Federer's ranking discussion - Page 58 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #856
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Baghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papagena View Post
Now THAT would be one bolt of 'once in a lifetime'-luck indeed.
No, his #1 ranking is gone. No need for mourning, though. Rafa has fully deserved his spot, and I'm already looking forward for the ongoing battle for that #1 spot early 2009.
Federer is still number 1 but this is the smallest gap I remember them being in. It's probably the best chance Nadal has ever had in reaching #1 spot without even having to win the event and regardless of Federer's performance.

The Present - The Past
Baghdatis72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #857
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
Federer is still number 1 but this is the smallest gap I remember them being in. It's probably the best chance Nadal has ever had in reaching #1 spot without even having to win the event and regardless of Federer's performance.
Rafa was pretty close in February this year as well. Some 300 points difference, but he *f**ked up* at Rotterdam in the second round of that tourney, if I remember well.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #858
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

ALLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ROGER!!!

GOD Please Bless Roger play his Best tennis again!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #859
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Baghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond reputeBaghdatis72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quotes from ATP website:

Quote:
Battle For No. 1
If there is no change at the top of the South African Airways ATP Rankings in Cincinnati, a change could come August 18 - two weeks later - due to a calendar shift this season to accommodate the Olympics.
Last year, ATP Masters Series events in Canada and Cincinnati were played two weeks later in the season than they are being played this year. Because points earned by players count towards their rankings for 52 weeks, the 850 points Federer earned last year by reaching the Canada final and winning the Cincinnati title will continue to count towards his ranking during the same Masters Series tournaments this year.
Come August 18, those 850 points will no longer count towards Federer's ranking. In contrast, Nadal will drop 230 points (225 points for reaching the Rogers Cup semifinals in 2007 and five points for losing his first match in Cincinnati in 2007.)
Federer and Nadal have been No. 1 and 2 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings every week since July 25, 2005 when Nadal became No. 2. Federer has ranked a record 234 consecutive weeks at No. 1 (since Feb. 2, 2004) and Nadal for 157 straight weeks at No. 2.
Quote:
Nadal, who has ranked No. 2 for a record 157 weeks, will become the new No. 1 next Sunday if he wins the title at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati and Federer loses before the semifinals. After Federer’s second round loss to Gilles Simon earlier this week, Nadal has now cut the gap to a mere 300 points and is potentially just one week away from ending Federer’s 234 week reign (since February 2004) at the top spot (see below).
If Nadal gains 300 or more points than Federer in this year's Cinci then number 1 is his next week. If not then last year's points from Canada and Cinci MS will be deducted on August 18 giving a 620 point deficit to Federer compared to Nadal.

Seems like Federer's time at number 1 is almost over

The Present - The Past
Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #860
country flag juninhOH

juninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond repute

its over, the number 1 I mean.

Now Roger always said about Hewitt that he doesnt care about the ranks, that he only wants to win the tournaments. I hope Roger thinks the sameway, because he has had enough time at the top of the rank already.
juninhOH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #861
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdatis72 View Post
Maybe Federer gets lucky and Nadal loses to Youzhny or Ferrer before reaching the semis and he wins it to hold the number 1 spot.
why still optimistic?? i'll be more pragmatic to say that it won't happen... and nadal will gain no.1 spot after cincy... and even if roger managed to defend cincy... he will still lose no.1 spot after US open... i just think nadal will do better than last yr... and gain sufficient points to take over the top spot...

all i want federer to do is to start winning again... and find the motivation and urge to do so... i have already considered the no.1 spot gone... nadal is certainly the no.1 player right now despite the rankings...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #862
country flag Baghdatis72
2011 Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackykid View Post
why still optimistic?? i'll be more pragmatic to say that it won't happen... and nadal will gain no.1 spot after cincy... and even if roger managed to defend cincy... he will still lose no.1 spot after US open... i just think nadal will do better than last yr... and gain sufficient points to take over the top spot...

all i want federer to do is to start winning again... and find the motivation and urge to do so... i have already considered the no.1 spot gone... nadal is certainly the no.1 player right now despite the rankings...

regards,
wacky
Mathematically I think the number 1 spot is lost on August the 18th when last year's points from the 2 MS events will be deducted, unless Federer gets 320 points more than Nadal in Cincinnati to take the difference to greater than 620 from 300. Then the deduction will see him as number 1 still, otherwise he drops to number 2.

The Present - The Past
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #863
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that if Roger only focuses on GS tournaments he will have a tougher draw to contend with and he also needs to get match tough by getting far in some MS tournaments. He can't just show up at a GS after weeks off and expect to win.

For the most part Roger needs to try to stay in the top 4 in order to have the best draw possible, doesn't he?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #864
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamV View Post
The thing is that if Roger only focuses on GS tournaments he will have a tougher draw to contend with and he also needs to get match tough by getting far in some MS tournaments. He can't just show up at a GS after weeks off and expect to win.

For the most part Roger needs to try to stay in the top 4 in order to have the best draw possible, doesn't he?
Eh... why all this Doom & Gloom? Has to stay in the top 4-talk?
Jeebus, he's just going to lose his #1 ranking (after some 234 weeks, no less... what a miracle!), he'll will probably be #2 (which doesn't at all affect his seeding) for quite some time, AND he has plenty of chances of upping his level and thus his ranking again in 2009. The gap with the #3 is still so very big that I don't think we really have to worry, here.

Anathema

Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #865
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jeebus, he's just going to lose his #1 ranking (after some 234 weeks, no less... what a miracle!), he'll will probably be #2 (which doesn't at all affect his seeding) for quite some time, AND he has plenty of chances of upping his level and thus his ranking again in 2009. The gap with the #3 is still so very big that I don't think we really have to worry, here.
I know, totally agree dear. Like he's one of the most talented players still around. Yeah he's lost a step or two but it's not like he will be losing left and right. He just needs to refresh mentally and pick up his intensity and he'l be fine.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #866
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federerhingis View Post
I know, totally agree dear. Like he's one of the most talented players still around. Yeah he's lost a step or two but it's not like he will be losing left and right. He just needs to refresh mentally and pick up his intensity and he'l be fine.
Luis!

Yeah, it's not like he's all of a sudden on a greasy slope - despite that disappointing loss last week, just count the number of finals that he still managed to reach this year.

Anathema

Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 AM   #867
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Roger GOD Bless you play your good tennis again this week!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #868
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The gap with the #3 is still so very big that I don't think we really have to worry, here.
Federer and Djokovic are running neck-and-neck if you only count 2008 points. Federer will still have to do better than Djokovic for the rest of the year to end the year as #2.
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #869
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
Federer and Djokovic are running neck-and-neck if you only count 2008 points. Federer will still have to do better than Djokovic for the rest of the year to end the year as #2.
That's true, but I haven't seen a lot from Djoko lately, and I doubt it's going to change all that much. Roger at least still reaches finals usually, Djoko... well not so much the past few months, no?
Anyway, I am positive that Roger will at least stay #2.

Anathema

Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #870
country flag wackykid

wackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond reputewackykid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
to me... the "doom and gloom" is not about his #1 ranking... but about his inability to win matches (that he should have won with ease) and major tournaments!! doesn't matter the #1... the #1 position is the outcome... but the main issue is his form now.... if he regains back his midas touch... the #1 will come naturally...

regards,
wacky
wackykid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote