quitting smoking - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default quitting smoking

just 4 smoke free days now.... because 9 years is a long time

any experiences on quitting?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
country flag Naudio Spanlatine
I wanna taste u.

Location: Lust and/or Love of fire. My heaven has awaited me.
Naudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond reputeNaudio Spanlatine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quitting smoking

well my grandfather is 3 months free of smoking which is an amazing achievement me and my mom really tried to get him to quit smoking for a long time but finally he is not smoking anymore which is a great blessing, just take things slow, dont let anything crave you to go back to smoking, and try to stay stress free, im not saying its gonna be easy but still try to, cause of course stress is one of the most biggest trigger in getting to make you do anything bad like smoking, doing drugs and such and such

Good luck and keep fighting
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
country flag Filo V.
Banned!

Filo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond reputeFilo V. has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best thing to do is to replace smoking with something else. If you feel the urge to smoke, do something with your time. Go outside and get fresh air. Occupy yourself and keep yourself stimulated without needed a cigarette.
Filo V. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
country flag swisht4u

swisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond reputeswisht4u has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post

Congratulations!

Nothing bad will happen.
When people smoke they want to quit, when they quit they want to smoke.

You get kind of restless when quitting but there's no pain.
The worst period is the first week, then all the drug is out of the body and repair work is already starting to be done.

After awhile things will be very good, after meals you forget about needing one.

Allen Carr's book should be read even after you quit, it removes the brainwashing.

"The Easy Way to Stop Smoking"

Good Luck!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXÈ

Federer

Del Potro

Gulbis

Janowicz
swisht4u is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
country flag abraxas21

abraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond reputeabraxas21 has a reputation beyond repute

i once quitted for 3 months (by far the longest of of my 5 or 6 quitting periods) but got back due to some serious stress in my life after pretty much spending a whole month studying 12 hours a day.

now i want to quit for good and that will mean to quit in spite of the stress. i have replaced it with jogging and beer drinking which means that every night after i get home from work i go jogging and when i get back i drink beer until i fall asleep.

it's working out fine thus far. don't even have too much serious cravings.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
country flag BigJohn
Banned!

BigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond reputeBigJohn has a reputation beyond repute

I say do it or don't, starting again made stopping again more difficult for me.

The hard part is breaking the routine. There are a couple of moments during the day or social occasions when a cigarette felt just right. These were the difficult moments for me. Even after the withdrawals symptoms were gone, I experienced craving after supper for a couple of months... I took care of those by taking Tylenol with codeine. (you just have to ask your pharmacist even if you don't need a prescription, at least here)

I would not replace it with beer, you'll get liver problems and you'll get fat.

Should you get stressed again, don't go for cigs, go for a walk, have a drink, but stay away from the cigs.

And know in your heart that if you start again, you'll eventually stop again, and that first week is truly hell, so that should be motivation enough.

Good luck.
BigJohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
country flag buddyholly
RAVE ON

buddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond reputebuddyholly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxas21 View Post

My very successful experience on quitting, before being rudely interrupted, was to have a heart attack. I quit immediately and had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I have gone 10 years without even thinking of having a cigarette.

Unfortunately, when I answered this query a month ago I gave a brief reply to your question and simply replied ''have a heart attack,'' clearly indicating that that was my experience.

Unfortunately, an unnamed mod, who may need some lessons in English grammar, jumped to the wrong conclusion and banned me for ''wishing injury.'' I had no chance to defend myself and offer a simple explanation of how, taken in context, my statement was completely innocuous. Rather I was tried, convicted and sentenced for a crime I did not commit, without being able to say a single word in my own defense, which would undoubtedly have led to a dismissal. But I guess someone who is not really paying attention to his responsibility just saw the association ''abraxas-buddyholly-heart attack'' and decided to read no more context.

As an atheist and adult, it would never occur to me to waste words ''wishing injury'' on an anonymous internet poster. While a mod may think that is something dangerous and threatening, an adult would realise it is simply nonsense.

However, some good may come of all this. My forced ''withdrawal'' from NT may have just been enough time to get me over the hump and cured from my addiction to this increasingly trite section of MTF. Only time will tell. ''Wish'' me luck, lol.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
country flag Gagsquet
Banned!

Gagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond reputeGagsquet has a reputation beyond repute

What an unfair and stupid ban. Welcome back.
Gagsquet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

Don't start. Smoking is a disgusting habit.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
country flag Shinoj

Shinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond reputeShinoj has a reputation beyond repute

Do some work out or even Yoga. These things can increase your Will Power. After all only ingredient to Quit Smoking is Will Power.

All the Best.
Shinoj is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
country flag GOAT = Fed

GOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT = Fed has a reputation beyond repute

No smoking dudes, need to keep my six pack and my fit body.

nomsayin'?
White knight Mark Lenders crew
Lifts at 1:00 am so I don't have to interact with anyone crew
Get nervous as fuk when I have to say hi to the gym receptionist crew
Too many clowns, not enough time to own them crew
Anti PopCon crew
GOAT = Fed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
country flag abraxas21

5 weeks now
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #13
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
My very successful experience on quitting, before being rudely interrupted, was to have a heart attack. I quit immediately and had no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. I have gone 10 years without even thinking of having a cigarette.

Unfortunately, when I answered this query a month ago I gave a brief reply to your question and simply replied ''have a heart attack,'' clearly indicating that that was my experience.

Unfortunately, an unnamed mod, who may need some lessons in English grammar, jumped to the wrong conclusion and banned me for ''wishing injury.'' I had no chance to defend myself and offer a simple explanation of how, taken in context, my statement was completely innocuous. Rather I was tried, convicted and sentenced for a crime I did not commit, without being able to say a single word in my own defense, which would undoubtedly have led to a dismissal. But I guess someone who is not really paying attention to his responsibility just saw the association ''abraxas-buddyholly-heart attack'' and decided to read no more context.

As an atheist and adult, it would never occur to me to waste words ''wishing injury'' on an anonymous internet poster. While a mod may think that is something dangerous and threatening, an adult would realise it is simply nonsense.

However, some good may come of all this. My forced ''withdrawal'' from NT may have just been enough time to get me over the hump and cured from my addiction to this increasingly trite section of MTF. Only time will tell. ''Wish'' me luck, lol.
like i told you before, some of the mods run this place like a kindergarden (which is kind of is anyhow).

once could at least ask them to have some common sense but that's too much to ask, it seems.

this post will get deleted soon enough.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #14
country flag Topspindoctor
Banned!

Topspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond reputeTopspindoctor has a reputation beyond repute

If you lived in Australia you would quit smoking easily enough. With the prices on ciggies here, it's a surprise anyone smokes at all.
Topspindoctor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
country flag abraxas21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
If you lived in Australia you would quit smoking easily enough. With the prices on ciggies here, it's a surprise anyone smokes at all.
dunno

some of my smoking friends who have traveled to europe have told me they have resorted to making their own fags, buying their own tobacco, etc. so you see, even poor smokers smoke. they just gotta find alternatives.