Federer's ranking discussion - Page 20 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #286
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88 View Post
I have to laugh at TFA's quest for No 1 -- while all the "fast" surfaces are being slowed down everywhere [outdoor/indoor/grass], and Rogi losing big points at AO08, not playing until Dubai, where he's the defending champ and can only "break even" if he wins again, TFA somehow manages not to become el numero Uno once again. How many times has he been "in a position" to take the top spot??

I think that TFA is starting to lose confidence on the slowed-down so-called faster surfaces -- not just in the slams [USO07/AO08] but in the optionals, where not only did the No 1 NOT PLAY but the No 3 for some weird reason decided to w/draw.

AND so many seeded players [some of whom could have been a threat to the No 2, having already beaten him on these kinds of surfaces], incl. Youzhny, Ferrer, as well as sort-of-hot guys like Tipsy and Kohli, crapped out, clearing an already fairly easy path for TFA to the trophy. And still he can't win... one w have thought that he'd have the Chennai title and that Rotterdam was a wooden-shoe-in for him...

Yep, 2008 is the year of the unexpected... which can be interesting, depending on who does the unexpected...

Is this February THE longest month this year or what??

Can't wait for Rogi to get back to playing and winning matches and titles... altho some winners so far have been fun, like Nishikori.
His best chance for #1 was for right about now. He had to beat Fed at the TMC and then get to the finals of the AO, then win Rotterdam. He didn't do it and now has to defend IW and then all of his clay points + Wimby. I think he may have lost his chance unless Feds screws up big time and Nadal squeaks ahead to #1. I think Djoko has a better chance at it right now.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 02:42 AM   #287
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Thanks for your answer. Tsonga was able to do it in the 1set. Most probably, Fed of 2004-2006 could do the same. Now I don't know..
Nalbandian can do it when on and Feds did it last year at the AO and Dubai. Djoko was not as good of a player, but all the strokes were there although I think the serve is a lot better now. Federer took the ball early on the Fh, attacked the net, did some chip and charge, moved Djoko around the court. Federer hit 3X as many winners as Djoko at the AO + Dubai and out hit him in every match they have played until this past AO. Fed played, in my opinion, one of his 5 best matches ever against Djoko in last year's AO outside of serve.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #288
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Rotterdam's court didn't seem slow at all really.
The fact that so many players seem to get good results at it while playing some kind of S/V may prove you right here - but then, why did Baghdatis, Murray, Mahut, Hewitt et al. all comment on the court actually being slow?

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #289
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His best chance for #1 was for right about now. He had to beat Fed at the TMC and then get to the finals of the AO, then win Rotterdam. He didn't do it and now has to defend IW and then all of his clay points + Wimby. I think he may have lost his chance unless Feds screws up big time and Nadal squeaks ahead to #1. I think Djoko has a better chance at it right now.
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Djoker got to #1 before Nadal. On the other hand, who besides Roger can really challenge Nadal on clay right now?

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #290
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rotterdam's court didn't seem slow at all really.
Is Dubai considered a faster hard court? Do you know what the surface is that they use? From what I've read/heard IW is probably the slowest HC on tour. And from the matches I've seen there in person I would tend to agree.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #291
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks... I couldn't remember how many chances TFA had to be No 1, which he says is not sth he's obsessing about... lately anyway.

So is it the lesser of two evils then?

Rogi won't stay No 1 forever and that he's smashed the consecutive weeks at No 1 record, it doesn't really matter that much. At some point he'll have to relinquish the spot... let the Nos 2 and 3 beat each other up trying to grab it in the meantime.

I'm more focused on him winning a slam this year, preferably RG, which I am not going to bother watching, for a change... we'll see how the next couple of months pan out for everyone. I may not be in any fit state to watch tennis by then!

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #292
country flag Skyward

Skyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond reputeSkyward has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Djoker got to #1 before Nadal. On the other hand, who besides Roger can really challenge Nadal on clay right now?
Roger finished Nadal's clay court streak last year. Sadly, I don't think he was a huge challenge for Nadal outside of Hamburg.
Skyward is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #293
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
Roger finished Nadal's clay court streak last year. Sadly, I don't think he was a huge challenge for Nadal outside of Hamburg.
Ok well that's even worse then....

I'm still waiting for someone in the media to admit this.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #294
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on the clay season. If Nadal continues his streak then he will likely protect number two until the summer hard court season and the USO. If he falters, then many things could happen, including Federer picking up more points on clay.

This wasn't just the best chance for Nadal but for Djokovic too.

As for "nothing to shoot for", there is still a large gap between him, Sampras, Connors and Lendl for total weeks at number one in his career, and year end number one 6 years in a row. I don't know how long the streak will last, but he still has a ways to go. If he finishes out this year with the streak intact that will leave him with just another 30 weeks or so needed for number one, which is much less then 80.

Then it's just a matter of picking off titles, RG if he doesn't have it, Rome, Paris, Monte Carlo, and one more Australian Open to match Agassi at 4.

He's getting pretty close to smashing most of the career marks, and this year can break Borg's 42 in a row at Wimbly.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #295
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
If he falters, then many things could happen, including Federer picking up more points on clay.
Maybe we should wait and see how the US spring hc season plays out. Djoker made Fed look really old in Australia and that was on hc. Clay= aging players killa.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #296
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

I don't normally care for articles from this website, but this one is pretty much dead on.

Quote:
http://tennisplanet.wordpress.com/20...of-seeds-mean/

What does the recent tumbling of seeds mean?

Whatever was the reason, from ‘legitimate’ flu of Djokovic to unexplained loss of Nadal yesterday, all this points to one direction - the number of variables you need to reign in to win consistently on the tour.

And there has been just one mortal in the history of the sport to have done that better than anyone else: Federer.

These recent ’seed woes’, makes Federer’s run even more conspicuous and impressive. It’s apparent now that just your game and talent is not enough to let you ride the four year plus run, Federer has been on.

Nalbandian wins at Madrid last year, then bombs in the first round at Basel, then wins at Paris and then is eliminated in the third round at the AO this year.

Djokovic wins at Montreal by beating the top three clowns in a row, then goes out in the opening round at Cincinnati. Reaches the final of the US Open, then is taken out in the semifinal at Madrid. As if that wasn’t enough, he loses at Paris in the opening round, not to mention the disaster at the TMC. And this year, he wins the AO and then is taken out in the second round at France. Then has to withdraw from Rotterdam.

Nadal reaches the final of Wimbledon after winning Roland Garros and an incredible clay season, then starts his slide by winning nothing on any other surface for the rest of the year - with an opening round loss at Cincinnati, fourth round at the US Open and quarterfinal at Madrid. He has still not won anything even after reaching the final at Chennai this year, and semifinal at the AO.

Who gives a rat’s ass as to what’s the reason for your erratic and inconsistent performance? How come Federer did not have any of your legit or made up excuses for almost five freaking years? He has been able to bottle it up or suck it up, whatever you want to call it, without making any big deal about it.

And these jokers win just one freaking title, and it’s like they have conquered the world. Until you are able to sustain the run for over four years, and keep your mouth shut while doing it, don’t even try to attract any attention your way by any other means. You are making yourself look bad, while shining even more brighter light on Federer at the same time.

This also rests any freaking theory of’ lack of depth in competition’ crap. It’s who is hot on a particular day that is getting these mortals the titles, not how they have raised the game at every tournament to bring down the guy in the zone on their way up. Read that again for it to make any sense.

Despite his virus, the new surface and virtually no match play, Federer was able to reach the semis where it wasn’t that he was blown away. It was still close, and could have gone either way.

It makes Federer’s achievement even more stark in comparison, especially what’s been happening at Rotterdam. I won’t be surprised if the trend doesn’t seep into the other two events soon - San Jose and BA.

What bewilders Sampras is not as much as how Federer has been able to win, it’s how he has been able to lose just five or six matches the whole freaking year for the past four freaking years. That’s not because of talent, that’s because of an assortment of pills too numerous to even list. They are both tangible and intangible. They are what can be learnt and ones that you are born with.

Unless you are in that position, like Sampras has been, you can never really appreciate the full gravity of the situation. Nadal has tasted the flavor, after having taken the tough lesson. Djokovic is still feeling the knocks to even comprehend the real depth of the well. Just getting that lesson is a privilege. Very few have ever taken the class, forget about passing the test.

Laver and Sampras are the only true tennis players who really understand what’s happening in real terms. Rest are just reading the papers and gloating. They have no clue and never will.

If this really is the last year of Federer’s brilliance on the court, this seed debacle makes it even more precious and invaluable. A run that we need to be thankful for in many ways. We need to cherish every moment, for once it’s gone, it will leave a gaping hole not just in the tennis world but in the whole sporting community worldwide.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #297

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fed played, in my opinion, one of his 5 best matches ever against Djoko in last year's AO outside of serve.
Yep, it was a great match. I remember the consensus among the MTF *experts* was that Djoker is not a difficult macth up for Fed. Things changed rather quickly.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #298
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Laver and Sampras are the only true tennis players who really understand what’s happening in real terms. Rest are just reading the papers and gloating. They have no clue and never will.
I'd add Borg to that list too.

We are fortunate to have a player like Federer who is playing. Regardless what the Djokotards who come here post, Djokovic still has much to prove, even compared to Nadal. It's questionable whether his legacy will be as solid as Roddick's or Hewitt, both of who compare favourably to Djokovic at this point of his career.

Damn!

"You must spread some more reputation around before giving it to Mellow Yellow again"
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #299
country flag stebs

stebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond reputestebs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Yep, it was a great match. I remember the consensus among the MTF *experts* was that Djoker is not a difficult macth up for Fed. Things changed rather quickly.
I don't think I ever said that but I will defend those who did anyway. Djokovic became a far better player recently which obviously makes him a bigger threat and he did it with superior grinding qualities, his attacking groundies and bgi serve where already there and haven't changed. Without the better defence Djokovic wasn't anything like as big a threat to Federer.

Furthermore, AO '07 was Federer hitting his peak and it was not easy to predict he would not keep that level up whereas actually he has declined a fair bit (though he is still a great player) since then. Djokovic defence is similar to Hewitt's not Nadal's and Federer already showed that when on form he eats up that play with ease, obviously he is not quite that player anymore. He is more vulnerable and Djokovic is a very good player indeed.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
I don't think I ever said that but I will defend those who did anyway. Djokovic became a far better player recently which obviously makes him a bigger threat and he did it with superior grinding qualities, his attacking groundies and bgi serve where already there and haven't changed. Without the better defence Djokovic wasn't anything like as big a threat to Federer.

Furthermore, AO '07 was Federer hitting his peak and it was not easy to predict he would not keep that level up whereas actually he has declined a fair bit (though he is still a great player) since then. Djokovic defence is similar to Hewitt's not Nadal's and Federer already showed that when on form he eats up that play with ease, obviously he is not quite that player anymore. He is more vulnerable and Djokovic is a very good player indeed.
I agree with your post. I don't consider myself an *expert*, but after that match I also thought that Djoker was not a difficult macth up for the reasons you mentioned.