Federer's ranking discussion - Page 19 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #271
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

I have to laugh at TFA's quest for No 1 -- while all the "fast" surfaces are being slowed down everywhere [outdoor/indoor/grass], and Rogi losing big points at AO08, not playing until Dubai, where he's the defending champ and can only "break even" if he wins again, TFA somehow manages not to become el numero Uno once again. How many times has he been "in a position" to take the top spot??

I think that TFA is starting to lose confidence on the slowed-down so-called faster surfaces -- not just in the slams [USO07/AO08] but in the optionals, where not only did the No 1 NOT PLAY but the No 3 for some weird reason decided to w/draw.

AND so many seeded players [some of whom could have been a threat to the No 2, having already beaten him on these kinds of surfaces], incl. Youzhny, Ferrer, as well as sort-of-hot guys like Tipsy and Kohli, crapped out, clearing an already fairly easy path for TFA to the trophy. And still he can't win... one w have thought that he'd have the Chennai title and that Rotterdam was a wooden-shoe-in for him...

Yep, 2008 is the year of the unexpected... which can be interesting, depending on who does the unexpected...

Is this February THE longest month this year or what??

Can't wait for Rogi to get back to playing and winning matches and titles... altho some winners so far have been fun, like Nishikori.

Más vale maña que fuerza -- proverbio español
"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
"He's so charismatic." - Marcos Baghdatis
RogiFan88 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #272
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogiFan88 View Post
I have to laugh at TFA's quest for No 1
Too much pression, no?
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #273
country flag RogiFan88

RogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond reputeRogiFan88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Too much pression, no?
I guess Rogi not playing, TFA couldn't use his usual "the No 1 has the most pression, no?" excuse this week... sorry, TFA, the pression was all on you, as the top seed... yes, I believe he is feeling the pressure, to take No 1, to win titles off clay, etc.

The thing is, nobody puts pression on TFA, certainly not the press... only Rogi has it all, all the time, everywhere...

"Pero, con todos mis respetos para Rafa, Federer tiene más talento." - Marat Safin
"Pero para mí el mejor es Roger Federer. / For me, the best is Roger Federer." - D. Nalbandian
"He's the best sportsman, I think, in the world. He has a lot of humble." - Rafael Nadal
Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #274
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

I still would like someone to explain why Nadal plays so well on grass but not HC. Is it just the confidence he's had winning RG and that translating to grass? He seems to be able to play more aggressive at W but on not on HC.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #275
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
I still would like someone to explain why Nadal plays so well on grass but not HC. Is it just the confidence he's had winning RG and that translating to grass? He seems to be able to play more aggressive at W but on not on HC.
He is on a high mentally and game wise after wins on clay, Wimbly has truer bounce and is slow etc.
rofe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #276
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nadal really does suck on HC doesn't he. He was a lot better on the surface in 2005 than he is now. I expect (baring a horrible draw) he'll probably do well in IW as that's probably the slowest HC out there.
That was quite a disastrous performance from Rafa, indeed. I won't join in on the laughing here, as you can understand () - just wanted to point out that nearly all players have commented on the Rotterdam surface being very slow as well. It didn't really help him here, so I doubt the court surface is much of a factor. It rather looked like a mental problem today.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #277
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The grass at wimbledon the past three years has been very slow and rather high bouncing, therefore it's a perfectly suited court surface for Nadal. His slice serve is very effective on grass as well. Then you factor in the confidence of previous performances and having won Roland, then it all explains his success. More or less anyway. (I'm no tennis expert)
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #278
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuzza View Post
That was quite a disastrous performance from Rafa, indeed. I won't join in on the laughing here, as you can understand () - just wanted to point out that nearly all players have commented on the Rotterdam surface being very slow as well. It didn't really help him here, so I doubt the court surface is much of a factor. It rather looked like a mental problem today.
I don't doubt the mental issues, but clearly Nadal performs better on slower, high bouncing hard courts which IW is. So unless he gets a horrible draw I'm sure he'll do well there again this year. Last year he hadn't had a great HC season up to IW and then he came there and won the event.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #279
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't doubt the mental issues, but clearly Nadal performs better on slower, high bouncing hard courts which IW is. So unless he gets a horrible draw I'm sure he'll do well there again this year. Last year he hadn't had a great HC season up to IW and then he came there and won the event.
I think it's no less than a given fact that he indeed usually does better on a slower, high bouncing HC. But Rotterdam was supposed/confirmed by a lot of other players to be exactly that. So indeed I consider his loss in the Rotterdam tournament to be a genuine 'freak loss' (all players get a share of those, remember Volandri against Feds last year? ) than an indication of him being in any way 'bad' on HC.
And I have no doubts that he'll indeed do well on IW again.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #280
country flag Federerhingis

Federerhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond reputeFedererhingis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuzza View Post
I think it's no less than a given fact that he indeed usually does better on a slower, high bouncing HC. But Rotterdam was supposed/confirmed by a lot of other players to be exactly that. So indeed I consider his loss in the Rotterdam tournament to be a genuine 'freak loss' (all players get a share of those, remember Volandri against Feds last year? ) than an indication of him being in any way 'bad' on HC.
And I have no doubts that he'll indeed do well on IW again.
Ditto, Injury excluded, he'l definitely make the semis at least, quarters for sure, barring injuries that is. Or if having to face Novak in the round of 16 which will not happen.
when he has done you no harm, Proverbs3:30"

So long Marat Safin, C'mon Lleyton Hewitt,Viel gluck Tommy Haas, Bring it on Marcos Baghdatis, Gut Spielen Nicolas Kiefer, Dale Fernando Gonzalez, Dale David Nalbandian, Davai Nikolay Davydenko and Allez Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger continue marvelling us the tennis mortals

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis (TENNIS)
Federerhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #281
country flag RogiFan88

TFA, like Pandy and now Nole, have this goal of winning Wimby, so he goes all out to try and win it... he wants to be better than all those other "ordinary" Spaniards who only win clay titles, like RG... which he can win not playing his best tennis... [and when he says he's never played Rogi at his best, it's quite true as Rogi never plays HIS best tennis v. TFA, as annoying as that is -- other players have played Rogi when he's played amazing tennis, but not TFA]

Perhaps one of these days, Rogi will surprise us all and actually play blindingly good tennis... at the RG Final... that's the dream anyway... it w be nice to see, just once...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #282
country flag RogiFan88

... I w say the guy laughing the most now is Nole... as HE gets closer to TFA...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #283
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

While Wimby's grass may be slower than in the past, it will still play fast if you hit flat. I think someone hitting like Tsonga can end points with 2 or 3 shots almost every time. The serve is still very effective on grass as it skids away on the slices out wide (Nadal's most effective serve on any surface), and the flat one up the middle skids across the court. People hitting loopy topspin has a lot to do with how the courts play.

Rotterdam's court didn't seem slow at all really.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #284
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
He is on a high mentally and game wise after wins on clay, Wimbly has truer bounce and is slow etc.
Confidence from being invincible on clay is one thing going for him. Another is that most players don't have a good feel for movement on grass. Look at Blake. He'll hit the ball all over the court for winners on hard courts, but can never move himself into position to blast away winners on grass. To beat Nadal, you hit him off of the court and not too many players are comfortable enough on the grass to do it.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:37 AM   #285
Fed Fo Mod

Quote:
Added to my last comment, Nadal's serve is a lot more effective on grass. The slice out wide dies on the grass and the slider up the T on the deuce court spins away and dies down making a good return very difficult. In almost all of his grass wins, these two serves dominate the match.