PHM Chat Archives #5 - Page 325 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #4861
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: " Sunday, 1 December, 2002 "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ome View Post
Anyway, I can say something more useful after I know the whole thing...
I have no problem with Paulo's interview in Lyon either (the translation is in the video thread). He made clear he's not a big fan of Gilles, but that's fine for me. Some players have been more offending about Gilles imo, Paulo wasn't offending.

You gave the history, the press conference in Lyon and then during Bercy, Paulo sounded a bit annoyed in L'Equipe indeed, said enough with the Musketeers talk just because Gilles Simon has been doing well for 2 weeks, maybe next week he won't be the French number 1 already (which was true!).

(As for me, I thought the "2 weeks" were not necessary because Gilles hasn't been doing well for 2 weeks only, and Paulo knows it, so it did sound a bit bitter, but I can see why he was annoyed, even I found the whole talk about the new Musketeers annoying - and I agreed about the number 1 thing, I kept saying that in Gilles' forum too. )

That was the context of the question. Now THE video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7b...es-simon_sport

Last edited by Truc : 11-28-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Truc is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #4862
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maria

I think Paulo's learned his lesson The wake up call was when he was left coachless last year

My friends at school call Gilles, the Fed Killer Machine now

The airway said they'll call in an hour or so. There's another airport about 3-hour drive from Bangkok where they can use As for now, I might have to drive 800 km back to Bangkok tomorrow morning

And what happened in India was just
Oh yeah, sad indeed. At least in Bangkok it's more peaceful.
Best of luck with your trip home.
That would be a loooong and tiring ride. You'd get a rental car then?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #4863
country flag Truc

Truc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond reputeTruc has a reputation beyond repute

The transcription of the video:

It's in the middle of the interview, when he's asked about the Davis Cup. The journalist asks him if they have made a pact with the 3 others (Jo, Gaël and Richard) to play in DC together. Or is it just media talk? And where is PHM in all this? ("Vous avez fait un pacte tous les quatre? Ou bien c'est juste un effet médiatique? Et où se situe PHM par rapport à tout ca?")

So the first part of his answer is about his relationship with the Jo, Gaël and Richard, the fact that they've had their breakthrough pretty much at the same time with Jo and Gaël, etc.
He thinks the media have been talking about it because this team could appeal to the people ("Je pense que c'est une équipe qui plairait, c'est pour ça qu'on en a parlé").
Now, they never speak about it. It would be conceited from them to do so. They're not the ones who make the team. That's the job of the captain.

And then the part about Paulo. Here's the French version - I just removed the "c'est vrai que", etc. but that's what he says:
"Pour le cas de Paulo, je pense qu'on a senti que pour lui c'était un petit peu difficile. Il n'a pas eu que des mots très doux à notre égard. Je pense que..."
"Tu lui pardonnes? Tu comprends?"
"Je le comprends tout à fait parce que je pense que lui est arrivé il y a bien longtemps. Il est entre 2 générations, en fait. On l'assimile très vite à la génération d'avant parce qu'il a joué avec eux. Et c'est vrai qu'en ce moment, je pense que c'est juste le fait qu'il ait été un peu oublié, on n'a pas tellement parlé de lui. Quand on parle des 4 Mousquetaires, justement, il est 5e, il est juste derrière, il doit donc se sentir un petit peu exclu. Je pense que ce qui s'est passé autour de nous ne lui a pas forcément fait beaucoup de bien. Donc voilà, il l'a peut-être mal vécu, il l'a peut-être mal pris. Maintenant, bien sûr, il faut qu'il fasse aussi attention, quand même, à ce qu'il dit."
Something like:
"(...) As for Paulo, one could feel it's been a bit tough for him. He hasn't had only kind words about us.
- You forgive him? You understand him?
- I totally understand him because I think he's been there for a long time already and he's caught a little bit between 2 generations. He's put into the older generation very easily because he has played with them. And it's true that right now, he's a bit forgotten, people haven't talked a lot about him. When people talk about the 4 Musketeers, he's #5, just behind, so he must feel a bit excluded. I think that what happened around us hasn't been very good for him. Maybe he had a hard time of it, he took it badly. Now, of course, he should also watch what he's saying (and he smiles when he says the last sentence, it's around 6'40)."

Last edited by Truc : 11-28-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #4864
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV View Post
Oh yeah, sad indeed. At least in Bangkok it's more peaceful.
Best of luck with your trip home.
That would be a loooong and tiring ride. You'd get a rental car then?
I hope it'll stay peaceful. I've been a bit afraid sicne the PM declared the state of emergencies

Thanks
I'm taking one of my parents' cars And I'm begging them to come with me so I don't have to get back alone
Old 11-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #4865
country flag MariaV

MariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond reputeMariaV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope it'll stay peaceful. I've been a bit afraid sicne the PM declared the state of emergencies

Thanks
I'm taking one of my parents' car And I'm begging them to come with me so I don't have to get back alone
I hope so too.
Oh, so you're vacationing at one of your parent's place? Good.
Would be scary to drive alone, yeah.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #4866
country flag Truc

And a last comment: it's an interview for a little French tennis website, not for a TV channel or a big newspaper like L'Equipe, it's a bit different too. It's not like this has been all over the media, only diehard tennis fans will read welovetennis.fr and watch the video.
I'm a bit annoyed by Benneteau who made borderline statements about Gilles in "Stade 2", for example. Because that's a big TV show and tons of people who don't know much about tennis will have seen it. So I really thought he should shut up when I saw him.

Voilà, you know everything!

Last edited by Truc : 11-28-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #4867
country flag Ome

Ome has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond reputeOme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hope so too.
Oh, so you're vacationing at one of your parent's place? Good.
Would be scary to drive alone, yeah.
Yep, I'm at my parents' place right now
Scary and boring
Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #4868
country flag MariaV

Anyway, have a safe trip Jai!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #4869
country flag Ome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truc View Post

Voilà, you know everything!
Merci Fran!

OK. It's a reasonable reaction from Gilles. That's all I have to say! I can not see why anyone can be upset. Including you, Paulo

Paulo has been upset with the media since he got left out from L'Equipe ranking report And I always have that feeling like Gilles said, that he gets caught between two generations.

And it really is difficult to categorize him into a particular group. (My friends always say he's forgettable! ) Paulo is not as animated in terms of personality (like Gael, Jo or even Gilles). He's not the greatest GS hope like Richard. I think it's because he had it tough when he was in the US. (Every time I imagine him having had to play golf all alone during those years was just painful. ) And of course, the DC experience + all the setbacks... what I'm trying to say is that they built him up to this point where he seems to be caught in the middle.

It was tough for Paulo this year for many reasons. So when he was asked about Gilles, I'm sure he was just pissed. And the fact that they aren't the best of friends make things sound a bit bitter. Paulo didn't have any intention to hurt Gilles, I truly believe that. It came out wrong because of the timing and Paulo's state of mind. I am glad Gilles makes some kind of statement. I think it's good for Paulo (and others.) He needs to know that what he said has an effect on other. It's a simple: Do onto others as you would wish them do onto you. Or if you don't have anything nice to say...

Last edited by Ome : 11-28-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Ome is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #4870
country flag Ome

Quote:
Anyway, have a safe trip Jai!
Thanks, hun
Old 11-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #4871
country flag Truc

That's exactly how I see it too, Ome.
Gilles won't act as if he hadn't noticed anything, it's not his style and the journalist himself mentions a few times the recent statements in the interview, so he answers. But he smiles at the end of the part about Paulo, I don't think he says that in a mean way at all.
As for Paulo, he obviously was a bit pissed, but everybody can see why the questions were annoying for him. He has reasons to be bitter. He sees all this New Musketeers talk, while his own best ranking ever at the beginning of the year had not made a big impact at all in the media. Etc.

I really think and hope everybody will get over it coming back from the winter break well-rested because the statements were not a big deal at all imo. They're not best friends, but they both know each other well and there was nothing shocking in their respective reactions.

Enjoy your last day of vacation - without cheering for Paulo in the French Interclubs, unfortunately!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #4872
country flag Ome

Quote:
That's exactly how I see it too, Ome.
Gilles won't act as if he hadn't noticed anything, it's not his style and the journalist himself mentions a few times the recent statements in the interview, so he answers. But he smiles at the end of the part about Paulo, I don't think he says that in a mean way at all.
As for Paulo, he obviously was a bit pissed, but everybody can see why the questions were annoying for him. He has reasons to be bitter. He sees all this New Musketeers talk, while his own best ranking ever at the beginning of the year had not made a big impact at all in the media. Etc.

I really think and hope everybody will get over it coming back from the winter break well-rested because the statements were not a big deal at all imo. They're not best friends, but they both know each other well and there was nothing shocking in their respective reactions.

Enjoy your last day of vacation - without cheering for Paulo in the French Interclubs, unfortunately!
Same here I want a good atmosphere among the Frenchies. It has always been pleasant supporting these folks... and I don't ever want it to change.

Thanks! And that's OK. I'm all for Nico D
Old 11-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #4873
country flag Ome

I have this blog entry in my bookmark: http://www.gototennisblog.com/2008/0...eu-moment.html

I think I posted it here before. But anyway, it's an off-season and this is one great thing to wrap up 2008 to me.

The writer and I have quite a similar thought here! (Except for the Gasquet part, of course ) Perfect entry! I couldn't have said it better myself! And it is a compliment!
Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #4874
country flag Puschkin

Puschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond reputePuschkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The writer and I have quite a similar thought here! (Except for the Gasquet part, of course )
walking on safer ground right now?

Quote:
only diehard tennis fans will read welovetennis.fr
I am a die-hard tennis fan, but this site is just

~♠ Gasquetaires ♠~

un pour tous, tous pour un
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Puschkin is offline View My Blog!  
Old 11-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #4875
country flag Ome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puschkin View Post
walking on safer ground right now?

I am a die-hard tennis fan, but this site is just
Yes But someone already bad rep me

I haven't read anything other than that. The Paulo entry came up from the search engine