Federer's ranking discussion - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:42 AM   #256
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Yes, thank you NYCTennisfan.

I hope he learned that he must take the initiative against Djokovic rather then doing the low slices and trying to outrally him.

We saw that more in the third set where it went to tiebreak. Djokovic can't match Fed's firepower, he's just super consistant and defends well.

I said before the match that Federer had to take what Djokovic was giving him, and not get impatient. I was worried about him getting into long rallies and shanking off UE after UE.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 05:52 AM   #257
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

NYC, what weaknesses do you see in PC's (PC=Prince Charming) game?
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #258
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

BREAKING NEWS: Rafael Nadal just lost to Seppi at Rotterdam. This means that Federers #1 ranking is safe. At some point I'll calculate when the soonest he can lose it is. It is probably after Miami, but Federer would have to play ABYSMAL tennis, while Nadal dominates for that to happen. At the moment neither Federer playing abysmal or Nadal dominating looks likely.
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #259
country flag Rogieva
You can never have enough

Rogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond reputeRogieva has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw Nadal lost
Old 02-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #260

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
. At the moment neither Federer playing abysmal or Nadal dominating looks likely.
Well, dominating is reserved for the PC now. As for Fed playing abysmal, it remains to be seen.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #261
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
NYC, what weaknesses do you see in PC's (PC=Prince Charming) game?
To be honest, not much. He serves well to all directions, can hit on the run, can hit big groundstrokes when he wants to, returns really well, and is an excellent athlete. His net game is average at best, but that's not a big deal in today's game. His lack of a weakness is his biggest strength.

When he was younger, he would get impatient and pull the trigger on the Bh dtl too early which is not a great shot for him when he's going for the winner. He's toned it down to only hit the Bh dtl to set up his next shot which has done a lot of good things for him. A player who can hit BH dtl can hurt him though because he'll hit a lot of short angled BH's CC, but Fed's BH dtl is not working anynore.

Djoko doesn't take the ball all that early so there are chances in the rallies against him, but you have to hit aggressively and look to finish the points. If Djoko plays with confidence, he's going to be a tough out EVERY time out from here on out.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #262
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

PC
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
To be honest, not much. He serves well to all directions, can hit on the run, can hit big groundstrokes when he wants to, returns really well, and is an excellent athlete. His net game is average at best, but that's not a big deal in today's game. His lack of a weakness is his biggest strength.

When he was younger, he would get impatient and pull the trigger on the Bh dtl too early which is not a great shot for him when he's going for the winner. He's toned it down to only hit the Bh dtl to set up his next shot which has done a lot of good things for him. A player who can hit BH dtl can hurt him though because he'll hit a lot of short angled BH's CC, but Fed's BH dtl is not working anynore.

Djoko doesn't take the ball all that early so there are chances in the rallies against him, but you have to hit aggressively and look to finish the points. If Djoko plays with confidence, he's going to be a tough out EVERY time out from here on out.
Thanks for your answer. Tsonga was able to do it in the 1set. Most probably, Fed of 2004-2006 could do the same. Now I don't know..
Old 02-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #264
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

I see Roger was given a gift with Ego King crapping out of Marseille, withdrawing from Rotterdam and now Nadal loosing to Seppi. I'm sure they'll all have their act together by the time Dubai rolls around though.

Thank you Nick for taking out the trash at Wimbledon!
nobama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #265
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

nobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond reputenobama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
BREAKING NEWS: Rafael Nadal just lost to Seppi at Rotterdam. This means that Federers #1 ranking is safe. At some point I'll calculate when the soonest he can lose it is. It is probably after Miami, but Federer would have to play ABYSMAL tennis, while Nadal dominates for that to happen. At the moment neither Federer playing abysmal or Nadal dominating looks likely.
Nadal really does suck on HC doesn't he. He was a lot better on the surface in 2005 than he is now. I expect (baring a horrible draw) he'll probably do well in IW as that's probably the slowest HC out there.

Man this is Roger's chance to come back and really assert himself, especially with few points to defend in IW/Miami. Nadal's sucking on HC, Murray is inconsistant, Djoker/Ego King with fitness/health issues....

Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #266
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Updated after Rotterdam.

Basically it comes down to this: The soonest Roger can lose the #1 ranking is after Miami, providing that he doesn't play at all and Nadal plays exceedingly well (for instance wins Dubai and gets to the finals of both Indian Wells and Miami).
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
Djoker/Ego King with fitness/health issues....
Don't be so naive.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #268
country flag nobama
287 Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Don't be so naive.
I'm not. Why the heck would Djoker crap out of Marsille and withdraw from Rotterdam when he had the chance to gain on Nadal and Roger? Maybe it was just the flu and nothing more but I can't see him passing up the opportunity to gain on #1 and #2. Which he had the chance to do here and last week.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
I'm not. Why the heck would Djoker crap out of Marsille and withdraw from Rotterdam when he had the chance to gain on Nadal and Roger? Maybe it was just the flu and nothing more but I can't see him passing up the opportunity to gain on #1 and #2. Which he had the chance to do here and last week.
Everyone needs some time to regroup after winning the first Slam (read:recover after a huge celebration) and the most important tournaments are not in Feb anyway. Check his birthday date. He'll have plenty of time to gain on #2 and #1 and his physical prime is ahead of him.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #270
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Well I figure he's safe until Wimbledon because of the massive number of points that Nadal has to defend. He's made it over the hump of Dubai.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote