Favourite players beside Roger and how you feel when they meet each other - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 AM   #16
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite players beside Roger and how you feel when they meet each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuster View Post
It's obvious who my two fav players are - and when they meet (I hope they will during the HC season!) I go through some sort of an emotional rollercoaster, being happy for the winner and sad for the loser.
I bet I'll be trying to sit on three chairs soon. Is your backside wide enough to perform the trick?
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 AM   #17
country flag Rommella

Rommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond reputeRommella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite players beside Roger and how you feel when they meet each other

A bunch of players whom I also root for but who'd be a far second to Roger in terms of my devotion: Murray, Gasquet, Djokovic, Gonzales, Berdych, Mathieu.

I applaud their winners but there's no contest as to who I'd want to win every single time.
Rommella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #18
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Dear my King Roger,
I am so sorry to you lost the final~~
But Don't give up! We always support you!!
You are the Real Tennis King!!!!
I am so angry for Djo's words to you in the award ceremony~!!!!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 AM   #19
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF4EVER View Post
I have one fave (ATP) and that's Roger.

I like other players but I don't like anyone else when he's playing them. Period.

Mind you, I find I'm handling today's loss like a real champ, lol. It doesn't hurt much, but when he's playing make no mistake, I want him to win. I don't care what the circumstances. He's my outright favorite in every situation
i feel the same way btw.

federer is the one who i feel connected to the most because i had been following him since the beginning and it was a real victory that he turned out to be such an amazing player esp after everyone called him a choker, wasted talent, poor man's sampras etc. I believed in this guy and his abilities. its very rare that a player can succeed in today's game playing so elegantly. so while i feel today is a minor setback, his whole career has been such a success story.

there are other players who i enjoy watching and can feel entertained but i dont feel the same connection. i enjoyed yesterday's match with djoko and rafa and admired the tennis but i dont feel the same way as i do with roger.

i enjoy baghdatis and gasquet the way i enjoyed watching kuerten play. Lots of flair and shot making ability. But still i find a huge difference between them and federer. Federer is on a different plane. federer is just perfect in his footwork, athleticism, ball striking, mentally tough MOST OF THE TIME The others are not so beautiful in every aspect of the game.

Last edited by World Beater : 08-13-2007 at 05:46 AM.
World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #20
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, I'm a huge Roddick fan, so whenever they play each other I would like it to be a close match but not too close. Take their past three matches for example:

USO Final 2006 - I enjoyed this match a lot because not only did it have great tennis but it was close for three sets. I was happy how much Andy was able to push Roger.

Shanghai RR 2006 - Another high quality match but I didn't like that Roddick had one MP and didn't convert. Yes, I was happy that Fed did win but I don't like their matches to be that close.

AO SF 2007 - Federer basically destroys Andy whose shot selection during this match was rather questionable. Before this match I was hoping for a close five setter with either winning but instead I got a vintage Federer match. While it was fun to watch Federer play like that, I would have proffered he did that against someone else (maybe Nadal in a FO final? )

I hope I was able to get my feeling across to you.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #21
country flag DONADANG

DONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond reputeDONADANG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF4EVER View Post
But when you have more than one fave don't you have more chances of ending up with a result that makes you happy? I know you might hate to see one lose to the other but overall someone you like still wins so it's a win-win situation, kinda.
I don't know. When Marat & Andy played against each other this year at the AO, I wasn't happy with the outcome either way because I was going to lose one of them early. However, I did enjoy the match before match point.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #22
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Richard Gasquet:
I have not seen all their encounters, particularly not their first in Monte Carlo 2005. , At that time I was rather annoyed: Who was that French upstart daring to beat Roger? I have not seen the Hamburg final a few weeks later, but I was happy about the revenge. Meanwhile I developed more than a soft spot for Richard. I feel different in their matches. Last year Wimbledon, Roger was so dominant that hardly any emotions came up. Toronto last year, I would not have mind if Richard had won crowning a great week. This year's Wimbledon: I knew that Richard would not have had enough gas left, and Roger's win was never in doubt.

Marat Safin:
I have been a supporter of Marat for much longer than I support Roger. And their matches really teared my up. However, I only switched fully into Roger's camp after the 2005 AO, yes after a defeat. Meanwhile Marat is not that dangerous anymore, so it is unlikely that he beats Roger which takes out a lot of the tension.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #23
country flag Naide

Naide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond reputeNaide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure if Guga came back, i'll root for him (don't hit me )
For now, well it's Roger vs Rafa, and as great it would be for Fed to win Roland garros and Nadal to win Wimbledon, i always hope Nadal wins RG and Fed Wimby
For other matches, i only know for who i'm cheering during the match, i can't control it and can't know it before

it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our over 200 forums. A few popular destinations include our General Message/A> forums, our Off-Topic and our Player Forums where like-minded fans get together!
Naide is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #24
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
I bet I'll be trying to sit on three chairs soon. Is your backside wide enough to perform the trick?
Nay Mr. Winner, that's NOT my style.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #25
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread.

Form me Roger comes first and foremost and I will root for him no matter who he is playing.

Djokovic is fast becoming my second fave player and for me Roger losing to him is something I can live with.

Other than that I enjoy watching Gasquet and Baghdatis the most out of the young crop but the have been very erratic so it is difficult to get behind them for sustained periods of time.

Safin is another who I enjoy watching when he is on but these days hardly bother anymore because I get no pleasure out of watching him self destruct time and again.
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #26
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE View Post
Interesting thread.

Form me Roger comes first and foremost and I will root for him no matter who he is playing.

Djokovic is fast becoming my second fave player and for me Roger losing to him is something I can live with.

Other than that I enjoy watching Gasquet and Baghdatis the most out of the young crop but the have been very erratic so it is difficult to get behind them for sustained periods of time.

Safin is another who I enjoy watching when he is on but these days hardly bother anymore because I get no pleasure out of watching him self destruct time and again.
That reads as if you only support winners....

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 08-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
That reads as if you only support winners....
OK, that didn't come out right. What I was trying to say it takes me a while to get behind a player. It is not a "love at first sight" as it were but it gradually builds over a time. The more a player I like who has a nice style plays and goes deep in tournaments the more I like him because I see more of him and learn more about how he responds to certain situations on different surfaces etc. If said player starts having these hot and cold flashes and makes a deep run in a tournament once in a blue moon it is that much harder for me to get into it.

I hope I made some semblance of sense here
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #28
country flag Puschkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE View Post
I hope I made some semblance of sense here
It did perfectly. Infact, I did not consider you a winner band-waggon-jumper, that's why I commented like that.

Well, I am more inclined to the hot/cold type. I always preferred and will continue to do so players who "win" their matches by a positive winner/error rate and the higher this gets, the more I like it.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #29
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I just think that it is more and more diffcult to watch Roger and Andy play final again.
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #30
country flag ytben

ytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond reputeytben has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is my only fave, I have others that I like to watch like Marat, Gasquet, and Baghdatis but none of them are my fave as in I don't get emotionally involved when I am watching them.

I used to think I will be ok if one of players I like beat Roger but AO SF 2005 threw cold water on me and I realized no way I am ok with anybody beating Roger.
Federer Express proud passenger seat #23

Good luck to Federer and Gasquet. Long live beautiful tennis!
ytben is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote