Belgians at the USopen ! - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-22-2002, 07:14 PM   #16
Elleke

Elleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond reputeElleke has a reputation beyond repute

yes! now he faces the #1 seeded lars burgsmuller
GOOD LUCK DICK !
Elleke is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2002, 12:06 AM   #17
bcoene

bcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATULATIONS DICK NORMAN

Also good luck to Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick, Thomas Enqvist, JM Gambill, Raemon Sluiter, James Blake, Gaston Gaudio, Marcelo Rios
bcoene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:10 PM   #18
BelgianGirl

BelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, Dick!

He faces a tough match now! I hope he can win it!
BelgianGirl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:14 PM   #19
Rhythmboy

Rhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmboy has a reputation beyond repute

c'mon dick!

(that sounds so rude )
Rhythmboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:19 PM   #20
freakske

freakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond repute

Gasquet Falls in Norman Conquest
by Jason Brown
Thursday, August 22, 2002

Richard Gasquet's dream of playing his way into a second-ever Grand Slam came to a crashing halt on Day 3 of the US Open Qualifying Tournament as he succumbed in the second round to a free-swinging Belgian.

After morphing into somewhat of a cult hero in Paris when he qualified for the French Open as a 16-year-old rookie, the US Open proved to be too much too soon for France's native son. Gasquet lost in three sets to Dick Norman of Belgium, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

But Gasquet gave the capacity crowd on Court 14 a glimpse of the future of French tennis. Many spectators rushed to the match believing that they were about to witness the "French Andy Roddick," a young player with unimaginable tools on the tennis court.

And at first glance, the two young stars shared common traits. Gasquet sported the classic Roddick trademark -- the backwards baseball cap -- and every time he turned to view, you could see the same baby face of a teenage champion.

But that's where all comparisons between the two slugging neophytes began and ended. Gasquet was outfitted by French clothing-maker Lacoste, more likely to be worn at a country club or polo match than the Lycra-based, extreme sport inspired apparel that Roddick often dons.

Gasquet had a quiet, unassuming demeanor on the court this afternoon. Fans late to their seats wouldn't have been able to tell if the teenager was winning or losing and, just perhaps, that is exactly how he wanted it. For the great ones possess mannerisms that rarely change. A cross-court winner gets the same walk to the other side of the service side that an errant backhand would.

There was no screaming at the umpire or head-first diving for loose balls. Like a cagey veteran, Gasquet held serve in the first set and waited for Norman to make a mistake. You could once in awhile hear Gasquet speaking softly to himself in French like a mother soothing her baby to sleep. Up 4-3 in the first set, Gasquet struck, breaking Norman's southpaw serve with a flurry of exquisite one-handed backhands. Each time Norman came to net, Gasquet punished him with a passing shot, and he won the first set handily.

"He was just a little bit more lucky than me to take one or two of the break points in the first set," said Norman, the 17th-ranked player in the qualifying draw.

Facing adversity for the first time, down 2-1 in the second set, Gasquet's serve was broken by the six-foot-eight Belgian. Norman led, 3-1, and would win the second set, 6-3.

"I knew we were on the same level," said Norman, 31, a tour veteran who is nearly twice the age of Gasquet. "I kept on fighting and got a little bit more lucky in the second set. But again, we were still on the same level. The third set was very tough. I was down three-love in the third and kept fighting and ended up winning, 6-4."

Gasquet earned high praise from Norman.

"He's been winning a lot of matches lately, but I had never seen him play, so I was ready for a tough match," said Norman. "I was told that he had good groundstrokes, so I didn't let him play his groundstrokes. I was attacking him, going to net as fast as I could, and it worked.

"But," he added, "he'll be back."

c'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck
freakske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 12:24 PM   #21
BelgianGirl

BelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! He beat Burgsmuller in straight sets!
Well done, Dick! It's so nice for him to be able to play in the main draw of a slam again!

Good luck in the main draw!
Old 08-24-2002, 01:26 PM   #22
BelgianGirl

men's singles : maindraw (Belgians)

Olivier Rochus - Hicham Arazi (Mar)
(head-to-head: 0-2, but both were very close. 5sets on carpet and 3 tie-breaks on grass!)

Xavier Malisse (19) - Albert Montanes (Esp)
(never played eachother)

Dick Norman - Bohdan Ulihrach (Cze)
(head-to-head: 1-0, but is from 1997 and Ulihrach retired at 5-2, so doesn't tell us very much!)

Good luck, guys!
Xavier should be able to have an easy win against Montanes when he's on! Olivier and Dick both have a chance to win, but they'll have to play at a good level. (Dick should have lots of confidence coming out of the qualies beating Birgsmuller in straight sets)
Old 08-24-2002, 02:20 PM   #23
BelgianGirl

For who's interested: here's the link for the article about Norman qualifying for the USopen!
http://www.usopen.org/news/articles/...e00674be2.html

And here's an article from the New York Times:

Longtime Pro Finally Earns Spot in U.S. Open
By LYNN ZINSER

ick Norman is hard to miss, even amid the sprawling chaos of the United States Open qualifying tournament. He is 6 feet 8 inches, left-handed, has the wingspan of a hang glider and a mess of long red hair he tries to tame in an unruly ponytail.

He is also 31, old enough that his shining moment was beating Pat Cash and Stefan Edberg at Wimbledon in 1995, old enough to truly appreciate making it into his first United States Open after all these years. That is what he accomplished yesterday by beating Lars Burgsmuller, 7-6 (5), 6-3, in the final round of qualifying at the National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens.

Norman became one of 16 men's winners to earn a spot in the Open, which starts Monday; 16 women also qualified.

"It's nice to be able to say you've played in all the Grand Slams," Norman said.

The loopy road that has been Norman's career helps him put all of this in perspective. Norman used to get frustrated about his lack of success, that his glorious run to the fourth round of Wimbledon in 1995 was not followed by a surge into the upper echelon of the men's Tour. He never reached higher than No. 111 in the ranking, and he quit in 1998.

But retirement thrust Norman into a middle-class life back home in Waregem, Belgium. After taking a year off, he began teaching at a tennis club. That was when he decided that being a middle-of-the-pack tennis pro beat almost anything else he could think of doing for a living.

"Now I like it a lot more than before," he said. "When I stopped for two years, that's more when I realized what real life was like. I was not prepared."

So being a 31-year-old among players close to half his size and half his age does not bother Norman, who tackled qualifying with the knowledge that his paycheck — $11,000 if he loses in the first round of the main draw — would have taken a lot of hours of tennis lessons to earn.

Strolling the grounds at the National Tennis Center beats playing in qualifying events for low-level futures tournaments in Europe, which is what Norman had to do to return to the game in 2000. His first one was in Spain, on clay, not the best surface for his serve-and-volley game.

"I had to pray for a wild card into qualifying because I had no ranking," he said. "I was so scared to lose. I was playing all these Spanish kids and it was on clay and I thought, `How am I going to win?' "

Norman did win. In fact, he won six of the first seven low-level tournaments he played. It took him a year to raise his ranking to where it was before he retired.

Now he has outdone himself by qualifying for his first Open, something he said he had not even tried to do in about five years.

After he arrived here, Norman said he watched a replay of Jimmy Connors's five-set, fourth-round victory over Aaron Krickstein in the 1991 Open. Norman noted that it was played on Connors's 39th birthday.

"He was almost 40 years old and he was running faster than I do now," Norman said. "It's all in the head. If you feel fresh in the head, you can keep playing. My game is also not mentally very tiring. So many guys, to win one point they have to run 15 times up and down the court. That's just to get to 15-love. By that time, I have won the game already."

It's so nice for him that he was able to qualify for the main draw here for the first time in his career!

Last edited by BelgianGirl : 08-24-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:55 PM   #24
country flag fleemke²

fleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond reputefleemke² has a reputation beyond repute

It's SUPER what Norman did! He had a though draw for the qualies but he did it! Hopefully he can play a good match against Ullirach! Go go go Dick

Tommy Haas and Olivier Rochus
fleemke² is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 01:07 PM   #25
freakske

freakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond reputefreakske has a reputation beyond repute

#1 fave: "Fly" KRISTOF VLIEGEN
~Well, I saw your face one time, I never thought I'd walk away~
good luck:Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt
Old 08-26-2002, 10:00 AM   #26
King Aaron

King Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond reputeKing Aaron has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Ollie!!
Old 08-27-2002, 09:55 AM   #27
freakske

ollie
#1 fave: "Fly" KRISTOF VLIEGEN
~Well, I saw your face one time, I never thought I'd walk away~
good luck:Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt
Old 08-27-2002, 10:40 AM   #28
BelgianGirl

Olivier! You can do so much better than a 2-6, 2-6, 4-6 loss to Arazi!

I hope he find his form back when Belgium plays their Daviscup-tie!

Good luck to Xavier today! (Am I right that Norman doesn't have to play yet today?)
Old 08-27-2002, 10:03 PM   #29
BelgianGirl

Xavier won his first match 7-5, 6-2, 6-2!
Congrats, Xavier and good luck in your next match!

Come on, Dick! Make it 5 out of 6 Belgians in the 2nd round tomorrow!
Old 08-27-2002, 10:13 PM   #30
bcoene

bcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond reputebcoene has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Xavier

Better luck next time Ollie. I hope you find your good form back.

Good luck Dick, you can do it

Also good luck to Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick, Thomas Enqvist, JM Gambill, Raemon Sluiter, James Blake, Gaston Gaudio, Marcelo Rios
bcoene is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote