Burj Dubai tops out at 818 m - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #31
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai now has the tallest building in the world

Burj Dubai now stands at 700.9 meters. The first ever structure which hit the 700 mark.

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/

118.1 meters to go
Bilbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #32
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

what a joke. talk about wasteful spending.

the next bubble to burst is going to be dubai.
Stensland is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #33
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

Not unless the oil runs out and especially not at over $100/barrel.
Jimnik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #34
country flag Stensland

Stensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond reputeStensland has a reputation beyond repute

i just don't see people relocating permanently. and why would they want to ski in dubai if the alps are around the corner (i take it they wanna sway the western world with those tourism projects, right?)? dubai is currently probably losing billions of dollars by investing in stuff that will never pay off. do you really think this tower is going to be refinanced anytime soon? no way. it's just some egomaniacs trying to impress the rest of the world. the same goes for the airport and all kinds of "ideas" the rulers have had that got built over the last years.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #35
country flag Jimnik

Jimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond reputeJimnik has a reputation beyond repute

They probably failed to make a profit on most of their investments but it doesn't matter, at least not for the next 50 years or so. They're just trying to generate as much extra income as they can, on top of their oil revenue, by turning themselves into the Monte-Carlo of the middle-east. They're aiming to be a luxurious tax haven and popular tourist destination. Above all, they're just having fun with their money.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #36
country flag Stensland

well, but turning the city into monte carlo wasn't their initial plan, was it? i remember reading about their goals, the ruler planned to rival london and new york in terms of business, rival singapore in terms of shipping and air transport, rival europe in terms of sights and so on. i don't think they wanna be the "fun location". it'd take much less to achieve that as they could basically stop building now.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #37
country flag Jimnik

Yes of course they want businesses to invest, so does every country.

There's no reason to stop building. They've still got lots of money and there's always room for expansion. Nothing is ever finished.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #38
country flag Bilbo

Bilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo has a reputation beyond repute

they are making lots of money with their projects. nearly everything is sold out. don't know what you guys are talking. afraid they could be better than americans?

in dubai around 6% of the population are millionairs. ranked #5 in the world.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #39
country flag Jimnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
they are making lots of money with their projects.
I know they are but it doesn't mean they're making profits.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #40
country flag Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
I know they are but it doesn't mean they're making profits.
i'm sure they are doing at least with their most important projects. many of them are unique in the world which is always a good condition to make profits.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #41
country flag Louche

Louche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond reputeLouche has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this is foolish, but where does all the water they need for these huge buildings come from? I think of the Gulf States as arid places.

Projected height - 800-950m?

That's like taking the tallest building in the US and double the height.

Skin drawing

Old 09-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #42
country flag TankingTheSet

TankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond reputeTankingTheSet has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a very large number of Pakistanis, Indians, Filipinos and other poor workers who live in cheap accomodations in Dubai to work on the building projects, and they probably don't have full citizen rights and may not even be counted in official population figures.

TT Singles 2012: W: Winston-Salem SF: Honolulu CH, Rotterdam, Memphis, 's-Hertogenbosch, Wimbledon, Beijing, Vienna QF: Barcelona, Nice, Bastad, Petange CH, Bangkok R16: Monte Carlo, Madrid
TT Doubles 2012: W: Caloundra CH (with kingroger), Acapulco (with keqtqiadv) F: Beijing (with KittyTennis) SF: Sydney (with Belludal), Memphis (with Belludal), Guadalajara CH (with kingroger), Wimbledon (with RHB1993) QF: Barcelona (with extremaduratenis), Cincinnati (with stbanchile)
TankingTheSet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #43
country flag Purple Rainbow

Purple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond reputePurple Rainbow has a reputation beyond repute

Plans are underway for a much, much taller tower in Dubai, 1400 meters as is proposed now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Burj
Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #44
country flag Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louche View Post
819m but next year they will start building another tower which will have a height of 1400m.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #45
country flag Bilbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louche View Post
819m but next year they will start building another tower which will have a height of 1400m.