Andy the "Hero" - Page 6 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #76
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy the "Hero"

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 08:09 PM   #77
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

It was early in the morning for me at that time and I was still sleeping in the dorms. My friend woke me and my other buddy up and said something like "we're being attacked". Took us awhile to get our bearings and realized it was the Twin Towers. I remember a few of us were going nuts and and saying things like how we didn't want to get drafted and go to war, etc. We all jumped out of bed and huddled over at a friend's computer and he went on CNN.com and we found out more of what was going on. We then all ran down several flights of stairs and into the lounge. The TV was on and already several people were there watching the horrific scences on all the news channels. I can remember us all dead quiet and just staring at those scenes.

Many classes were cancelled. I was lingering around campus and got a phone call from my parents a little later. They asked me if I knew what's up and I told them of course. They were a bit worried and warned that if terrorists went after the WTC, that they'd probably go after other big-name cities/hubs/landmarks significant of the U.S. The Golden Gate bridge is just across the bay here...San Francisco as well. Silicon Valley is at South Bay Area. Luckily nothing happened over here.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )

Last edited by 1jackson2001 : 05-02-2004 at 10:47 PM.
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #78
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

I was getting ready for work listening to NPR and they said something about a plane hitting the WTC. A very hazy report. I had the impression it was a small plane, but I turned on the TV to see if there was film. It had just happened. People were trying to understand it. I saw the pictures but I couldn't really understand the scale of it.

And as I was watching a airline jet appeared on the screen, and I thought for one confused second that some pilot had flown outside of the regular path to see the tower burning... it was just like What is that plane doing there? and then it disappeared and the huge fireball burst out. Then I understood.

I got on line with some people from Britian. There they were showing pictures of people jumping. I didn't see anything like that.

And when the buildings started to collapse, it was also hard to understand what was happening at first. One of the newscasters saw something fall off the side of the building. They rewound it and showed it. It must have been huge... and then the stories of the building started to compact. It wasn't clear when the first stories went what was happening. And then........ I knew that everyone inside was dead. All the firefighters. Everyone who hadn't gotten out.

I thought the death toll would be much higher. I hadn't counted on everyone leaving the way they did.

Even now when I see those pictures, it doesn't look the way that I remember it. Nothing will be like seeing it begin to happen and not understanding it... and then the enormity of what was happening sinking in.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:43 PM   #79
country flag misyou25

misyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond reputemisyou25 has a reputation beyond repute

we are all impressed, andy:-)
misyou25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #80
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

star.. that must have been awful
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #81
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for sharing your accounts, jackson and star. I literally got chills reading them.

One thing I remember about that day is how incredibly beautiful the weather was. I walked out of my door and the sky was crystalline blue and it was warm and sunny. And that's when I noticed that very strange dark cloud in the sky. then I started hearing an unusual number of sirens.

(sorry to revisit that, it's not much fun...)
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:10 PM   #82
country flag Deboogle!.

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

I had gotten up early for my Tuesday 9:25 class and the first thing I always do when I wake up is go to my computer. before I even pee lol. so when I got on there was an AIM from my mom saying "turn on your tv when you wake up" - she was still signed on when I woke up so I was like "What channel?" - I had no clue, y'know? She just said "any channel it doesn't matter" - I was just sort of half-asleep, dazed, and confused.... then I turned on the tv and of course, saw it... but it was sort of a very "whoa what is going on" type thing.

Q and tangy and everyone who really had to go through it Have you guys experienced any health problems from it? I can't imagine what it must be like to have had to breathe that stuff for so long every day

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Old 05-03-2004, 01:32 AM   #83
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ
thanks for sharing your accounts, jackson and star. I literally got chills reading them.

One thing I remember about that day is how incredibly beautiful the weather was. I walked out of my door and the sky was crystalline blue and it was warm and sunny. And that's when I noticed that very strange dark cloud in the sky. then I started hearing an unusual number of sirens.

(sorry to revisit that, it's not much fun...)
Yes. I remember that too. The sky was so very very blue.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #84
country flag J. Corwin
psychotic banana

J. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond reputeJ. Corwin has a reputation beyond repute

It was very blue here too.

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #85
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

With Andy it's all about Pizza

Ice-cool nerves and promise of pizza help Roddick save guests from fire
By Peter Popham in Rome

03 May 2004

He has been hailed as the next great of world tennis, but Andy Roddick knew he would have a fight on his hands. The Italian Open is on clay. Roddick hates clay. The American knew it would be a challenge.

What he didn't know was that the challenge was going to begin more than 24 hours before the first ball crossed the net. And it wasn't going to be tennis: this was about life and death.

Parco dei Principi is one of the snazzier places to stay in Rome, a brief taxi ride to Via del Veneto or the Colosseum, an easy saunter to the umbrella pines of the Villa Borgese, the city's best park. For a player with 13 international titles under his belt and seeded No 2 in the Italian event, the hotel's sixth-floor Royal Suite must have seemed the best billet.

Other tennis players in the event staying at the hotel included the former world No 1 Marat Safin of Russia, Max Mirnyi of Belarus and Sjeng Schalken of the Netherlands.

At 5.15am on Saturday, Roddick, who dates the American pop star Mandy Moore, was prised from sleep with the stench of acrid smoke. He jumped out of bed, strode to the door and flung it open. He was hit by a wall of black smoke.

There were a dozen people on the landing, coughing, choking, screaming and moaning. Roddick hauled them into his suite, then chivvied them through the rooms and out on to his broad balcony. They were safe from the immediate danger of suffocation. But they were still six floors up, and the fire which had started in the room of two Americans, room 305, was growing and getting hotter. The heat was so intense that it blew out all the windows on the third floor.

On the floor below Roddick, an American guest tied his sheets together and tried to inch his way down to the ground and safety * but lost his grip and tumbled to his death. Two Canadians on the same floor huddled in their windowless bathroom. They were later found there, dead from asphyxiation.

With no help in sight and his balcony crammed with fuddled, desperate guests, Roddick called his mother in Florida.

Speaking from her home in Boca Raton, Blanche Roddick later told The Palm Beach Post that what struck her was how calm her son was. Roddick explained how more guests were leaping to his balcony from the floors above, adding to the dense, panicked mêlée. One of the men who jumped was the 6ft 4in Dutch player Schalken. He landed in Roddick's arms.

Making her voice as calm as possible, the star's mother told him to soak towels in water and use them to seal the doors. "Mom," Roddick told her, "it's way beyond that."

He was still talking on the telephone when the fire engines arrived. "I have my head about me. It's amazing how calm I am," Roddick told his mother. The fire engine's ladder began to rise. "Hey," Roddick called out. "You guys with the ladder. If you come here I'll buy you pizza."

All of Roddick's impromptu guests reached safety without further incident, and were among the 350 hotel guests who were evacuated.

The cause of the blaze has yet to be established. The cause of Roddick's rise to the top in tennis, on the other hand, is clear to see: old-fashioned sangfroid.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #86
country flag tangerine_dream
Last dance, Andy

tangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond reputetangerine_dream has a reputation beyond repute

Hm, this story seems to have taken on a life of its own. It's now been picked up by the British gossip rags. You know you're a 'name' in the UK if you manage to knock the one and only David "I changed my hairdo, news at 11" Beckham off the headlines even for a short while.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri...3/andyroddick/

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004201652,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../quizquest.xml
see question No. 5
"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."

Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #87
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

Cant see the last article Tangy.. would u mind posting it here please?
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #88
country flag Deboogle!.

lol yea I saw those tabloid things. I was

Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #89
country flag Fumus

Fumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond reputeFumus has a reputation beyond repute

Man, when I heard about that I thought about how upset I would be if Roddick got injured and couldn't play anymore or even sumtin worse.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 07:48 PM   #90
country flag Deboogle!.

from tennislife.com
-----
2004 Italian Open News
Early Excitement
Eleanor Preston | May 3 , 2004

Matters of life and death are often equated, erroneously, with professional sport but every now and again something happens which brings reality crashing into a world of forehands and backhands.

At 5am on Saturday morning, reality intruded on the world of tennis in a terrifying and tragic way. Three people died in the fire at the Grand Hotel Parco dei Principi, the players' hotel in Rome, none of them involved in the tournament, and it was only by immense good fortune that the world of tennis was mourning far more than just a few burned racket bags.

"At least it was Friday night, so not many of the main draw players were here. If had been Sunday night, the hotel would have been packed," said Britain's Tim Henman, who was thanking his lucky stars he had chosen to put himself, his wife, and 18-month-old daughter up elsewhere. "We were all very lucky."

In such circumstances, heroes emerge from unexpected quarters. Andy Roddick's achievements on a tennis court have long been a source of pride to those around him but his actions on that morning would have made them far more proud than anything he did with a tennis racket.

Having been awoken by smoke, Roddick ran onto the balcony of his sixth floor suite and helped seven people trapped on the floor above him - including fellow player Sjeng Schalken and his wife Ricky - climb down to safety.

"I definitely helped people but I saw some stuff where it was like I was in there with the firefighters and that's definitely a little exaggerated," said Roddick, with a degree of modesty he is not always given credit for. "I definitely tried to help out a little bit but the fire guys were the real heroes, they were the ones who got us out of there and got us home safe."

Thirty players were staying at the hotel and many had harrowing stories to tell. Several of the players, mostly those who had flown in the night before from the US, had taken sleeping pills to combat jet-lag and, given that most agree that the fire alarms didn't sound, they have coaches and friends to thank for waking them.

Robby Ginepri took a sleeping pill and was woken by his coach John Thompson, who had been alerted by the commotion in the corridor.
"People were all yelling in the hallway 'fire, fire', said Ginepri. "I thought it was kids doing a prank at the beginning but they kept on yelling. We went outside and there was a ton of smoke in the corridor and you couldn't even see more than five feet ahead of you. Everyone was running frantically, trying to find the exit.

"When we got outside we saw flames coming from three different sides of the building and the windows were shattering, with glass everywhere. It was pretty real then. I have never been through anything like that. It was a very scary thing to have happen to you."

Ginepri's first thought when he got outside was to find his friends and fellow players, and he was alarmed when he couldn't find Roddick. "We were looking for Andy but he couldn't get out. He was one of the last to come down," said Ginepri.

"At the time it wasn't that scary because there was a lot of stuff going so my mind was kind of occupied," said Roddick, "but when I went through the ash and rubble at the end to get my stuff out of there, that's when it hit home a little bit more."

Italian No.1 Filippo Volandri, who had to be lifted to safety by firemen on a cherry picker, said he looked over his balcony and saw flames shooting up at him but said that most of the players involved remained calm.

"Maybe we are used to being in psychologically tense situations," he told Italian journalists. "There were lots of people outside crying a lot but all the players were very quiet."

Roddick certainly kept his wits about him when he needed it the most and while he was keen to play down his admirable behavior, Schalken in particular will not forget his selflessness in a hurry.

It will be business as usual today in Rome though, when Roddick must turn his attention to playing Guillermo Canas in the first round of the Italia Telecom Masters. Marat Safin, who arrived onsite at the tournament on Saturday morning wrapped only in a towel after losing rackets and other belongings in the blaze, plays Stefano Pescosolido. Wimbledon champion Roger Federer meets Jonas Bjorkman in what will be a tough match for both.

In Monday's action, Tim Henman ended his Rome hex by beating Florian Mayer 7-5 6-1 in the first round. Last year Henman lost in the first round after catching an ear infection from the earplugs he wore to help him sleep through his baby daughter's crying. The year before he had a stomach bug and succumbed just as quickly. He would argue that he was due a change of luck.

Carlos Moya moved quickly through to round two as did Vince Spadea, who scored an upset win over Monte Carlo finalist Rainer Schuettler.

None of it was a matter of life and death, but after last weekend’s events that was something to be thankful for.