Federer's ranking discussion - Page 59 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #871
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackykid View Post
to me... the "doom and gloom" is not about his #1 ranking... but about his inability to win matches (that he should have won with ease) and major tournaments!! doesn't matter the #1... the #1 position is the outcome... but the main issue is his form now.... if he regains back his midas touch... the #1 will come naturally...
My post was merely in reply to PamV.
I fully agree with your post.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #872
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
Federer is still number 1 but this is the smallest gap I remember them being in. It's probably the best chance Nadal has ever had in reaching #1 spot without even having to win the event and regardless of Federer's performance.
This is the first time since Federer became #1 that he doesn't control his own destiny as far as the #1 ranking goes i.e. doesn't matter what he does.

The last time it was really this much in jeopardy was at the 2004 Wimbledon tournament. I think a QF loss by Fed and tournament win by Roddick would've given Roddick #1.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #873
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Baghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond repute

Also it is quite obvious that the aura of invincibility he had is somehow gone and the opponents now have more belief that they can beat him which makes it even harder for him. Today even Ginepri almost beat him as he served for the match at 6-5 in the 2nd set.

The Present - The Past
Baghdatis72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #874
country flag guinevere_79

guinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should all learn to accept the fact that the year-end number one ranking is basically a done deal. Rafa already has a 400 point lead on Roger in the race. The remaining required events award points for champions as follows:

3 remaining masters series events: 100 points each
US Open: 200 points
Masters Cup: 150 points (not sure)

So that’s a total of only 650 points. Basically, Roger would have to win everything, plus three other optional events (he only has two counted towards his ranking now), plus hope that Rafa does poorly the rest of the year for him to be the year-end number one.

The Olympics awards 80 race points, I think.
guinevere_79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #875
country flag guinevere_79

guinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond reputeguinevere_79 has a reputation beyond repute

Roger got a little lucky with the Olympics messing up the schedules, so he has a chance to hold on to his number one ranking for a couple of weeks longer than he should have. His fate (at least for this week) is in his hands. As long as he makes the semifinal, he will still be number one after this week, even if Rafa wins the tournament. The week after that, he still has a marginal chance of retaining number one, if he wins the Olympics.

Let’s look at the bright side, Roger will have plenty of opportunities to regain the top ranking early next year. Rafa won’t be number one for long, if Roger plays his best. He should just concentrate on salvaging this season (U.S. Open, year-end Masters Cup and a couple of masters series events) and start on a clean slate next year.
guinevere_79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #876
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinevere_79 View Post
Roger got a little lucky with the Olympics messing up the schedules, so he has a chance to hold on to his number one ranking for a couple of weeks longer than he should have. His fate (at least for this week) is in his hands. As long as he makes the semifinal, he will still be number one after this week, even if Rafa wins the tournament. The week after that, he still has a marginal chance of retaining number one, if he wins the Olympics.

Let’s look at the bright side, Roger will have plenty of opportunities to regain the top ranking early next year. Rafa won’t be number one for long, if Roger plays his best. He should just concentrate on salvaging this season (U.S. Open, year-end Masters Cup and a couple of masters series events) and start on a clean slate next year.
He will start off with a clean slate next year, but if Nadal winds up with a huge lead after this year, he will have #1 protected for quite a while next year unless somehow he doesn't win during the clay season which is about as unlikely as George Bush converting to Islam right now. If Federer has a strong end of the year, he can retake #1 early next year.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #877
country flag Or Levy

Or Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond reputeOr Levy has a reputation beyond repute

If Roger takes the USO, the Olympics and the TMC, I would care less about number 1.
Or Levy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #878
country flag Rogieva
You can never have enough

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. At the moment #1 is just a number. It's Grandslams and AMS I want, not a ranking
Old 07-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #879
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdaciRoger View Post
I agree. At the moment #1 is just a number. It's Grandslams and AMS I want, not a ranking
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #880
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Baghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond repute

#1 is just a number but it came with an aura of invincibility and loads of confidence for Federer with it. The aura of invincibility has faded a bit lately and with the number 1 spot lost it will probably be gone which will make it harder for Federer to dominate the way he used to.

Now he will need to focus more and he won't get any freebies from those who didn't believe they could beat him in the past, when he had the aura of invincibility. They have seen blood and they will play extra hard against him now to make the upset because they believe they can do it.

It's up to Federer to build up to his previous form and regain his aura and his level of play.

The Present - The Past
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #881
country flag Rogieva
You can never have enough

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute

Roger is no longer #1 now?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 AM   #882
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdaciRoger View Post
Roger is no longer #1 now?
After today's loss he loses his #1 spot on Monday the 4th of August only if Nadal wins the whole tournament.

The Present - The Past
Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #883
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After today's loss he loses his #1 spot on Monday the 4th of August only if Nadal wins the whole tournament.
True but regardless of how badly or well Nadal does in this tournament, Fed will be #2 for the USO since the Toronto and Cincy points will come off after the Olympics.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #884
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
True but regardless of how badly or well Nadal does in this tournament, Fed will be #2 for the USO since the Toronto and Cincy points will come off after the Olympics.
18th of August he loses 850 points.

The Present - The Past
Old 08-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #885
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And I gather that's exactly what willl happen...
Whatever, well deserved, Raf is indeed by far the BEST player out there this year. Credits to HIM that deserves it!

And good luck to Roger to finally find back his form somewhere around 2009... and for all the loveliness and greatness he's shown so far!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote