Andy the "Hero" - Page 8 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-04-2004, 03:00 PM   #106
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy the "Hero"

That LA Times article is whacked.

I don't think his rackets melted
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 03:14 PM   #107
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

yea I saw that little thing on Extra... too bad we missed the Today Weekend interview. But I'm sure it was the S.O.S.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:24 PM   #108
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

his report finally posted at AR.com

Andy Recounts the Tragedy in Rome.
by:

5/5/2004 --

As many of you know, based on several articles posted to the site, Andy spoke to his Mom, Blanche, during the fire incident to help guide him through. The other person who Andy called from the terrace was Ken Meyerson, his agent as he wanted him to know what was going on and that he was ok.

Shortly after the madness ended, Andy spoke with his publicist and sister-in-law, Ginger. Ginger had this conversation recorded so that Andy would have to only go through this once.

Therefore, please find below Andy's recount of his experience early Saturday morning in Rome. Please keep in mind that three people passed away in this tragedy, and while Andy's actions were heroic, lives were lost, and therefore, it is a sensitive issue.

GR: Talk me through this

AR - I woke up to go to the bathroom and notice the smell of smoke. At first it smelled like electrical. I thought at first something was wrong with a converter. As I got closer to bathroom and door I could really smell smoke and when I put my hand on the door it was warm. I open the door and a black cloud of smoke billowed into my room, so I quickly shut the door.

GR: What were you thinking?

AR - Ok lets figure this thing out.

GR: You were calm?

AR- I kept my head. And knew to not start panicking.

GR: Right.

AR - I went out, I had a big wrap around porch on the 6th floor and there were people on the roof of the 7th floor. 7th floor was completely under smoke - that was were two people died of smoke inhalation. I was like ok, you guys should probably get down to this porch area, the smokes going to be bad but you guys have no where to go there. So, they were jumping and I was literally catching them, like six or seven people.

GR: Did they speak English or were they Italian.

AR - They were American tourists. One of them was Sjeng Schalken and his wife. If those people had stayed they probably would have suffered from smoke inhalation.

GR: So how long were you on your balcony?

AR - 45min to an 1hour?

GR: How long was it before you saw rescue trucks?

AR - We saw the trucks but the ladders were not coming near us.

GR : Were Brad and Doug or Grant with you.

AR- No, Brad and Doug were on another floor.

GR : So they were out and did they know where you were?

AR - No they didn't know where I was.

GR: So you were by yourself?

AR - Until Sjeng Schalken and his wife the 4 older Americans and 1 Italian dude. And I caught all of them. It was probably like a ten-foot drop from the 7th floor to the 6th floor.

GR: Right

AR - And they just like jump off and I caught all of them

GR: Was your adrenaline going?

AR - They were like 140-160 pound women and I was catching them like they were a basketball.

GR: Are you hurt?

AR- On my wrist I have some scratches and my back is stiff, I guess from catching people. I didn't have shoes on during the whole thing so my feet are cut up.

GR: It's so surreal on this end.

AR - I'm ok. I think I'm still in shock. Right now, I am trying to focus on preparing for my match, although at a time like this tennis feels trivial. Last nights tragedy seems surreal. My heart goes out to the families of the deceased. We were very fortunate that none of players or families were harmed.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #109
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. So maybe the fire DID affect him much more than he let on?

Thanks for posting that bunk.

From Hero to Zero. Poor Andy.
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:30 PM   #110
country flag Deboogle!.

It might've... this interview was done just a few hours after the whole thing so it's hard to say where Andy's head was a few days after that.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:42 AM   #111
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine_dream
From Hero to Zero.

Wanna bet that Sampras wouldn't have gotten all involved like that?
Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 AM   #112
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bet against Hairy Chest.

Thanks for the ar.com piece.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:10 AM   #113
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

The Hairy Chest is a fire hazard itself.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #114
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

ohmygod.... I mean he probably travels with a tiny fire extinguisher for emergencies!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:17 AM   #115
country flag andyroxmysox12191

andyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond repute

can i say how much i love you guys (Q a little bit more obviously )? coming here just makes me day so much better than it is
Old 05-06-2004, 01:18 AM   #116
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

awwwwwww

That was SO sweet.

You brighten my day too, roxita.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:28 AM   #117
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 05-06-2004, 01:30 AM   #118
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

(platonic)
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:31 AM   #119
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

Don't be disappointing Mani now.

George H.W. Bush, 1988

George W. Bush, 2000

Old 05-06-2004, 01:35 AM   #120
country flag andyroxmysox12191

andyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond reputeandyroxmysox12191 has a reputation beyond repute

aaww. i love you guys for everyone and a for you Q