John Isner - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #31
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: John Isner

Isner beat Becker 3-6 7-5 7-6(6).

Next up for Isner is Odesnik. Keep up the solid play John and good

luck.
Chaos Inc. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #32
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

Great chance for John to make it to the quarters.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #33
country flag Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

Isner beat Odesnik 6-7(4) 7-6(3) 7-6(2).

Nice run John. Haas next. He is the definite favorite to win the

match with your inexperience. If Tommy beats you, go down swinging

like you have the entire tournament. You have nothing to lose, the

pressure is on him.........
Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #34
country flag tulsatea

tulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond repute

It was a dominant serving performance, even by John Isner's lofty standards.

Isner's serve had to be transcendent in order for him to outlast Wayne Odesnik, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (3), 7-6 (2). Thursday's win pushes Isner into the quarterfinals of the Legg Mason Classic, only his second-ever ATP event.

Next up for Isner is No. 2 seed Tommy Haas, the ninth-ranked player in the world. The match will be shown live today at 2 p.m. on ESPN2.

"I know he was once as high as No. 2 in the world," Isner said. "I've never, ever played a guy close to his caliber before."

Odesnik, ranked No. 189 in the world, is certainly no Tommy Haas, but his serve gave Isner fits the entire match.

Isner managed to get to break point twice on Odesnik's serve, and both times Odesnik won the point. Odesnik won an impressive 71 percent of the points on his serve.

"He wasn't a huge server, but he was a smart server," Isner said.

Isner, though, was a huge server. The former Page High standout won an astounding 86 percent of the points on his serve, including 91 percent when he got his first serve in. Isner pounded 31 aces.

As Isner noted after his win in the previous round, the advantage in a tiebreaker usually goes to the bigger serve. Thursday was no exception. After dropping a first-set tiebreaker to Odesnik, 7-4, Isner cruised through tiebreakers in the next two sets, 7-3 and 7-2, respectively.

Perhaps the more difficult foe for Isner today will be fatigue. He has played three straight two-hour-plus matches, all of which have gone to third-set tiebreakers.

"I'm so confident in my serve right now," Isner said. "I'm so confident in my serve right now, it's going to keep me in any match no matter who I play."
tulsatea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #35
country flag tulsatea

tulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond reputetulsatea has a reputation beyond repute

"He will have a great opportunity," said Ricardo Acuna, a U.S. national coach who has coached Isner the past 2½ weeks. "He definitely put himself in position to get invitations to other tournaments. At the same time, we'll see how he does in some other tournaments. His ranking may still not be good enough to get into those tournaments."

Isner broke out with a 4-6, 6-4, 7-6(4) victory over Henman in the opening round. He had to come from behind again against Becker on Wednesday, battling through a tough second set en route to a 3-6, 7-5, 7-6 (6) victory.

After Isner defeated Becker, Georgia tennis coach Manuel Diaz saw him flash a big smile. It brought back memories of Isner's journey in reaching this stage at a time when some have questioned whether American tennis is at a lull.

"[Isner] gives college tennis the due respect," Acuna said. "He shows you can still play four years of college and be able to play on the tour. He demonstrated that is possible to do."

But the real question, Acuna said, is how much Isner's game will develop.

Isner was a basketball player until his sophomore year of high school in North Carolina, when he quit because he didn't feel comfortable playing inside.

"I was a perimeter player," Isner said. "I was like Dirk [Nowitzki]. I was tall and could shoot [3-pointers]. I wasn't big enough to bang down low. Or at least wide enough, that is."

In tennis, though, Isner could take advantage of his long frame, which helped his serve's trajectory and partly led to his dominance in college. Physical advantages are rarer at the pro level, but Isner thinks he's gaining confidence and playing patiently while also realizing mental errors quickly can spell defeat.

"Fortunately, I was serving exceptionally well," Isner said yesterday. "That's what carried me today. I need to learn how to start winning in quicker fashion. But I'll take it. A win is a win."

His college coach agreed.

"He was more of a baseliner in college, and he pretty much served and volleyed all the time," Diaz said. "These [professional] guys are stronger in returning than the college players. In order for him to continue to improve, he has to continue to play aggressively and continue to attack the net."

That was evident as both Henman and Becker tried to make Isner run around the court, hoping his long legs would tire him out. But Isner gave them few opportunities to do that, often holding serve.

Isner smoked Becker with 30 aces and only had two double-faults. Against Henman, Isner won all five of his service points in the tiebreaking set. One of his serves in that match clocked 141 mph — the second-fastest serve at Legg Mason so far behind only Andy Roddick's 143 mph serve against Tomas Zib on Tuesday.

"I thought I beat him," Isner said with a laugh. "My serve comes down at a steep angle. I extend the racket and get it up in the air. ... I can create good angles on my serve, and I feel I can hit any spot on the court. I feel I can hold my serve against just about anybody."

Isner has taken advantage of the opportunity and is hoping his play has impressed officials enough to warrant an invitation to the U.S Open later this month.

"It's something that no matter what the situation in this tournament, I've been really calm out there," Isner said. "I don't feel any pressure. I have nothing to lose in this tournament. I'm going out there to grip it and rip it."
tulsatea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #36
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, good for him!! Good luck against Tommy!

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #37
country flag ae wowww
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond reputeae wowww has a reputation beyond repute

Nice article, good to see Johnny bringing out the wins! I hope to see a lot more of him, and wish him luck in obtaining a wildcard for the USO.
Jim Thomas - Max Mirnyi - Jordan Kerr - Rohan Bopanna - Andy Roddick - Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - Ilia Bozoljac - Chris Haggard - Jan-Michael Gambill - Donald Young - Nathan Healey - Lleyton Hewitt - Jamie Murray - Olivier Rochus - James Blake - Vince Spadea - Tim Henman - John Isner - Travis Parrott - Paul Goldstein - Tim Henman - Wes Moodie - Arnaud Clement - Michael Russell - Jeff Coetzee

Surbiton Trophy Challenger 1998-2008

Jim Thomas Official Site

Jeff Coetzee Official Site
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #38
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

he beat Haas winning his 4th third-set TB in a row. Pretty freaking unbelievable stuff

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #39
country flag SHB

SHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond reputeSHB has a reputation beyond repute

Holy . . .

What a run. This guy is moving up the rankings at light speed.
SHB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #40
country flag Grinder

Grinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond reputeGrinder has a reputation beyond repute

Keep riding the wave Johnny.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #41
country flag Chaos Inc.

Great win John. Surprising to say the least. Safin or Monfils in

the next round. Good luck and stay on a roll.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 PM   #42
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

He is my hero
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #43
country flag jeahhh!
Madness is genius

Location: Back with the sisterhood, joining forces for the AO
jeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond reputejeahhh! has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome
jeahhh! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #44
country flag cobalt60
Pacific Northwest Home

cobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond reputecobalt60 has a reputation beyond repute

Any guesses about a wild card into Cinci? I'd like to see him play if possible.
cobalt60 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #45
country flag Voo de Mar

Voo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond reputeVoo de Mar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Any guesses about a wild card into Cinci? I'd like to see him play if possible.
He is amazing. I'm sure he gets WC in Cinci & US Open
Match points
Tie-breaks
Aces

Chiquita bananas ECC Antwerp
Voo de Mar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote