Rhyne Williams - Page 21 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #301
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rhyne Williams

Dolgopolov is tricky player and is the type of player that can take Rhyne out of his comfort zone. Rhyne will need to serve well to have a chance. I think he should go for broke as much as possible. Good luck Rhyne

Rhyne needs to hit the weight room more. I still remember the USO commentator saying he has a body of a junior

http://tenniseastcoast.com/2013/02/2...ursday-action/

Tennis Account: https://twitter.com/ARhyneMoment
Youtube Channel: youtube.com/SapELee485
Rhyne's Picture Thread
Rhyne Williams FB Updates
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #302
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

From Dallas Challenger, picture slideshows @ http://www.jpkinxpot.com/blog-2/
more pictures @ http://jpk-photo-inxpot.smugmug.com/...0790&k=Rg2gSkm

Rhyne's Picture Thread

Last edited by SapELee : 02-21-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #303
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lost 46 64 46 good effort Too bad he couldn't hold on to the break in the 1st set. But he made Dolgopolov work for it. His serve was poor in the beginning (DF on BP in the first set), but got better as the match progressed 15 Aces, saved 10/13 BPs.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #304
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default 5 questions with Rhyne Williams

This was a good month to be the guy they call "Rhyno."

Just 21, Rhyne Williams started the month with a surprising win in the Dallas Challenger, good for nearly $15,000 and 100 points in the rankings. He followed that up this past Monday with his first ATP-level victory, over former two-time NCAA singles champion Steve Johnson. It happened in Memphis, not far to the west from his birthplace, residence and scene of many college triumphs at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.

"It's definitely been a goal of mine playing on tour," Williams said Tuesday. "This is just one more step. I'm getting closer. My body's breaking down a bit here, but maybe I can run on momentum for a few more days."

Williams comes from a tennis-playing family. His mother, Michelle, was an All-American at UT and father Bob was All-ACC at Duke. Sisters Jennifer and Caitlyn both played junior tennis; Caitlyn is on the UT roster. He is coached by his cousin, Christopher Williams. His idol growing up was Roger Federer, and believe it or not, his favorite surface is clay.

Williams was 0-3 in previous ATP matches, having qualified into the 2012 events at Indian Wells and the U.S. Open and received a wild card into this year's Australian Open. On Thursday in Memphis, he was to play the winner of the Bjorn Phau-Alexandr Dolgopolov match in the second round.

Williams is currently ranked No. 159, but is expected to rise to around No. 134 when next week's ATP World Tour rankings are released. Based on last year's performance, he's hoping for a wild card in Indian Wells and will try to qualify in Miami. ESPN.com caught up with Williams after an off-day hit after his breakthrough victory.

ESPN.com: You had to qualify just to get into the Dallas Challenger earlier this month. How did it feel to win your first professional tournament?

Rhyne Williams: That was an incredible tournament for me. I was not expecting to win. I've been working hard on my physical conditioning, but I played some incredible tennis that week. I beat some veterans, Rajeev Ram, Frank Dancevic, Robby Ginepri in the final. Couldn't be happier with my performance.

ESPN.com: You got to the NCAA singles final for the University of Tennessee in 2011, then turned pro. What made you think you were ready?

Williams:
I went to school knowing that one day I wanted to play professional tennis. I pretty much had accomplished all the things I wanted to accomplish in college. I was ranked No. 1 and No. 2. I wanted a team victory and we lost in the finals. I figured it was just time. I felt like I was mature enough and physically ready to make the next step. To be honest, I had a ton of fun off the court and needed to focus on my tennis goals.

ESPN.com: You won the USTA qualifier into the main draw at the 2013 Australian Open, then took the first two sets against No. 28-ranked Florian Mayer, but lost 6-2, 6-3, 2-6, 6-7 (12), 1-6. What happened in the last three sets of that match?

Rhyne Williams: [Sigh]. I started off on fire, serving incredibly. Maybe he underestimated me a little bit -- then he woke up, just in time. In the fourth set, I had a few match points on his serve. I couldn't quite decide what I wanted to do on those match points. The tiebreaker was a dogfight and it was 100 degrees out there. It was just a heartbreaker. I couldn't close it out. Credit to him. He came up with the goods.

ESPN.com: What did that match teach you about what the specific areas are in which you need to improve?

Williams: I learned that on the big points, the top guys don't go away. They don't give you the loose errors some other guys do. You have to go after them with no fear. To be honest, I was afraid I was going to miss. I went too far back in the court. I didn't miss, but it was enough to give him the advantage. He was the aggressor on big points -- that's why he won.

ESPN.com: You've already had the biggest rankings jump -- from No. 192 to a projected No. 134 -- of any American in the top 200 over the first seven weeks of the season. What are your goals for 2013 and beyond?

Williams: I need to improve my net game, close off points more quickly. I need to come in behind my serve and forehand. My coach, Christopher Williams, and I are going to work on that in the coming weeks. I think I can do it; I have the hands and the touch. I feel like it's something I can implement in my game. Short term, I want to push for the top 100. Long term, I want to be in the main draw of the Grand Slams -- that's where the damage is done. I have a long way to go, but I feel like it's doable.

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/not...erena-williams

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #305
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Williams Continuing Family’s Tennis Legacy

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...tennis-legacy/

Quote:
The other shoppers in the Knoxville grocery store probably don’t know who she is and certainly have no idea what she is doing.

Michelle DePalmer-Williams is, from all appearances, just another mom loading the cart with milk and bread and orange juice, checking her iPhone for text messages and emails.

In truth, she is watching – and at some level, playing – a tennis match. Maybe her 21-year-old son Rhyne is playing a first-round match at the Australian Open or, most recently, winning his first main ATP Tour match at the U.S. National Indoor Championships at The Racquet Club of Memphis.

Wherever he is, she is following every point online and in the raw statistics available to her – first-serve percentage, as one example – and getting a feel for how he’s playing. It is as close as she’s going to get to seeing him play, at least for now.

“I don’t really like my family to watch,” Williams, a two-time All-American at the University of Tennessee, said after beating fellow American Steve Johnson in a first-round match at The Racquet Club. “They don’t put pressure on me, but maybe it’s in my head or I put it on myself.

“They’ve all coached me, my whole family. My grandfather (Mike DePalmer Sr.) coached at Tennessee ... my mom, my dad, my uncles, they were pros and coaches. It’s a huge tennis family and I’d just rather do it on my own, I guess.”

It’s a huge tennis family legacy. In the 1970s, Williams’ grandfather DePalmer and Nick Bollettieri founded a tennis academy in Florida – largely inspired by the potential of young Michelle – and today it’s known as IMG Academy and boasts alumni ranging from Andre Agassi and Jim Courier to Serena and Venus Williams.

Michelle was an All-American at UT and rose to No. 92 in the world until a back injury aced her career at age 21. Rhyne’s father, Bob, played at Duke and still plays well enough to hit with Rhyne. Sister Jennifer played at Division I Birmingham-Southern College and sister Caitlyn is playing at UT now. Uncle Mike, who was Top 30 on the ATP Tour, was Boris Becker’s traveling coach. And cousin Christopher Williams, another former UT player and good friend, is Rhyne’s current coach.

Ranked 159th coming into the Memphis tournament, Rhyne said: “My ultimate dream is to be Top 50 in the world.”

What he doesn’t say: He never achieved a Juniors ranking as high as his mother’s.

“I think he really wants to pass me up in the pros,” Michelle said with a laugh. “We’re kind of a competitive family, but it’s all in good fun.”

How competitive? Michelle used to get down on the floor and try to match her children push-up for push-up.

Rhyne likes to say, “I haven’t done anything yet,” but admits to modeling his game – “big serve, big forehand” – after the recently retired Andy Roddick, the last American man to win a Grand Slam. Mom said he had a poster of Roddick hanging over his bed growing up; now, Rhyne is a lot like a young Roddick.

“He wears his emotions on his sleeve; I love watching Rhyne play,” his mother said, noting she saw all his home matches at UT and juniors matches that took them to Europe and South America. “He lets you know when he’s won a point.”

The family joke: He must get it from dad.

“I was the Ice Princess,” Michelle said, although that’s not an accurate description of her emotions now. “I think I’m his biggest fan. I tell him that all the time.”

Right back at you, mom, because when Rhyne was asked how high she got in the rankings, he said, “She was like Top 80 in the world.”

It’s an ever-so-slight embellishment, just enough to remind that the son is proud of what the mother accomplished even as he strives to make his own way.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #306
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Rhyne Williams ‏@RhyneWilliams

Awesome couple of weeks.. Exhausted and ready to get back to the man cave and chill for a few days with @TennysSandgren #callofdutytime
I guess no Delray

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #307
country flag Jovard

Jovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond reputeJovard has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad he couldn't hold his lead in the first set, who knows maybe he would have won it in 2. Anyway, he will get him next time
Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #308
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Congrats on the new career high 133 I hope Rhyne can defend his qualifying points in Indian Wells.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #309
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

When is his next tourney?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #310
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Indian Wells and Miami

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #311
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Rhyne came immediately to mind when I saw this tweet. I hope he sees this.

Quote:
Tracy Austin ‏@thetracyaustin

1 of hardest things in tennis-managing emotions.You need enough intensity to be engaged but not too much,as it veers towards anger. #balance

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #312
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Got IW qualifying wildcard. Was hoping for a md wildcard, but this will do. Let's defend those points Rhyne.

And seriously guys

https://twitter.com/RhyneWilliams/st...91615014514688

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #313
country flag kidbourbon

kidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond reputekidbourbon has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like my apartment.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #314
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I liked that Rhyne is close with the juniors, but I hope they don't pick up his bad habits He seems popular with the Boca kids.

Rhyne's Picture Thread
Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #315
country flag tennis2018

tennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond reputetennis2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
Doesn't look like him tbh and plus that necklace (metal chain) is not his style
I know now that this is Martin Emmrich...they do kinda favor each other...thanks for helping me clear that up...plus I met Martin @ Delray Beach this week
tennis2018 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote