Federer's ranking discussion - Page 14 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #196
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
Updated after the AO
Thanks a lot for the update!

But I noticed (correct me if I'm wrong about that) that you didn't take into account that Djoko and Rafa will be playing Rotterdam coming February (if they actually turn up over there, of course...), where both of them can gain a lot of points as it'will be their first appearance over there. That might well mean that both of them may get a lot closer to Roger's ranking points even before Dubai starts off.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #197
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer vs Nadal & Djokovic ranking points (First post always updated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBuzza View Post

But I noticed (correct me if I'm wrong about that) that you didn't take into account that Djoko and Rafa will be playing Rotterdam coming February (if they actually turn up over there, of course...), where both of them can gain a lot of points as it'will be their first appearance over there. That might well mean that both of them may get a lot closer to Roger's ranking points even before Dubai starts off.
Djoker has to to defend his SF points in Rotterdam.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #198
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectedWinner View Post
Djoker has to to defend his SF points in Rotterdam.
Thanks for the correction. How far did he get there last year? Not to the final as far as I remember as that was Youzhny - Ljubicic. So I guess he, too, can win quite a few points there.

Anathema

Old 01-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #199
country flag ExpectedWinner

ExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond reputeExpectedWinner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. How far did he get there last year? Not to the final as far as I remember as that was Youzhny - Ljubicic. So I guess he, too, can win quite a few points there.
He reached the semis, lost to Misha.
ExpectedWinner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #200
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the change of thread!

GO Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #201
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I did take it into account, but I now see that they way I wrote it was misguiding. I wrote that Nadal could gain 475 points at "those two tournaments" meaning Rotterdam/Dubai, but it was written in a context where it could easily have been misinterpreted to mean Indian Wells/Miami. I've changed it now, so that the meaning is clear.

For the record, a win at Rotterdam would leave Nadal trailing Roger by only 400 points. If he also wins Dubai he would gain a further 300 points. BUT he would lose the 55 pionts won at Queens due to having too many optionals. Roger would then have to reach the final of Dubai, whereby he would still lead Nadal by a measly 65 points. So there it is:

If Nadal wins both Rotterdam and Dubai, and Roger doesn't reach the Dubai final, he'll lose the #1 ranking. Doesn't seem very likely, though.

If Nadal wins Rotterdam (gains 250 points) and makes the Dubai final (gains 210-75 = 135 points) he'll gain a total of 250 + 135 - 55 = 330 points and be at a career high 6310 points. Roger, however, is at 6330 points, even when his Dubai points come off.

So there you have it: Nadal will have to win BOTH Rotterdam and Dubai while Roger fails to reach the finals of Dubai. That's the only way that Federer loses the #1 ranking before Indian Wells/Miami.
BlueSwan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #202
country flag BlueSwan

BlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond reputeBlueSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Another good thing is that Roger has only played TWO optionals during the last 12 months. Conceivably he could pick up a lot of additional points by playing the maximum of 5 optionals. Both Nadal and Djokovic have played more than 5 optionals during the last 12 months. Who knows, he might even consider playing an optional before Dubai.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #203
Anathemaniac

Thanks a lot for all of the work, BlueSwan. Much appreciated!

Anathema

Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #204
country flag BlueSwan

Actually Nadal can get even close to Roger without actually overtaking him:

If Nadal wins Dubai (300´- 75 = 225 points) and makes the final of Rotterdam (175 points) he gains 300 + 175 - 55 = 345 points and reaches a total of 6325 points. Roger is at 6330 points even if he doesn't play Dubai. But he would lead by only 5 points. How cruel if Nadal were to get that close, but never actually get to #1.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #205
Anathemaniac

Quote:
Actually Nadal can get even close to Roger without actually overtaking him:

If Nadal wins Dubai (300´- 75 = 225 points) and makes the final of Rotterdam (175 points) he gains 300 + 175 - 55 = 345 points and reaches a total of 6325 points. Roger is at 6330 points even if he doesn't play Dubai. But he would lead by only 5 points. How cruel if Nadal were to get that close, but never actually get to #1.
Yep. Know what/ It´s just like Roger said himself / if he were to lose that #1 position to anyone else / it better be Rafa.

Anathema

Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #206
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Roger will play Dubai of course~~
Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #207
country flag Marcel Jordan

Marcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond reputeMarcel Jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKTUEN View Post
Roger will play Dubai of course~~
Agreed. Especially when he practises there ever so often.
Marcel Jordan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #208
country flag SUKTUEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Jordan View Post
Agreed. Especially when he practises there ever so often.
Yes, he know everything well in Dubai~~
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #209
country flag Filipo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Filipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond reputeFilipo has a reputation beyond repute

this year Dubai is a week later, which means that Federer will lose 300 points before the tournament. so we have 650 points difference:

So till Dubai:
Nadal can gain 250 (Rotterdam) and -75 (last year Dubai)
Federer will lose his 300 from last year Dubai.
The difference will be: 650 - 250 + 75 - 300 = 175 points

In Dubai the points are:
W - 300
F - 210
SF - 135
QF - 75
R16 - 25
R32 - 0

So there are 2 possibilities for Nadal to be Number 1 (for a short time):
1. If Nadal wins the tournament, and Federer lose in 1st or 2nd round
2. If Nadal lose the final, and Federer lose in 1st or 2nd round.

So Roger has to reach the QF to ensure his Number 1, if Nadal wins Rotterdam of course. Everything is in Roger's hands and i really don't think he will drop his Number 1 off.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #210
country flag BlueSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipo View Post
this year Dubai is a week later, which means that Federer will lose 300 points before the tournament. so we have 650 points difference:

So till Dubai:
Nadal can gain 250 (Rotterdam) and -75 (last year Dubai)
Federer will lose his 300 from last year Dubai.
The difference will be: 650 - 250 + 75 - 300 = 175 points

In Dubai the points are:
W - 300
F - 210
SF - 135
QF - 75
R16 - 25
R32 - 0

So there are 2 possibilities for Nadal to be Number 1 (for a short time):
1. If Nadal wins the tournament, and Federer lose in 1st or 2nd round
2. If Nadal lose the final, and Federer lose in 1st or 2nd round.

So Roger has to reach the QF to ensure his Number 1, if Nadal wins Rotterdam of course. Everything is in Roger's hands and i really don't think he will drop his Number 1 off.
Yes, I f*cked up the calculations earlier. But so did you - reaching the qaurters won't be enough to secure #1.

Here are all the ways for Nadal to reach #1:

1) If Federer gets to the semifinals of Dubai, then he's safe.

2) If Federer gets to the quarters at Dubai, then Nadal can become #1 by winning both Rotterdam and Dubai.

3) If Federer loses in the first or second round at Dubai, Nadal can become #1 by winning Rotterdam and getting to the final of Dubai OR by winning Dubai while getting to the semifinal of Rotterdam.

So actually it looks at bit more grim than first expected. But still not a very likely event.