Rhyne Williams - Page 9 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #121
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rhyne Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
Finally! Something I can go to!
Please take pictures if you can

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #122
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Please take pictures if you can
I'll try, but I'm not a very good cameraman
Nor do I own a nice camera/camcorder
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #123
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Charlottesville Challenger

http://tenniseastcoast.com/

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #124
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Williams just picked up a nice win over Sweeting. 6-4, 6-4.

I caught a good portion of the second set on the live stream, which is, surprisingly, a decent quality picture. Williams looked good. Was serving really well.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #125
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good win for Rhyne. Not sure which stream you were watching, but I think the best one is from the usta website (http://www.usta.com/Pro-Tennis/Pro-C..._circuit_live/).

Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #126
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Tennessee’s Williams Bounces Seeded Sweeting at Charlottesville Challenger; Results, Order of Play

Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #127
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Rhyne avenged his loss (2011 NCAA Final) to Steve Johnson 46 64 64, great win. Bogomolov next, GL.

Edit: With this win, I think he is now 2-0 indoor against Johnson (2010 ITA Indoor Championship).

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #128
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rhyne avenged his loss (2011 NCAA Final) to Steve Johnson 46 64 64, great win. Bogomolov next, GL.

Edit: With this win, I think he is now 2-0 indoor against Johnson (2010 ITA Indoor Championship).
Yup. Rhyne was the last guy to beat Johnson in college before Johnson won like 80 straight matches. And Rhyne should have won the 2011 final against him. His semi against Sandgren wore him out while Johnson got a walkover when the guy from UVA threw a fit and walked off the court. Rhyne dominated Johnson in the first set, and then seemed gassed. He's in better shape now. Apparently he has lost 20 pounds since he was at UT.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Rhyne avenge the 2011 final. Could be that he is simply the better play when indoors.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #129
country flag kidbourbon

Bogomolov will be a tough test. Good luck to him.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #130
country flag PTWahoo14

PTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond reputePTWahoo14 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidbourbon View Post
And Rhyne should have won the 2011 final against him. His semi against Sandgren wore him out while Johnson got a walkover when the guy from UVA threw a fit and walked off the court. Rhyne dominated Johnson in the first set, and then seemed gassed. He's in better shape now. Apparently he has lost 20 pounds since he was at UT.
Disagree. I think Johnson was/is just better outdoors and was able to change his game plan and outplay Williams that day. A tennis athlete at that level should not be gassed from just one match like that. Not to mention, Johnson had already played more matches than Rhyne that whole week due to the team event and doubles.

yuck! defending him leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....or on my fingers in this case. *leaves to wash hands*
PTWahoo14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #131
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Williams defeats Johnson at Charlottesville Pro Challenger

Intense rivalry, were all of their matches like this?

Quote:

Trash talk is a common occurrence between cornerbacks and wide receivers, point guards and, lately, presidential candidates.

But between pro tennis players who actually consider themselves friends?

Yes, on Wednesday afternoon Rhyne Williams and Steve Johnson — two of the better up-and-coming young Americans — engaged in some verbal repartee at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.

In the end, Williams emerged with a hard-fought 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Johnson in the second round of the Charlottesville Men’s Pro Challenger.

Williams, a former player at the University of Tennessee, will take on No. 2 seed Alex Bogomolov Jr. of Russia in Friday’s quarterfinals.

“We’re both pretty emotional players and there was a lot of stress out there today,” Williams said. “It was a big match for both of us.

“It’s kind of a little rivalry I guess. We’re buddies off the court, but we’re both very serious when we get on the court.”

Late in the second set, there weren’t many signs of a friendship.

The 253rd-ranked Williams missed a serve and started bickering with the chair umpire. At that point, Johnson, the former USC star, told Williams that his serve was several inches out. As Williams continued his argument, Johnson said to him: “All day, all day — that’s all you do is run your mouth.”

The verbal exchange was the peak of sniping and gamesmanship that had gone on for the better part of the match.

A few moments later, Williams closed out the set with a service winner.

In the third set, Johnson seemed affected by a right shoulder injury that had previously caused him to take a medical timeout and Williams broke him twice, jumping out to a 4-1 lead.

Johnson broke back to pull to 4-2, then held easily to make it 4-3. With Williams serving, Johnson got out to a 30-15 lead. However, he lost three straight points — the last coming when he netted a backhand off a Williams second serve that had seemed returnable.

After Johnson held his serve, Williams was able to close out the match on his.

“All the credit to him,” Johnson said. “He served really well and kept me on my toes.”

Johnson, a two-time NCAA singles champion, said he doesn’t know what’s going on with his shoulder.

“It’s been kind of an ongoing thing for about a month now,” he said. “It kind of got worse today. We’re not sure what the problem is.”

The matchup between Williams and Johnson was an intriguing one due to their similar styles.

“We both play almost the same way — good serve, good forehand and weaker backhand side, so we were picking on each other’s backhands the whole match,” Williams said. “It was like a chess match to see who could hit the backhand better.”

In the first set, Williams had looked out of sorts. He slammed his racket at least a half-dozen times and scolded himself loudly. When Johnson broke him to close out the first set, he launched a ball toward a court at the far end of the facility and received a code violation from the chair ump.

But in the second set, Williams seemed to temper his emotions. He broke Johnson to go up 5-4, then held his serve.

Williams and Johnson are quite familiar with each other from their college days. In 2011, Johnson defeated Williams in the NCAA Tournament finals.

After Wednesday’s match, the two pooh-poohed their trash talking.

“It’s no big deal,” Johnson said. “That’s what happens. We’re two competitive guys who don’t want to lose to each other. That’s what happens.”

Williams, the nephew of University of Virginia Foundation CEO Tim Rose, said all is good.

“We talked at the net after the match and both said sorry,” he said.

Williams added: “We’re friends off the court, but enemies on the court.”

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/sports/2012/oct/31/williams-defeats-johnson-charlottesville-pro-chall-ar-2327422/

Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #132
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chatting with Jack Sock.

http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/a...allery&pid=972
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0128.jpg (309.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by SapELee : 11-01-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #133
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 387661_415456261855622_1158211182_n.jpg (56.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #134
country flag kidbourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWahoo14 View Post
Disagree. I think Johnson was/is just better outdoors and was able to change his game plan and outplay Williams that day. A tennis athlete at that level should not be gassed from just one match like that. Not to mention, Johnson had already played more matches than Rhyne that whole week due to the team event and doubles.

yuck! defending him leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....or on my fingers in this case. *leaves to wash hands*

I'm convinced -- absolutely convinced -- that the entire team went out the night before the UGA match and got absolutely hammered. UGA had no business beating UT that year. JP Smith at 1. Williams at 2. Sandgren at 3. UT's third seed was better than everybody on UGA's team, and yet Sandgren lost.

My hypothesis is strengthened by the fact that JP Smith puked on the court in the third set of his singles match.

UT had beaten that UGA team just like a week or two prior to win the SEC. And I bet they got a little overconfident; didnt think there was any way UGA could beat them; and so they all went out and got hammered. I can come up with no other explanation for how they lost that match.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #135
country flag kidbourbon

Default Re: Williams defeats Johnson at Charlottesville Pro Challenger

Quote:
Intense rivalry, were all of their matches like this?

I'm not sure. That's cool, though. I like rivalries.