Federer's ranking discussion - Page 4 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #46
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal ranking points (First post always updated)

As long as nothing completely unexpected happens, then Roger has got the #1 spot secured at least until after the US Open.
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #47
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by that tennis guy View Post
225 with Nadal defending 55 points in Queens. He has to get to the semis if he hopes to gain more of a lead.

Hopefully Federer decides to play in Los Angeles this summer so I can watch him play but I'm not holding my breath.
Oh GOD................ 55 points
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #48
country flag Johnny Groove
Future ATP Star

Johnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Groove has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, just some quick info, Nadal is only playing Stuttgart over the summer between Wimbledon and Canada, he'll get 250 points for winning that, and would replace his 20 points from Stockholm last year
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
What do you like doing on MTF most?
Reading Johnny Groove threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires View Post
Johnny blurs the line between grandeur and grandiose
Johnny Groove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #49
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze-2004 View Post
Guys, just some quick info, Nadal is only playing Stuttgart over the summer between Wimbledon and Canada, he'll get 250 points for winning that, and would replace his 20 points from Stockholm last year
Thanks for the info Blaze!
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #50
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #51
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon57 View Post
I think keeping the #1 ranking will be difficult this year unless Nadal has another post Wimbledon slump, which I don't expect. Especially if Nadal does play one or two clay tournaments after Wimbledon. Nadal is getting closer, Federer can't afford to lose early in any of the TMS after Wimbledon
It's very sad that Roger lost so early from IW, Miami and Rome, and now to withdraw from Halle. When Nadal had his post Wimby 2006 slump that was after he'd already defended all his important titles and the clays season was over. Nadal was in no danger of losing his #2 spot with that slump.

Roger is having the adductor trouble going into his best tournament ... Wimbledon. This is not good. Let's hope Roger's confidence is not going to be low and that the draw is not going to give him some first or second round nightmare.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #52
country flag PamV

PamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond reputePamV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federers ranking points and the fight to remain at #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmonAussie View Post

However don`t forget that in 2005 Nadal won Canada-TMS also
>>>So he`s proven he can adapt to faster hard courts as well..
Besides he`s even won a TMS on fast indoor [Madrid 05]..
The field was weak at that Canada 2005 tournament. Roger was not entered there and Nadal played an old Agassi in the final.

That said, maybe Nadal has improved on H/C since then. He beat Roddick at IW. I've always heard that IW is one of the fastest H/C surfaces because of the air being so dry there.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #53
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamV View Post
The field was weak at that Canada 2005 tournament. Roger was not entered there and Nadal played an old Agassi in the final.

That said, maybe Nadal has improved on H/C since then. He beat Roddick at IW. I've always heard that IW is one of the fastest H/C surfaces because of the air being so dry there.
Actually IW is quite slow. The surface is receptive to his spin and the hot weather really makes the ball jump up. Nadal got to the semis in 2006 only to lose to Blake and we know how well he did on hardcourts that summer.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #54
country flag Foxy

Foxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond reputeFoxy has a reputation beyond repute

It is like that. AO is a little faster than IW. But IW is faster than Miami.
Foxy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #55
country flag PamV

Quote:
Actually IW is quite slow. The surface is receptive to his spin and the hot weather really makes the ball jump up. Nadal got to the semis in 2006 only to lose to Blake and we know how well he did on hardcourts that summer.
That's good to know, thanks. I've heard commentators say that even Wimbledon is a lot slower than it used to be. So are there any real fast courts left ?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #56
country flag Marek.

Marek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond reputeMarek. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamV View Post
That's good to know, thanks. I've heard commentators say that even Wimbledon is a lot slower than it used to be. So are there any real fast courts left ?
The US Open and US Open series hardcourts are fast except the commentators pointed out that the courts in Canada were slow. I think the indoor carpet courts are still fast but other than that most carts are medium, medium-slow. Wimbledon has become a lot slower in the past five years which is why so many people stay back. If the grass was faster and lower bouncing there is no way players with extreme grips could rally from the baseline.
Marek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #57
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

You guys shouldn't worry so much about the speed of the HC. Fed will always have problems on clay especially against Nadal. Nadal's game and foot work are tailor made for clay and he is simply better than Fed on that surface. Fed's footwork will be a lot better on HC and he will be able to defend his forehand side easily even on a slow surface.

After watching the FO final again, I can say with confidence that he will have less trouble with Nadal's heavy topspin to his backhand. He has definitely made that side a lot more stable. He doesn't have to go for a winner from that side. He just need to hit it deep consistently and he was able to do so during the FO final.
rofe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 AM   #58
country flag PamV

Quote:
Wimbledon has become a lot slower in the past five years which is why so many people stay back. If the grass was faster and lower bouncing there is no way players with extreme grips could rally from the baseline.
I think they slowed the Wimbledon courts because of complaints that matches were becoming servathons. However, don't they see they've gone too far in the opposite direction ... with S/V style all but disappearing.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 AM   #59
country flag PamV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
You guys shouldn't worry so much about the speed of the HC. Fed will always have problems on clay especially against Nadal. Nadal's game and foot work are tailor made for clay and he is simply better than Fed on that surface. Fed's footwork will be a lot better on HC and he will be able to defend his forehand side easily even on a slow surface.

After watching the FO final again, I can say with confidence that he will have less trouble with Nadal's heavy topspin to his backhand. He has definitely made that side a lot more stable. He doesn't have to go for a winner from that side. He just need to hit it deep consistently and he was able to do so during the FO final.
Roger is the best on h/c and grass but we have to hope that he won't have anymore bad luck....such as a blister or injury or some crazy bad draw. The only reason people might sound nervous is that Roger HAS to do well in the last half of the year to keep his ranking. There is no safety cushion of points that guarantee #1 at year end.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #60
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post

This is a key point that a lot of people don't realize. Federer was hurt more defending his FH (after Nadal's FH's DTL) than defending his BH because he just doesn't slide that well into his Fh. He's a lot better at it on hards and on grass.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote