and they see thompson as someone in his footsteps.

i checked the web a little today, got some videos, read about him and his views and, surprise surprise: i really have no problem with this guy. ...which is strange since there's hardly any republican out there who doesn't have major shortcomings in my opinion, with stupidity leading the pack of those, to be honest.

but this guy, call me crazy, he could actually be a good one.

don't get me wrong, i'm not american and i'm not sure whether my opinion of him is right or wrong (i don't watch american tv so it's hard for me to judge politicians), but i was wondering if maybe some of you who live there, who are americans or know a little more about this guy can maybe help me out a bit here. what does he stand for? is he gonna be quite a competitor? would he be able to get elected?

http://www.fred08.com/

thanks!
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
country flag Jim Jones

Jim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fred Thompson...?

Political positions of Fred Thompson

Thompson has said that federalism is his "lodestar," providing "a basis for a proper analysis of most issues: 'Is this something government should be doing? If so, at what level of government?'"[46]

Thompson supports free trade and low taxes.[65][66] He says that Roe v. Wade was a wrong decision that ought to be overturned, and that he is pro-life,[67] but he also has said that states should decide not to criminalize young women for early term abortions.[68][69] Thompson is skeptical that humanity is to blame for global warming.[70] He says citizens are entitled to keep and bear arms if they do not have criminal records.[71] Thompson's support of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation brought criticism from groups such as Gun Owners of America (GOA), who said that the legislation limited their ability to inform the public about the gun rights voting records of incumbent politicians.[72] Thompson now says that the limitation on political speech within thirty or sixty days of an election was wrong and should be repealed.[73] Thompson says U.S. borders need to be secured before considering comprehensive immigration reform.[65] Thompson supported the U.S. invasion of Iraq, but he believes that mistakes have been made since then.[74] He is opposed to withdrawal from Iraq.[75] He also believes that Iran should be taken seriously.[76]
Old 09-07-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrainer View Post
hey,

ronald reagan was an idol for them and they see thompson as someone in his footsteps.
The only way Thompson follows the footsteps of Reagan is that he too is an actor. But he could not fill Reagan's shoes.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

*bump*

seems like he lacks firepower. all polls indicate that he's gonna have to catch up with giuliani big time if he wants to have any impact.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
country flag Jim Jones

Jim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Guliani and Clinton seem unbeatable. New Yorkers must be proud.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

How come when a famous person who is a demacrat or liberal speaks out the right says they should stay out of politics, but when a republican/right winger does the same,or runs for office as Thompson (also Arnold, Sonny Bono, that guy who played Gopher on Love Boat and of course Regan) there is no issue made of their celebrity? Hmmmmm, double standard perhaps?

Natalie Mains for President!!!!

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Best Wishes to: Marcos~Janko~Ivan~Marat~Lucho~Rafa~Tommy H
Gaston-best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Last edited by Sparko1030 : 10-22-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Sparko1030 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
country flag preNadal care

preNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond reputepreNadal care has a reputation beyond repute

Fred Thompson is a boring mouthpiece for the Republicans. Yet again, they couldn't come up with anything better.
preNadal care is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 AM   #8
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko1030 View Post
How come when a famous person who is a demacrat or liberal speaks out the right says they should stay out of politics
Who said what?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 AM   #9
country flag Sparko1030

Sparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond reputeSparko1030 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
Who said what?
A lot of those whiny right wingers do. When a celebrity has the "gall" to voice some liberal opinion, there is always a chorus of republicans who say the famous should keep their mouths shut. Of course , they are quiet when it comes to celebrities who voice more conservative opinions. Freedom of speech is great I guess as long as it speech they approve of.

I referenced the Natalie Mains incidnet of serveral years ago when she said she was ashamed W was from her home state Texas and she was practically branded a traitor. There are many more expamples-Susan Sarandon, Ben Affleck, and the list could go on. Charlton Heston is a hero though for heading the NRA for years. So, I just wonder why its ok for some to use their celebrity to bring attention to their politics and not others and why that line seems to fall on political lines.

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

"Its hard to argue against cynics-they always sound smarter than optimists because they have so much evidence on their side." Molly Ivins, 1944-2007
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
country flag zicofirol

zicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond reputezicofirol has a reputation beyond repute

Thomson is an idiot and he shows it when he speaks, although he might be the least annoying of the mainstream republicans, but he has no personality and has no chance to win...

Ron Paul is the best candidate... look at his positions: www.ronpaul2008.com

RON PAUL: Stop Dreaming

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Kazimierz Pulaski
zicofirol is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
country flag mtw

mtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond reputemtw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
Political positions of Fred Thompson

Thompson has said that federalism is his "lodestar," providing "a basis for a proper analysis of most issues: 'Is this something government should be doing? If so, at what level of government?'"[46]

Thompson supports free trade and low taxes.[65][66] He says that Roe v. Wade was a wrong decision that ought to be overturned, and that he is pro-life,[67] but he also has said that states should decide not to criminalize young women for early term abortions.[68][69] Thompson is skeptical that humanity is to blame for global warming.[70] He says citizens are entitled to keep and bear arms if they do not have criminal records.[71] Thompson's support of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation brought criticism from groups such as Gun Owners of America (GOA), who said that the legislation limited their ability to inform the public about the gun rights voting records of incumbent politicians.[72] Thompson now says that the limitation on political speech within thirty or sixty days of an election was wrong and should be repealed.[73] Thompson says U.S. borders need to be secured before considering comprehensive immigration reform.[65] Thompson supported the U.S. invasion of Iraq, but he believes that mistakes have been made since then.[74] He is opposed to withdrawal from Iraq.[75] He also believes that Iran should be taken seriously.[76]

So, it is the next, mental-ill american republican fanatic, who is rather pro-life, but he supports rather genocide too.
mtw is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
A lot of those whiny right wingers do. When a celebrity has the "gall" to voice some liberal opinion, there is always a chorus of republicans who say the famous should keep their mouths shut. Of course , they are quiet when it comes to celebrities who voice more conservative opinions. Freedom of speech is great I guess as long as it speech they approve of.

I referenced the Natalie Mains incidnet of serveral years ago when she said she was ashamed W was from her home state Texas and she was practically branded a traitor. There are many more expamples-Susan Sarandon, Ben Affleck, and the list could go on. Charlton Heston is a hero though for heading the NRA for years. So, I just wonder why its ok for some to use their celebrity to bring attention to their politics and not others and why that line seems to fall on political lines.
In your last sentence you say that it is OK for some and not others. There is no law that says this. I do not think anyone says the famous should keep their mouths shut, but they may say the famous are hypocrites. You haven't said it is OK for Charlton Heston, have you?

I think the situation comes about when the Hollywood limousine liberals make fools of themselves, such as Sean Penn and Kevin Spacey rushing down to Caracas to slobber all over Chavez. It is not lost on most of us that not long before their arrival, Danny Glover took millions of the Venezuelan taxpayers money to make a movie for Chavez. I think Penn and Spacey saw dollar signs, not the saviour of Venezuela.
And when you get right down to it the list of left wing celebrities that make outrageous statements is a lot longer than the list of right wing celebrities. I can hardly think of one, maybe Mel Gibson, but he's Australian.
And Charlton Heston actually headed the NRA, so whether or not you agree with him, he actually was doing a job, not just sitting in his Hollywood mansion pretending to be concerned.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #13
country flag Sparko1030

I think its ok for all celebriites to voice their opinion whether I agree with them are not. When I say its "ok for some and not for others", that is in the mind of those who critisize the liberals but not the conservatives, I am not speaking for myself.

Actually, I think its a good thing for celebrities to have an interest in politics and issues even if I don't agree with them. Its the public who may give their voice more importance than it deserves but that does not mean they should have to give up their right to an opinion. I just wish idiots like Rush Limbaugh saw it the same way(and what the hell makes him qualified to have an opinion and not other drug addicts???? ) I respect Charlton Heston for having the courage to make his beliefs known even if I don't agree with them., although I think you're drawing a convenient distiction about his instance being different because it was a job for him. Are all celebrities who desire to work for an cause to quit making movies or whatever before they are can do that?

I think Penn and Spacey are sadly mistaken on Chavez but its still their right to be wrong and really, I don't think what they think has much affect on the US public.

I think you're comment on how the list of liberal celebriities being much longer than the conservative (Mel is a US citizen btw-he was born here and they moved to Austrailia when he was a kid) is not an argument for them not having the right to express themselves. Remember the man this thread is suppose to be about-and there are more. Actually, I think it smacks of envy-liberals really "have" the best celebrities - I think conservatives are at the heart of the matter, jealous. (take heart, the country music world is by far populated with conservatives )

FERNANDO GONZALEZ

Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #14
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

Quote:
Remember the man this thread is suppose to be about-and there are more. Actually, I think it smacks of envy-liberals really "have" the best celebrities - I think conservatives are at the heart of the matter, jealous. (take heart, the country music world is by far populated with conservatives )
But the man this thread is about is running for president. I think he is campaigning, not just telling us poor, less fortunate people what is good for us.
And I think the reason that so many Hollywood celebrities are ''liberal'' is that they can afford to be. Just try and tell them that their personal wealth is going to be redistributed and see how many are so liberal when the chips are down.
And do you really think that by allying yourself with the Hollywood liberal set that some of their glamour rubs off on you, thus making conservatives jealous? I don't think so.
I am not American, but I would say that the people of the country music world, as you put it, are far more representative of the soul of America than the celebrities in their Malibu mansions, that you will probably never be welcome in.

Last edited by buddyholly : 10-24-2007 at 03:04 PM.
buddyholly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
country flag Winston's Human

Winston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond reputeWinston's Human has a reputation beyond repute

I think that celebrities have the right to publicly express their opinions, and that people have the right to criticize celebrities for their opinions.

I think celebrities (particularly those surrounded by "yes" people) forget that free speech is a two-way street and not everyone is going to agree with their opinions.
Winston's Human is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote