Favourite players beside Roger and how you feel when they meet each other - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favourite players beside Roger and how you feel when they meet each other

I read a few posts of Rogers fan on MTF today before the final against Djokovic where they mentioned that they like Novak and wouldn't mind him to win against Roger. That brought me to a question which I don't think has been discussed here before and I couldn't find a thread about it as I searched for it.

What are/were your favourite players beside Roger and how do you deal when they meet each other?

I remember especially two matches as the only time where I was a bit torn apart when I watched them:

The 2004 RG match against Kuerten and the 2005 US Open final against Agassi. Whilst I was so happy for Guga that he played a great match I was really disappointed for Roger on the other hand. I thought he would go down deep in Paris that year after having won in Hamburg before.

I was impressed by Andres performance at the US Open and surely there have been also sentimental moments involved that I thought I wouldn't mind him winning that title against Roger and end his career a la Sampras. But as I watched the match and Andre was up a break in the third set at 1 set each I really found myself supporting Roger. I wasn't against Andre at all, but I didn't wanted Roger to lose.

Since that time I never was in a situation where I was really torn apart two players. As much as I like Gonzalez for example I was of course hoping for Roger to win the AO title and would have been sad for him to end the tournament as a runner-up, although Fena would have been surely a deserved winner after his great run at the tournament.

It would be interesting if you would share your thoughts on this topic
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
country flag Action Jackson
Forum Umpire:
Gaston Gaudio

Action Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond reputeAction Jackson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite players beside Roger and how you feel when they meet each other

It depends on the situation, whoever has a better chance of doing well in the event or knocking out some player you hate.

Problem is when there is a match where you can't stand both players, unlike football there can't be a draw, so going for the umpire is the only option, unless it's Chryst.

Wilander on Dimitrov - "He has mind set on imitating Federer and yes it looks good. But he has no idea what to do on the court".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filo V. View Post
I definitely would have preferred Gaba winning as he needs the points much more, but Jan would have beaten him anyway. I expect Hajek to destroy Machado, like 6-1 6-2.
Machado wins 6-2 6-1
Action Jackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite players beside Roger and how you feel when they meet each other

Well, Nole is my second favorite - but never against Roger.

If it was Agassi vs Roger in USO 2006... I think it would have been kinda hard to root against Agassi, I don't know what I would have done.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
country flag Nymeria
Chiudi-fan

Nymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond reputeNymeria has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good question and one I can hardly reply on, because every situation is different. In general I would say that I would always cheer for Roger (unless he would play Marco, who'll always have my support against everybody).

I had the same with Guga in RG04, I was really happy for one, really sad for the other. Even while I would in general say that I am a bigger fan of Roger than of Guga, I couldn't cheer for somebody in that match, Guga is somehow really special as well

But when I have to describe my feeling when they meet, it's mostly "annoyed" because I don't want them to play each other. So I may hope that Roger and Marco will never meet in an official match!

Hopp Suisse!
Nymeria is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Favourite players besides Federer:

Davydenko, Baghdatis, Gaudio, Youzhny, Karlovic, Santoro

I would prefer a Federer win over all of these guys except perhaps Gaudio but of course that seems as unlikely as RFK pledging his allegiance to Federer.

I mean the thing is people have called me a tennis tard and that's the truth, the people I actually support are those guys but there are a bunch of players I love to watch play who I don't neccesarily support:

Nalbandian, Mathieu, Gasquet, Djokovic, Haas, Murray, Nieminen, Stepanek, Grosjean, ToJo, O Rochus, Bjorkman, Gabashvili, Soderling, Malisse

Depending on the match up I often prefer to watch some of these player who I don't really support but whose games I enjoy watching. On the whole I think I back Roger in any match but there are many players who I am happy to see beat Federer.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I not really understand the thread.......
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
country flag MatchFederer
-Cheese, Bacon, SOWsages-

MatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond reputeMatchFederer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
I not really understand the thread.......
Federer is your favourite player Suktuen.

Who do you like second best? If your 2nd best player played your 1st best, Federer, how would you feel/who would you want to win/why?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thread!

It's obvious who my two fav players are - and when they meet (I hope they will during the HC season!) I go through some sort of an emotional rollercoaster, being happy for the winner and sad for the loser.

If I happen to have a slight preference, it's depending on the circumstances - surface, how well they've been playing, and not to forget: which of them is the underdog in that particular match. As such I rooted for Rogi to win RG this year, and for Rafa at Wimbly. I could well continue my life with how things turned out eventually, BTW.

As for the other players I root for (see signature): I always wish them the best, except when playing Rogi or Rafa...

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene7 View Post
Federer is your favourite player Suktuen.

Who do you like second best? If your 2nd best player played your 1st best, Federer, how would you feel/who would you want to win/why?
Oh I understand now!!!

My favourite player is Roger, sec is Andy Roddick!!
if they play match, I also always want Roger win.(And Roger always beat Andy)

But it play with another player match I will support Andy~!!
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
country flag OlderfanCA

OlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond repute

Djokovic is my second favorite player, followed by Murray. I prefer all-court players.

Having said this, I feel torn regarding Djokovic v. Federer. I like them both. At this point in Federer's career, I will lean towards him because I want him to retain his #1 ranking and continue finishing up his career goals.

HOWEVER, if Nole wins today, I will not be sad or disappointed that Federer lost.

BUT, if this was a final of the US Open and Nole won, I would be upset.

Depends on the circumstances, I think.
OlderfanCA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
country flag SUKTUEN

Oh, I hope Roger win this today too~~~
Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
country flag soraya

soraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond reputesoraya has a reputation beyond repute

I never had the problem of been torn apart between two players. Fed is 1st in my list, no matter who he is playing. I like Djoko, Baghdatis and Gasquet and I guess if they play each other I would cheer for the underdog of the moment or for the one who is less threatening to Rogi in that occasion.
"Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”- Muhammad Ali“

————————————

Last edited by soraya : 08-13-2007 at 01:31 AM.
soraya is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #13
country flag WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond repute

I have one fave (ATP) and that's Roger.

I like other players but I don't like anyone else when he's playing them. Period.

Mind you, I find I'm handling today's loss like a real champ, lol. It doesn't hurt much, but when he's playing make no mistake, I want him to win. I don't care what the circumstances. He's my outright favorite in every situation.

I'd rather give out good rep points than respond to dumbass threads

Being called fangirl/fanboy is not a compliment.
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
country flag WF4EVER

WF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond reputeWF4EVER has a reputation beyond repute

But when you have more than one fave don't you have more chances of ending up with a result that makes you happy? I know you might hate to see one lose to the other but overall someone you like still wins so it's a win-win situation, kinda.

I'd rather give out good rep points than respond to dumbass threads

Being called fangirl/fanboy is not a compliment.
WF4EVER is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 AM   #15
country flag lsy

lsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond reputelsy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WF4EVER View Post
I have one fave (ATP) and that's Roger.

I like other players but I don't like anyone else when he's playing them. Period.

Mind you, I find I'm handling today's loss like a real champ, lol. It doesn't hurt much, but when he's playing make no mistake, I want him to win. I don't care what the circumstances. He's my outright favorite in every situation.
Exactly what he/she said.

The only player whom I'm emotionally attached to is Rogi. It's ironic coz I was mesmerized by his tennis first time I saw him and became a fan, yet since then I could hardly enjoy any of his matches/tennis live coz I got too nervous

Used to follow other few favourite players matches but it'd taken too much time of my own and I simply couldn't afford it anymore. These days, I only watch tennis when I have the time and whichever matches are on tv. I actually enjoy those matches way more than Rogi's coz I am relax and can be impartial unlike any of Rogi
lsy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote