Rhyne Williams - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #76
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rhyne Williams

They are showing this match now.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #77
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Nevermind, they switch back to Riske-Davis match.

“When you fall for someone’s personality, everything else about them becomes beautiful.”
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #78
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Won 3&4, first American male to advance to 2nd round of Q.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #79
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

76(5) 62 over Andrey Golubev, great win. Good luck against Peter Gojowczyk.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #80
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Two blog posts on Williams at tennis-prose.com. They were really impressed with his game.

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles...alies-day-one/

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles...hyne-williams/

Last edited by kidbourbon : 08-24-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: .
kidbourbon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #81
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Boom!

And Williams is in the main draw.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #82
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Congrats to Rhyne on qualifying for his lst slam maindraw . Bad news: Rhyne draws Andy Roddick. Good news: he will probably be on a televised showcourt.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #83
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Main event: In the Big Apple with a dream, qualifiers put the ‘Open’ in US Open

Quote:
NEW YORK — Because he’s a player who has spent more time watching Roger Federer on TV than trying to beat him, it’s safe to say Rhyne Williams will not win the U.S. Open this year.

But to say the 21-year-old’s trip to Flushing Meadows has been less than a rousing success — well, that wouldn’t be quite right, either.

While Federer, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams and all those other big names get their chance to make history next week, it’s players such as Rhyne Williams and 17-year-old Samantha Crawford who truly put the “Open” in the U.S. Open this week.

They, along with 485th-ranked former NCAA champion Bradley Klahn, are among those who won their third qualifying matches Friday to make it into the main draw. They grinded out the wins on the same courts some of the greats will play on starting Monday. They did it not to the cheers of thousands but in front of the hundreds who got in for free this week to watch the warm-up act for the last Grand Slam tournament of the year.

Nothing small-time about it to these players, though.

“I’m still shaking,” said Crawford, ranked 394th, about 15 minutes after her 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 win over Eleni Daniilidou of Greece.

Williams, ranked 283rd coming into the week, shared the exact same sentiment after his 6-3, 6-2 victory over Peter Gojowczyk of Germany.

“I’m still shaking,” Williams said. “It’s incredible. I’ve dreamed my whole life about playing here in the main draw. I’ve finally done it. Hopefully, I’ll have many more years left here.”

Williams was the NCAA runner-up in 2011 while playing for Tennessee and, after some success over the following months, decided to turn pro. His mother is Michelle Williams, a former pro who, as a tennis-loving little girl, inspired her father, Mike DePalmer, to reach out to a friend and start a tennis school.

The school is now known as the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy.

“I knew I had a good shot at being a pro,” Williams said. “It’s in the family. It’s in my blood.”

Even with great bloodlines, no thriving tennis career is preordained. In search of his first big breakthrough as a pro, Williams got it on a steamy, 85-degree day on Court 17 in front of about 200 fans. His next match will be early next week in his first Grand Slam tournament. His opponent will be determined late Friday night.

“I’ve never played a best-of-5 match before,” he said. “That’s very new for me. But I’ve been around the level. I’ve hit balls with guys in the top 10 and top 100 plenty of times. I’m used to the way they play.”

Williams is among the 32 players — 16 men and 16 women — who will make it through qualifying and find themselves in the main draw early next week. Two years ago, Klahn got a wild card into the main draw after winning the NCAA title at Stanford. He took Sam Querrey to four sets in the opening round. This year, he had to win three times in qualifying simply to get back to the same point.

A priceless experience? Of course. But nobody at this level will tell you it’s not about the money. By winning the three matches, qualifiers are guaranteed at least the $23,000 that goes to a first-round loser in the main draw. Easily the biggest payday for Williams, a player who did pick up a win at a lower-tier tournament in Spain earlier this year — first-place prize money: $1,300......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...7_story_1.html

Old 08-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #84
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidbourbon View Post
Two blog posts on Williams at tennis-prose.com. They were really impressed with his game.

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles...alies-day-one/

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles...hyne-williams/

Quote:
Williams reminded me of Ginepri because of his steady smooth consistent topspin game and also a bit of Hewitt because of his confident strut and swagger around the court. Watch out for this kid Rhyne Williams, who did a Biofile right after the match with me.
I guess I wasn't the only person with this thought .

Old 08-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #85
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

From usopen.org photo gallery:

Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #86
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Wilson Tennis ‏@WilsonTennis

Congrats to Rhyne Williams on qualifying!! Check out Rhyne signing a Wilson jumbo tennis ball for a fan http://instagr.am/p/Ot_aOxgVRS/

Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #87
country flag benji47

benji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond reputebenji47 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG I want Rhyne to beat Roddick so bad it's hurting me lol...
benji47 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #88
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I was curious about his family, so I did a search and found this:

Quote:
His mother, Michelle DePalmer Williams, who, like her son, is a former Orange Bowl champion, went on to play professionally; his grandfather, Michael DePalmer Sr., coached the men's team for 14 years and was a founder of the legendary Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy; his uncle, Michael Jr., was a Top 50 ATP professional who later coached Boris Becker. That powerful gravitational pull is countered by his father Bob, who competed at Duke, although that heritage was incidental to his decision to consider the Blue Devils, according to Williams.

Link
That is some serious tennis genes.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #89
country flag kidbourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post

That is some serious tennis genes.
Yeah, that's a tennis family for sure.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #90
country flag kidbourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji47 View Post
OMG I want Rhyne to beat Roddick so bad it's hurting me lol...
Preaching to the choir.

FWIW, Vegas thinks his chances are decent. The moneyline on him winning is +650. So if you risk a 100 dollars on him, and he wins, you get 650. I expected it to be a bigger number.