Andy the "Hero" - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 PM   #46
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andy the "Hero"

Other papers are picking up this story. It must have been put on a news service without a byline. Here is one from News.com.au. I think this is a Murdoch owned concern. It doesn't quite jibe with other reports, but here it is:

AMERICAN Andy Roddick, 21, one of the world's top tennis players, was given new heroic status yesterday when he helped fellow guests survive a fatal fire in a five-star hotel in Rome.

Three died in the fire in the top floors of the Parco dei Principi, close to the Borghese gardens in central Rome in the early hours of Saturday.

Two young American women described as having been "tipsy" were being questioned by police after it was found by firefighters the blaze probably started in a wastepaper basket in their room.

Roddick was high above them in a huge suite with a large balcony. The blaze forced one guest nearby to try to shimmy down the walls on a bedsheet. He slipped and died.

Roddick's US Davis Cup teammate Robby Ginepri told reporters: "We didn't find Andy for a while because he couldn't get out. He was on the sixth floor, so he stayed on the balcony of his room.

"Some people were on the seventh floor, and he helped them come down because the ladder on the firetruck didn't reach that far. His balcony was enormous, so he let people come in there."

Roddick is believed to have helped to usher guests to fire escapes. Marat Safin, the Russian star, was trapped for a time in a corridor with his girlfriend but escaped. The Dutch No.1 Sjeng Schalken climbed down from the sixth to the fifth floor before being plucked off by a fire ladder, which had been too short to reach Roddick's balcony.

No Australian players were involved.
star is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #47
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

star has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond reputestar has a reputation beyond repute

Must have been quite a scene

Tennis stars evacuated as fire kills three

May 02 2004 at 10:54AM

By Rachel Sanderson

Rome - A fire swept through a luxury Rome hotel on Saturday, killing a Canadian couple and an American, and forcing US Open champion Andy Roddick and other tennis stars to flee, police and tennis tour officials said.

Roddick helped firefighters evacuate guests from the roof of the Hotel Parco dei Principi ai Parioli, where several US tour groups and tennis players were staying ahead of the Rome Open Tennis Masters next week.

"There was a lot of panic. The fire destroyed the whole of the third floor. The fourth and fifth floors are severely smoke damaged," police official Luigi Rossi said.

'There was a lot of panic'
The Canadian couple, Paul Emile Busque, 64, and his wife Bernice Marie Busque, 61, from Lac Frontiere, died of smoke inhalation after they barricaded themselves in their en-suite bathroom to escape the flames, Rossi said.

James Lowry, 58, from Georgia, plunged to his death from a balcony as he tried to escape using tied-together pillowcases. His wife had made it safely to the ground.

Rossi said the fire had been extinguished and investigators were looking at whether a discarded cigarette or technical fault could be to blame.

Dozens of bedsheets and pillowcases flapped from blackened windows hours after the fire, the ferocity of which blew out windows on the third floor.

"I woke up at about 5 o'clock and smelt smoke and they determined there was a fire and we got out," said a hotel guest, Dudley Moorehead, from the United States.

"A lot of people tried to lower themselves out of windows. We tried to get them to stay inside because the fire department was here but a lot of people couldn't tell," he said.

At least five people suffered from smoke inhalation in the fire that started at around 5am (03h00 GMT) in a room on the third floor and sent some 200 screaming and sobbing guests into the streets below.

Among the evacuated guests were several tennis players in town for the Rome Open Tennis Masters next week, including Roddick, Argentinian Mariano Zabaleta and Chilean Nicolas Massu.

An ATP spokesperson said around 30 players were staying at the five-star hotel. None were hurt in the blaze. The guests have been evacuated to other hotels around the city.

(Additional reporting by Antonio Denti and Max Rossi)
Old 05-02-2004, 03:08 PM   #48
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

but the fire ladder finally reached Andy's balcony or what?
Carito_90 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #49
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carito_90
yeah deb, but how on earth can you catch someone who's one floor above you while takin on the cell phone?

now THAT's being a hero

Deb, he's either calm, cool, and collected, or he wants his mommy. I don't see how it can be both.

It sounds as if he was reporting everything to her as it happened. And my gosh, what time was it in Boca? Is it a 6 hour difference between Italy and the East Coast?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:15 PM   #50
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:
but the fire ladder finally reached Andy's balcony or what?
I got the impression that the fire ladder did not reach the balcony, but one floor down. Sjeng said that his wife, Ricky, went down on the ladder, but that he did not. What I think happened is that conditions improved and the firefighters (plus Andy, of course ) got the people to the fire exits on the 6th floor where he was staying.

I'm assuming that the floors are numbered European style with what we call the 2nd story called the 1st. Tommy says the fire was on the fourth floor and everyone else says the third floor..... that's why I am assuming.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #51
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Sure it can. You can have your head about you but still want to be comforted by a familiar voice, just someone to reassure you as you try to do the right thing. I've certainly been in that situation before! Plus it didn't say he was talking the *whole* time, I think Karen exaggerated some of the story, don't you? LOL

If it's a 6 hour difference between Italy and Eastern time, then it was like 11pm-midnight... that's not too bad.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #52
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Nah! I'd rather think that he called his mom so that if she heard anything she wouldn't be worried than to think that he needed her reassurance to get through it. Man, he's 22 years old and earning his own living. I think he can handle a crisis without his mommy.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #53
country flag Carito_90

Carito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond reputeCarito_90 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Deb, he's either calm, cool, and collected, or he wants his mommy. I don't see how it can be both.
exactly lol

Quote:
Sure it can. You can have your head about you but still want to be comforted by a familiar voice, just someone to reassure you as you try to do the right thing. I've certainly been in that situation before! Plus it didn't say he was talking the *whole* time, I think Karen exaggerated some of the story, don't you? LOL
yeah but he cant catch someone while talkin on the cell phone
Old 05-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #54
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Quote:

yeah but he cant catch someone while talkin on the cell phone
Hey, Carito!! He's a world class athlete! Don't underestimate him.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #55
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

maybe he had his cellphone headset on.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #56
country flag star
Blown Out On the Trail

Leave it to Mister Q to figure it out.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #57
country flag Carito_90

ok

Quote:
Hey, Carito!! He's a world class athlete! Don't underestimate him.
rightt, i forgot about that
Old 05-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #58
country flag Deboogle!.
Vamos Mandy :)

Deboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond reputeDeboogle!. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by star
Nah! I'd rather think that he called his mom so that if she heard anything she wouldn't be worried than to think that he needed her reassurance to get through it. Man, he's 22 years old and earning his own living. I think he can handle a crisis without his mommy.
Maybe.... but in that case he could certainly have been calm and still talking to her lol. Maybe she wanted to stay on the phone with him because it comforted HER. I'm almost 22 as well and basically on my own and I would absolutely still want my mommy in a crisis, even though I'd most likely know what to do on my own. Andy's a mama's boy through-and-through, he just puts on a tough exterior on the court

But anyway, any article that uses phrases like "dropped like an albatross" - I'm not so sure I can take what it says 100% seriously anyway so I guess that's why I didn't read too much into the little details it described.

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #59
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

On Sept. 11 the first thing I thought was to call my mom so she wouldn't freak out when she saw it on TV. (turns out the phone lines were completely jammed so it took hours to get through, but that's another story)...

So perhaps Roddick's response was similar...
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #60
country flag Carito_90

were you near the twin towers then?