Time For A New Coach - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #31
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brainstorming To Find Nico A New Coach-Pato And Nano Won't Do In the Long Term!!!

This is an interesting article on Tennis Week. Pat Rafter is talking about how Lleyton needs to change his game - move from the running, grinding baseline play to more of a net game and be more aggressive where he shortens the points.

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennis...&bannerregion=

Nico also has to change his game from a running, baseline and very defensive game to a more aggressive game (though not sure if Nico can ever be comfortable at net). Nico talked about it earlier in the year, Gaby tried to steer him in that direction, but he never would or could do it in a match.

It will be interesting to see how well my new favorite coach (yes, I'm being sarcastic) will do in getting Nico to change his game....which he needs to do if he ever hopes to even get back into the top 50 again.
NicoFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #32
country flag TommyB.

TommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brainstorming To Find Nico A New Coach-Pato And Nano Won't Do In the Long Term!!!

Hm I don't know if a player like Hewitt can change his game. He's a defender, he has no powerful groundstrokes to be more aggressive imo.

Nico has a powerful forehand, but he needs a comfortable net game. There are only few players with a good net game btw.
TommyB. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #33
country flag NicoFan

NicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond reputeNicoFan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB. View Post
Hm I don't know if a player like Hewitt can change his game. He's a defender, he has no powerful groundstrokes to be more aggressive imo.

Nico has a powerful forehand, but he needs a comfortable net game. There are only few players with a good net game btw.
Nico does have a powerful forehand. But he's always played too defensively, and lately, it seems that all he plays is defense. Until he gets into tight situations, and then it seems like he goes for crazy shots rather than just picking the right moment to go for the winner. He needs to use that fh more. Be more aggressive.

I don't think that he ever will be a good net player. And yes, most players today aren't comfortable at the net so he can get away with it. But it would be nice to see him mix it up and now and again go up to net...surprise his opponent...especially a lower ranked guy who can't always come up with a passing shot.

Jimmy is trying to do that with Andy....not sure how well it's working.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #34
country flag NicoFan

EDIT: By more aggressive, I also mean to play just behind the baseline on hardcourts rather than 10 feet behind the baseline. I've been watching Rafa all week in Montreal - he's doing the same thing - you just cannot win on hardcourts if you stand that far back. It's too easy for your opponent to take the ball short and hit the winner against you. And I swear there are times when Nico is almost in the freaking stands.

And take teh ball early. I watch these guys today, and I know taking the ball early a la Andre is difficult. But for goodness sake, do it now and again. It makes me crazy watching them wait and wait for the ball before they hit it. Move in and take it early - obviously so much more difficult for your opponent to return the ball at that point.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #35
country flag TommyB.

TommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond reputeTommyB. has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, he played too defensively. I watched only few matches this year, but most of the time he was only reacting behind the baseline . But it's also a problem with confidence...less confidence = too defensive.

A good net game is difficult at the moment. The courts are slow...you need a very good volley. But a good volley is a big problem for many players.

Yes Arod mixed a little bit more. But I can't see a big difference so far. He has his great serve at least.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #36
country flag NicoFan

Confidence is the biggest problem right now.

But with everything in life, sometimes you have to force yourself to dive right in.

And only Nico can do that right now...no coach can "teach" him to do that.

Force himself at first to be agressive and then eventually it will become more and more natural....especially since by being more aggressive, he'll start to win a bit more.

Of course it has to be controlled aggressive play...the times that I've seen him play "aggressively" has ended up with him losing the point because he's not in control...it's like a wild crazy shot rather than a controlled winner.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #37
country flag TommyB.

Yes i hope he'll find a solution for himself. He has to find it..because time is running. But his coach should help him too, whoever, Rodriguez or somebody else in the future.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #38
country flag NicoFan

I have softened somewhat to Pato.

I still don't like what he did with La Familia de Tenis.

But he was very nice in NY. He was nice to the fans and good to Nico (most important thing!). At one point, he even patted Nico on the head. It was cute.

I just wish he'd talk more to Nico in practices. I'm sure that they talk a lot off the court, but I guess I just got used to Gaby who talked all the time in practice.

And Gaby of course is HOT and Pato is not.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #39
country flag kidnicky
Could it be any harder...

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care, I want Gaby back or at least someone else

there's a new video of Nico practicing in Amersfoort in Vassallo's website segundo saque ... you can see Gaby hitting the ball with Nico, Vassallo explained that Gaby was hitting the ball with no power so the one that should have to hit it with power will be Nico, to practice his forehand.

I miss Gaby

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini
The second thing that gets better with age

kidnicky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #40
country flag Alx
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Alx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond reputeAlx has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely and I were at that practice

I miss Nico

Nicolas Massu

Fernando Gonzalez

Vince "move your butt" Spadea Les ptits potes Victor Hanescu

Alx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #41
country flag kidnicky

kidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond reputekidnicky has a reputation beyond repute

well yeah, I miss Nico more than Gaby actually ... but feel mercy for NicoFan and me Alx .. believe it or not, you saw Nico more than us this year

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #42
country flag NicoFan

I miss Nico too.

Thanks for the headup on the video - I'll check it out.

Gaby...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #43
country flag kidnicky

the website is www.segundosaque.com ... it's the first video that you'll find

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini

Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #44
country flag NicoFan

It obviously doesn't matter what I think or what I am hoping for.

But I really want Nico to get a new coach over the offseason. One who will be tough. Someone like Jimmy Connors.

I don't like him down so low in the rankings - and he'll never move back up with Pato and Nano as coaches.

I'll be able to tell how serious he is about changing his game and coming back by what he does over the off season.

If he stays with Pato and Nano, he's happy being 70-100 in the world and is just going to cruise along until he retires.

But if he changes and gets a good coach from the US or Europe, I'll know that he seriously wants to be an ATP contender again.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #45
country flag kidnicky

why you keep hoping that he'd get a coach from the US?! that will never happen NicoFan

AC MILAN

Paolo Maldini