John Isner - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #106
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Isner

Not bad Isner learn more

last interview video

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7o4zmssdirj
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 04:32 AM   #107
country flag tennisrocks123

tennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond reputetennisrocks123 has a reputation beyond repute

nice run at open. who else thinks that his voice makes him sound kinda dorky?

Richard Gasquet

Novak Djokovic

Daniel Brands

Andy Roddick

Juan Martin del Potro, Tomas Berdych, Gilles Simon, Frank Dancevic, Marat Safin
tennisrocks123 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #108
country flag linus

linus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond reputelinus has a reputation beyond repute

the official site provides another video for John, off-court spotlight with Taylor Dent, enjoy

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2zu4m140xxd
linus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #109
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Good article from ESPN.

I like John but I think the real test of his abilities will come in his sophmore year when the honeymoon's over and the inevitable expectations of performing well day in and day out starts to weigh heavier on his shoulders; the backlash/criticisms from fans and the press begins, the daily grind of practicing and touring starts to affect his mind and body, and the other players get an idea of what his game is about so there's no longer the element of surprise!-I'm-seven-feet-tall-and-can-serve-from-a-tree from him anymore.

Not many players do as well after their rookie year. He seems smart and well grounded so I hope he won't end up being one of those players who can't handle the pressure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=3038573
Quote:
Despite unconventional path, Isner beginning to flourish
By Bonnie D. Ford
September 27, 2007

GOTHENBURG, Sweden -- John Isner went back to school after he lost to Roger Federer at the U.S. Open, but not because he's still a semester shy of his undergraduate degree.

Isner returned to Athens, Ga., where he starred for the University of Georgia, because it's the place where he's most comfortable in the world. He'd just been through some serious seismic activity, and he wanted a week to get back on solid ground, rest and relax and see a football game.

"It kind of sunk in then," Isner said of his breakout summer, in which he reached the final in Washington, D.C., against top American Andy Roddick and the third round of the Open against world No. 1 Federer within the space of a month. "I realized now that I'm playing so much better, I can compete with anyone in the world, and it's up to me to keep it up and see how far I can go."

The North Carolina native was talking during a quiet moment at the U.S. Davis Cup team's hotel in Gothenburg, Sweden, where he and Sam Querrey served as practice partners for the squad. The U.S. team defeated Sweden and earned a chance to play a home final for the first time in 15 years. Isner said he enjoyed the trip despite being ravaged early on by a stomach flu that carved 12 pounds off his 6-foot-9, 236-pound frame within a couple of days.

There's a chance his immune system is going to take a beating as he sets out on the nomadic ATP circuit -- Isner didn't play much junior tennis or travel outside the United States to compete. Instead, he stayed home and played tennis three or four times a week and led a normal teenaged existence. Neither that nor his ostensibly unconventional path through four years of college seems to be hurting him now.

"There's a lesson to be learned here for parents and coaches," said U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe, who was so impressed with Isner's performance in Washington that he invited him to Sweden on live television after the final.

"There are a lot of guys out there who probably should have gone to college, who are struggling," McEnroe said. "A big part of making it in professional tennis is how you deal with the emotional ups and downs, and there are a lot of downs, because you lose a lot."

The weekend Isner was back in Athens, his beloved Bulldogs fell to South Carolina. One of the charming -- and rather remarkable -- things about the towering 22-year-old is that the football team's loss bothered him far more than anything that has befallen him on the tennis court so far.

"I'm a huge sports fan, and when one of my teams loses, I'll go into my cave, my little shell, for a whole day," Isner said, stretching his long legs out in the players' dining area. "I've been known to break my phone a couple times. I get so nervous."

Yet in a match, what you see with Isner is what you get -- a seemingly unflappable competitor who is confident without being arrogant. He attributes his composure to playing four years at Georgia, where the pressure to perform in a team setting made playing solo a breeze by comparison.

"Now that I'm playing just for me, I didn't feel that much pressure at all," he said. "The only person I'm going to disappoint is myself. I'm not going to let anyone else down.

"I don't get flustered. I rarely get mad. This summer, every guy I played was ranked ahead of me and every match was a huge opportunity. I couldn't afford to get down on myself."

That was true even when Isner faced Federer, and won the first set in a tiebreak in a packed Arthur Ashe Stadium. Federer won the match in four sets, but Isner won morale points. "I went out there thinking I was going to win the match," he said. "He kind of figured me out and beat me down those last three sets, but there wasn't a single point of the match where I doubted myself."

Isner can't go anywhere without being picked out of a crowd. Tennis people know who he is, but most strangers assume, understandably, that he plays basketball, which he hasn't played since ninth grade.

Still, hoops has something to do with where Isner is now, according to Georgia coach Manny Diaz. Isner was nearly as tall as he is now when he played basketball, but 40 pounds lighter, and got knocked around a lot in the post.

"He was a kid who really wasn't intimidated by tough situations, very secure in who he was," Diaz said. "But the special thing about John is that he was never really one to put his self-worth on the line in a tennis match.

"A lot of kids get so tight in big matches, and see themselves relative to what they do on the court that day. John is one of the best competitors I've ever seen, in large part because he doesn't get caught up in 'What if I fail?' in big situations."

Isner knows that if he's successful on the ATP level, the dynamic will change and he'll be a marked man instead of the lovable underdog. He's currently ranked No. 144 and is playing in a Challenger event in Tulsa, Okla., this week. Isner plans to play other lower-level events in the U.S. this fall to try to boost his position enough to get into the Australian Open main draw.

Diaz predicted Isner's transition will be smooth. Isner rented an apartment in Tampa, Fla., the week after the NCAA championships and already has a circle of friends and mentors, thanks to his friendship with Bo Hodge, the ex-Georgia All-American who was one of Roddick's high school pals and now works with Mardy Fish.

James Blake also has taken Isner under his wing, although he wasn't crazy about the fact that Isner won a few hands of poker in Sweden.

"He fit right in with the guys, and there's this sense he feels like he belongs, in a good way," McEnroe said. "The stronger he gets, and put a little weight on him, I think he's going to be real dangerous."
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #110
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Odd. Isner correctly has stated several times about the need to

break into the top one hundred by the end of the year. By doing so

he gets direct entry into the Australian Open. If he does not, it

will be a tough choice for the USTA, choosing between Isner and

Young for the wildcard that they receive in the agreement between

the two federations. In fact, considering all the factors involved

in the decision(on and off the court)at this point, I think that

Young would be the choice to receive direct entry. Yet, Isner is

playing the challenger in Calabasas next week and not in

the challenger this week in Sacramento? With time growing short in

the 2007 season?

Seems like very poor scheduling on his part......

Last edited by Chaos Inc. : 10-13-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Chaos Inc. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:31 AM   #111
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

It's because he agreed to do two charity events this week - on Oct 9 and 10.

Fee told me he's playing Calabasas next week so I am hoping to be able to go out there to see him play.

I think he would get the nod for the WC over Young, because realistically, he is more likely to win a few matches. But we'll see. maybe he can get himself into the top 100 by having a great fall and it won't matter

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #112
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

What about his plans the week after Calabasas? Will he arrive to Europe to play the latest indoor tournaments?
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #113
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately because we got cut off with the entry lists, it's hard to say He might go to Korea after Calabasas, there is a big 125K challenger there...

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #114
country flag jcempire

jcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond reputejcempire has a reputation beyond repute

Round of 16
Final
Q Luka Gregorc 66 4

5 John Isner 7 6

Good win for John

Keep going JOhn...

Nadal Nadal Nadal
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #115
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Isner has been doing a solid job this fall. He has made it to two

semifinals, losing a third set tiebreak to the eventual champion

in each tournament.

Good luck this week John.
Chaos Inc. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:53 AM   #116
country flag Fitz

Fitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would post a few pictures of John from Cincinnati this year since there aren't many photos in the thread ... yet. They are from when he practiced with Amer Delic. Wish they were better but oh well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1255small.JPG (103.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1259small.JPG (97.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1262small.JPG (96.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1266small.JPG (105.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1270small.JPG (88.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg JohnIsner.jpg (218.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #117
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

You let someone other than me take your pictures for you Fitz? I'm so hurt...

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #118
country flag Fitz

Fitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond reputeFitz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
You let someone other than me take your pictures for you Fitz? I'm so hurt...
You did take that one!! Don't you remember? Amer and John were still practicing after I had my meeting with Andy M. and I bumped into you for like the 3rd time that day!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #119
country flag Fee

Fee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond reputeFee has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't remember. How did I take a picture of you and Isner, and not get one of me and Isner? Are you SURE I took that one? I know I took some of the others, but I think I was gone before Isner showed up. Wasnt I? (Oh no, they say the memory is the first thing to go... aaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh, old age!)

@dougrobson - Whoever is supplying Mahut with hair gel needs to ink a sponsorship deal now.

@Wimbledon - FYI, with @Wimbledon live scoring devices, please add 50 to the games in the fifth set of the Isner v Mahut match.

@HolterMedia - Nice to see that a three-day test has come to tennis here @wimbledon.

Andy wearring Crocs, courtesy of Smitty8
Fee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #120
country flag Fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
No, I don't remember. How did I take a picture of you and Isner, and not get one of me and Isner? Are you SURE I took that one? I know I took some of the others, but I think I was gone before Isner showed up. Wasnt I? (Oh no, they say the memory is the first thing to go... aaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh, old age!)
Yup, I'm sure. You told me to go up to him when there was an opening and took it and then Amer came out. You should have asked me to take it for you! I do remember taking a picture of you with someone ... it was either with Eric or Jamie but I can't remember either and I'm young!