Federer's ranking discussion - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 AM   #241
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuzza View Post
It's so simple: THEY get along together well, why shouldn't WE be able to follow their example?
What are you talking about? By my standards, we are getting along just fine. You are not on my ignore list yet.

Quote:
I've been going through nastiness/well-meant (well, that's the question, here... ) teasing by either side of the fence during the past years, and yes, I managed to get used to it (meh... still not so sure of that )
OK, I 'm done with teasing you. I thought you'd developed skin of an african rhino by now. I guess not.

I was honest with you. I really don't understand how it's possible to cheer equally for two athletes with conflicting interests/fighting for the same prize all year long.

Last edited by ExpectedWinner : 02-19-2008 at 05:19 AM.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #242
country flag didadida

didadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond reputedidadida has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Beater View Post
federer was obviously thinking he would win at least 3 slams this year which leads me to believe that he thought he could win the AO even with his illness.

it also tells me he doesnt have much hope/confidence for RG. He is already telling himself that he has many more years to pursue that goal.

Federer's movement has looked terrible at the AO. Its clear that djokovic will continue to be a problem for federer on HC, and that roger should probably hope that they at least split matches in grand slams.

At the usopen, i thought federer's movement was terrible against djoker in the final. Roger just cannot read djoker's shots and just cannot move to the fh side anymore. It was always a minor weakness but now its a glaring one as fed starts to age.
but remember roger's movement was absolutely great in the TMC
maybe this year in the AO was due to his illness,i dont think it because of his age he is just 26

the recipe is simple yet but extremely rare:buckets of athletic ability coupled with gallons of mental tenacity are the core ingredients that produce a Tiger Woods,a Michael Jordan...a Roger Federer

roger is the best
didadida is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #243
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

ClayBuzza your avarat is so cute!!!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #244
country flag yanchr

yanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond reputeyanchr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
federer was obviously thinking he would win at least 3 slams this year which leads me to believe that he thought he could win the AO even with his illness.

it also tells me he doesnt have much hope/confidence for RG. He is already telling himself that he has many more years to pursue that goal.
He also said with AO gone it would be hard to break Pete's record this year and that he hoped to tie it...which also says a lot.

Quote:
Federer's movement has looked terrible at the AO. Its clear that djokovic will continue to be a problem for federer on HC, and that roger should probably hope that they at least split matches in grand slams.

At the usopen, i thought federer's movement was terrible against djoker in the final. Roger just cannot read djoker's shots and just cannot move to the fh side anymore. It was always a minor weakness but now its a glaring one as fed starts to age.
Agree with everything. His beautiful game relies on his movement to such a degree that without it in this AO semi-final he looked so convincingly beaten by Djokovic just in every aspect. Agree on last year USO final as well, and Djokovic is a quick learner and is only getting stronger. On a positive note, you can blame on the illness for his poor movement in this AO, the thing is I don't think you can get your movement back all of a sudden especially when you are aging, definitely not by not practising for three weeks.

He used to be the best in turning from defense to offense and it was stunning to see, but now he is pretty poor in defense on the fh side.

Let's see. Let's see.
yanchr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #245
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by didadida View Post
but remember roger's movement was absolutely great in the TMC
maybe this year in the AO was due to his illness,i dont think it because of his age he is just 26
I know people here are bringing up his performance at the TMC but there are two factors to consider:

1) It was one tournament.
2) The TMC court really suits his game so he doesn't have to be 100% focussed and ready to play well there.

Anyway, I think we are just over-analyzing at this point since a lot of us (including me) seem to be suffering from Fed tennis withdrawal.

Bring on Dubai!
rofe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 AM   #246
country flag RogerFan82

RogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond reputeRogerFan82 has a reputation beyond repute

Folks, Don't worry!!! Roger will be back to his best this year. He knows the challenges ahead of him, and I'm sure he'll find a way. It will be a great year for him and being his fans, we'll have lots of good times ahead.

An unrelated question? What happened to FedFan_2007. It's been a long while since I've seen him on MTF. I used to enjoy reading his posts.

Spartan Rog

Slam No: 18 is coming soon.

RogerFan82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #247
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofe View Post
2) The TMC court really suits his game so he doesn't have to be 100% focussed and ready to play well there

Bring on Dubai!
i dont really believe that. But i do agree that the court being fast allowed federer to play offensively and to dictate.

Also consider his opponents.

davydenko, roddick were his wins...federer wins these matches no matter what his form is like or what surface it is.

Nadal and ferrer cannot pressure federer the way djoker and nalbandian can on fast surfaces.

djoker learns incredibly well. He started looping the bh quite a bit once he sensed federer was struggling. He varies his shots well for a person who is not known for having variety. Djoker's returns were also incredible and he served roger off the court esp on the big pts.

djoker was afraid in the usopen final. He wasnt afraid once fed let him back into the match at the AO. The match reminded me of the fed-nadal RG 06 match where federer was drubbing the crap out of nadal and then just made a bunch of careless mistakes and then disappeared.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #248
country flag rofe

rofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond reputerofe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i dont really believe that. But i do agree that the court being fast allowed federer to play offensively and to dictate.

Also consider his opponents.

davydenko, roddick were his wins...federer wins these matches no matter what his form is like or what surface it is.

Nadal and ferrer cannot pressure federer the way djoker and nalbandian can on fast surfaces.

djoker learns incredibly well. He started looping the bh quite a bit once he sensed federer was struggling. He varies his shots well for a person who is not known for having variety. Djoker's returns were also incredible and he served roger off the court esp on the big pts.

djoker was afraid in the usopen final. He wasnt afraid once fed let him back into the match at the AO. The match reminded me of the fed-nadal RG 06 match where federer was drubbing the crap out of nadal and then just made a bunch of careless mistakes and then disappeared.
I was trying to point out that the court surface helped Roger reach his talent potential easier and he didn't have to grind it out once he discovered his groove. He couldn't do that at the AO.

Last edited by rofe : 02-20-2008 at 05:05 PM.
rofe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #249
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
djoker was afraid in the usopen final.
Unfortunately, both were afraid. You'd never figured out who had 11 GS titles and who was in his first GS final.
Now I recall Fed's interview after he beat Djoker in Dubai last year. He said "I was not confident before this match". I thought it was odd because Fed schooled him in Australia.
Is it time for a new topic "Is TIC (The Irresistible Charm, see his website) in Fed's head?"
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #250
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Is it time for a new topic "Is TIC (The Irresistible Charm, see his website) in Fed's head?"

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #251
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that Djokovic blew him off the court in the AO.

First off, Roger should have served out the first set, which would change the whole match entirely. He was up 5-4 with the serve, got broken, Djoko held, and got broken again to lose outright.

He then managed to lose 7 straight games before finally holding at 4-1. Djokovic held, Federer held and broke Djokovic, held again and then Djokovic finally won 6-4 in the second set after closing it out after deuce.

Third set, Federer finally found his serve and it went to tiebreak after Federer failed to break Djokovic being up 0-40 in the first set.

The difference was that Djokovic was able to serve out whenever he was pressed. The second was the extreme number of unforced errors after long rallies for Federer. Most of Djokovic's won points were off of unforced errors, aces and unreturnables.

We only saw flashes of Federer's brilliance in that whole match in the third set, but it wasn't enough to breakpoint. That match was weird, going 3 hours in a 3 set match, and was much closer then the scoreline showed.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #252
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Oh as for the Fedal fans, they are great players. I like them both too, but I like Federer better, and was cheering for Tursonov at Rotterdam. Federer is chasing his number one records, and I'd like him to get them sooner rather then later.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #253
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Oh as for the Fedal fans, they are great players. I like them both too, but I like Federer better, and was cheering for Tursonov at Rotterdam.
It didn't help him much... Rafa spanked him real hard.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #254
country flag World Beater

World Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWorld Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Unfortunately, both were afraid. You'd never figured out who had 11 GS titles and who was in his first GS final.
Now I recall Fed's interview after he beat Djoker in Dubai last year. He said "I was not confident before this match". I thought it was odd because Fed schooled him in Australia.
fed seems to play the "wait and see" approach when it comes to big matches. He hates taking risks and being aggressive unless he is down 0-2 and is forced to do so. By that time its too late.

Federer needs to stop hoping that djoker and nadal will choke on their respective surfaces. They are too good for that.
There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

-Richard Feynman

World Beater is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #255
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's obvious that Mr. Djoker studies Fed's game in the off-season. The way he was readng Fed's shots and serves was incredible. And then there's the defense...some of the shots he hit on the run were hit with unbelieveable power and depth.

ONe thing that the Fed learned was that Djoko can now handle the low slice BH. He killed Djoko with it at the USO, but it didn't work at all at the AO. Another problem that Fed had at tmes last year and against the Djoker was hitting the BH pass dtl when the low slice did create an effective opening for him via Djoko rushing the net from an awkward spot.

Fed was also somewhat successful hitting aggressive returns on 2nd serves rather than slicing it back. The problem is that Fed is very conscious of the fact that Djoko gets more service winners and aces against him than most players so Fed might not feel like it's not worth the risk of the aggressive return and he would rather put the balll in play.

The other thing that Fed hopefully saw was that Djoko wasn't going to make errors. Djoko went a set and a half without more than a handful of errors. Fed's going to have play aggressivey with the Fh and come to net.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote