Eurosport article on Marat - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
User ID 4783

User ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond reputeUser ID 4783 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eurosport article on Marat

Here's a nice article on Marat that I found on Eurosport.com:

Returning to centre stage

Fiery and temperamental but always a charismatic star of the men's tour, Marat Safin has battled his love of the fast life and weight of expectation throughout his seven-year professional career. On the French Open eve, the Eurosportnews Guest of the Week is brimming with confidence about his summer circuit fortunes.

As a teenager the Russian trained with Spanish players in Valencia, and Safin believes this will stand him in good stead in Paris.

"Clay is probably one of my best surfaces. I move quite well for my height and nothing bothers me, I feel really comfortable," confirmed Safin.

The 24-year-old made advanced to the fourth round on his Roland Garros debut and has fond memories of the experience.

"I played really well against the likes of Andre Agassi and Gustavo Kuerten (the defending champion in 1998)."

Two years later he was knocked out by Swede Magnus Norman in the quarterfinals, but went one better in 2002, losing to Juan Carlos Ferrero.

"It was disappointing to lose in the semi-finals. I could have won, but I didn't believe in myself," said Safin.

One day I'll have to win this tournament because it's my favourite, I really enjoy it."

GOING FOR GOLD

Another tournament Safin would like to add to his 11 career singles titles would be an Olympic gold medal.

"It's not like all my life I have wanted to win an Olympic gold medal... but it would be nice to play for your country and experience the atmosphere of living in a village full of athletes," he beamed.

Safin's compatriot Yevgeny Kafelnikov, who retired from the tour in December, won the singles gold at the Sydney Olympics.

But the 2000 U.S. Open winner insists that this year's scheduling is very tough.

"We will have to fly from the United States to play in Greece and then fly back to prepare (for Flushing Meadow)."

A recent security threat in Athens, the Greek capital, hasn't dimmed Safin's enthusiasm, as he explains, "I don't think it is dangerous. I think it's great; everybody is going there for vacations.

"I'm sure it is a great country, and I don't think it's going to be very dangerous."

COACHING SAFIN: Fraught relations

Safin will be going to Athens with Roger Federer's former coach Peter Lundgren. The Swede joined the former world number one in Monte Carlo in an arrangement that is expected to run through the summer season.

Safin ended his coaching relationship with Denis Golovanov, "because he was my friend and to mix business with pleasure is difficult as you take a little too much to heart," Safin explained.

"I travelled for one week alone, then my manager asked if I wanted to try somebody. Lundgren came to Portugal; we talked and agreed to work together through Wimbledon.

Safin turned professional as a 17-year-old and was immediately hallmarked as a successor to Pete Sampras.

Seven years on, Safin believes that he can't change his technique.

"It's more psychological because the tennis player is complete.

"Peter has his own ideas about tennis and will make little adjustments to my game."

BACK TO BUSINESS AND FORM

The Russian missed the majority of 2003 with a left wrist injury, but battled back to fitness, which was highlighted by a sensational run at January's Australian Open.

He fell to Federer, the current world number one in the final, but it was the semi-final match against Agassi that Safin believes was one of his best matches ever.

Plenty has been written about the strides taken by Walt Landers to improve Safin's physical fitness, but the player himself wants to set the record straight.

"In Australia it really annoyed me. I don't like the fact that everybody made a big deal about it.

"Nobody saved my ass, there are no miracles in life, nobody did anything to bring me back to the tour.

"I didn't do anything special to be here again. I just pushed myself."

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to589923.shtml
User ID 4783 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurosport article on Marat

thanks a lot. thats great!

Last edited by Сафин : 05-17-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Shadow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
country flag Shadow

Shadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond reputeShadow has a reputation beyond repute

MARAT IS GUEST OF THE WEEK ON EUROSPORT

see 4 videos of him here:

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/..._Evt5210.shtml
Old 05-18-2004, 05:03 AM   #4
country flag alita

alita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond reputealita has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot!! The artical and the videos!

life is not perfect all the time, but every life deserve a good life.
alita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 05:28 AM   #5
country flag moonlight

moonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Andrea & Escada
moonlight is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
country flag Vass

Vass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond reputeVass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I move quite well for my height and nothing bothers me, I feel really comfortable."

First time I heared him say this. Looks like he memorized the phrase from the media.

"Why? Why does it have to be something dangerous? Because the American's say so? Come on, th eAmericans are everywhere in the world. And everywhere where they are it's dangerous. Oh my God, everywhere they are it's a mess..." There is more of his political views but this is particularly funny. Watch the video and check out his gestures.

Anastasia Myskina, Marat Safin thank you.

Last edited by Vass22 : 05-18-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Vass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

This was my fave part aswell

Can you listen to part two again cause if I've heard it right he says that he learned something from all his coaches, except from Mats.

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
country flag maratski

maratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond reputemaratski has a reputation beyond repute

I listened to it again and I assume he meant that he didn't learn from him cause they weren't together long enough.

Member of the unofficial international Mohamed Lahyani fanclub
maratski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #9
country flag Shadow

the fourth one was my fav too

the thing with the AMERICANS ( ) and all sportsman at the olympics
Old 05-20-2004, 02:27 AM   #10
country flag PennyThePenguin
Scavenger Hunter

PennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond reputePennyThePenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maratski
This was my fave part aswell

Can you listen to part two again cause if I've heard it right he says that he learned something from all his coaches, except from Mats.
yeah. he did say that and i was wondering why. but i guess your assumption's right. cos they didn't really travel much together.
PennyThePenguin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:54 AM   #11
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond reputeMarlene has a reputation beyond repute

well thanks guys i am gonna listen to the video .
I do not know much of Marat but i,ve always liked him.
its good to see him again on the courts