Federer - Sampras meet again after 6 years - Official page for their match in Macao - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Federer - Sampras meet again after 6 years - Official page for their match in Macao

Here is an official page for Rogers showmatch against Pete in Macao on November 24th

http://www.federersamprasmacao.com/index.html

Maybe we can also use the thread to discuss the meeting against Pete.

What are your thoughts about it? Do you think it is a good thing for tennis that these two players meet or don't you care about this showmatch at all?
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope Roger won't let Pete run away with his serve and forehand, they took ages to get back the last time
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer - Sampras meet again after 6 years - Official page for their match in Mac

I am really looking forward to that match even though it is only an exhibition

Its a shame they only met once during a professional event. On the other hand maybe it is a good thing. They are/were both my favourite players and if push came to shove in a serious match I really don't know who I would root for
RonE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer - Sampras meet again after 6 years - Official page for their match in Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE View Post
I am really looking forward to that match even though it is only an exhibition

Its a shame they only met once during a professional event. On the other hand maybe it is a good thing. They are/were both my favourite players and if push came to shove in a serious match I really don't know who I would root for
Did you see the 2001 match live? Who did you root for then?
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
country flag RonE

RonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond reputeRonE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Levy View Post
Did you see the 2001 match live? Who did you root for then?
Well I was obviously a Pete fan back then and he was having such a shitty year in 2001 I desperately wanted him to win wimbledon so I was rooting for him. I was bitterly disappointed after that match particularly seeing as how Pete had breakpoints at 4-4 in the fifth which would have left him serving for the match.

But Roger's shotmaking encaptivated me and after I got over the initial disappointment I began to like Roger more and more and was drawn into his play style.

Then after Pete retired I was really hoping to see Roger make the big breakthrough and boy did he ever! The rest, as you well know, is history.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
country flag Allure
Fan of Mugs

Allure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond reputeAllure has a reputation beyond repute

Don't take this the wrong way. Pete was a great player but anyone feel he relied too much on his serve but Federer is a more complete player. He can hit any shot, good at net, good serve, forehand, backhand, good footwork, etc. Really if they were the same age, Federer would win the h2h.
Kudryavtseva def. Sharapova 6-2, 6-4
Tipsarevic def. Roddick 6-7, 7-5, 6-4, 7-6
Dancevic def. Nalbandian 6-4, 6-2, 6-4
Zheng def. Ivanovic 6-1, 6-4
Tanasugarn def. Jankovic 6-3, 6-2
Radwanska def. Kuznetsova 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
Allure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
country flag OlderfanCA

OlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching Pete play WTT tennis matches and he seems to move a lot slower than five years ago. I think Federer can capitalize on this. I expect Federer to beat Sampras in the first match, however, if Pete sticks to his tactic of constantly attacking Federer, Federer will have to come up with some fantastic shots.

I hope the matches are tight and exciting. I give Federer the slight edge over Pete in these exos.
OlderfanCA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
country flag RonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandofanz View Post
Don't take this the wrong way. Pete was a great player but anyone feel he relied too much on his serve but Federer is a more complete player. He can hit any shot, good at net, good serve, forehand, backhand, good footwork, etc. Really if they were the same age, Federer would win the h2h.
Well that may have been true towards the end of his career but many people seem to forget when Pete was in his prime he was the most complete player of his generation. He could beat the best from anyhwere on the court- baseline, net, serve was of course always lethal.

At the time I thought there would never be a player who could move so effortlessly and make the game look as ridiculously as he did- of course until Roger came along that is.

But people always remember Pete as a serve volleyer and that just wasn't true. For large parts of matches on surfaces other than grass he would engage in baseline rallies, work the points and he was pretty good at it even though his backhand was a comparative weakness. And to this day I have never seen a player with a more explosive on the run forehand Federer included. Pete would be in the most ridiculous positions seemingly impossible positions to get the ball back into play from and suddenly he would zing a forehand into the corner like a bullet which was either a clean winner or gave him control of the point to finish it off.

And there was no one better at handling the overhead smash - that "air Sampras" slamdunk is the stuff of legends

Sorry for the rant but it really irks me how people remember Sampras for his last years on tour when his baseline game was really not up to par with the new generation and he basically did rely a lot more on his serve and his movement was not as crisp.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonE View Post
But people always remember Pete as a serve volleyer and that just wasn't true. For large parts of matches on surfaces other than grass he would engage in baseline rallies, work the points and he was pretty good at it even though his backhand was a comparative weakness. And to this day I have never seen a player with a more explosive on the run forehand Federer included. Pete would be in the most ridiculous positions seemingly impossible positions to get the ball back into play from and suddenly he would zing a forehand into the corner like a bullet which was either a clean winner or gave him control of the point to finish it off.
True. I am old enough to remember.

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
country flag t0x

t0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond reputet0x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderfanCA View Post
I've been watching Pete play WTT tennis matches and he seems to move a lot slower than five years ago. I think Federer can capitalize on this. I expect Federer to beat Sampras in the first match, however, if Pete sticks to his tactic of constantly attacking Federer, Federer will have to come up with some fantastic shots.

I hope the matches are tight and exciting. I give Federer the slight edge over Pete in these exos.
Don't get me wrong, it'll be an interesting exho. But this thing has probably already been designed to go to a third set TB. I really doubt Federer will play his best - he'll serve volley even behind his second serve most probably.
Federer Express Passenger #163

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~
un pour tous, tous pour un

Others: Safin - Tursunov - Gonzalez - Berdych - Ancic - Johansson - Youzhny - Cilic - Henman - Karlovic - Mahut
t0x is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
country flag theprodigy

theprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond reputetheprodigy has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't they also playing in Kuala Lumpur and another asian city, which is rumored to be Seoul? Anyone who has more info?
theprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

I will go to watch the match!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
country flag Eden
We know how it feels

Eden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond reputeEden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
I will go to watch the match!!!
That's great for you Have you already ordered tickets?
Eden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute

which channel gonna show this match

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
country flag OlderfanCA

OlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond reputeOlderfanCA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0x View Post
Don't get me wrong, it'll be an interesting exho. But this thing has probably already been designed to go to a third set TB. I really doubt Federer will play his best - he'll serve volley even behind his second serve most probably.
Yeah, I have yet to see Federer do his best at an exo. I think it is purely for the practice and the money. Whenever he loses those things, he always says its just an exhibition.

Remember the Roddick one a few years back? The press was having a field day when Roddick won and thought that this would be repeated at the Australian Open. The press was asking Federer if he was concerned, and he said it was just an exo.

Also, I recall a TV program about Federer's life and I recall his childhood opponents saying that when he is playing practice matches, he did not mind losing and would take it lightly. When it was time for a "real" match he was totally different player and would never let any of his peers beat him.

Just my 2 cents.
OlderfanCA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote