Federer's ranking discussion - Page 106 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #1576
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's ranking discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOFH View Post
Nadal needed to win the tournament to stop Federer from taking the #1 spot, that's not the same as living close to the expectations.

LOL seems like others had already pointed this out, I should probably read the page down before answering to posts.
Like many others you have missed my point entirely. Things would have been entirely different if Nadal would have managed to do better at Wimbledon.
I do not care about whatever you call me for calling out the facts, it´s just that Roger managed to take the best of whatever his chances, all the stars indeed alligned for him over there, and once again / whatever other opponents´ failure, one has to grab the opportunity and make the most out of it. Roger did so, and as such, did wonderfully well, reclaiming the CROWN of being the best of all times as far as I´m concerned.

KING!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #1577
country flag Greenday

Greenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Like many others you have missed my point entirely. Things would have been entirely different if Nadal would have managed to do better at Wimbledon.
I do not care about whatever you call me for calling out the facts, it´s just that Roger managed to take the best of whatever his chances, all the stars indeed alligned for him over there, and once again / whatever other opponents´ failure, one has to grab the opportunity and make the most out of it. Roger did so, and as such, did wonderfully well, reclaiming the CROWN of being the best of all times as far as I´m concerned.

KING!

WOW!!...What facts are you calling out? and where exactly did we misunderstand you??? PLEASE EXPLAIN.... so that we don't reply samething again and again.

Please explain how would things be dramatically different has Nadal managed to better at Wimbledon!! Please explain !

Like so many others have explained nothing would be different unless Nadal won Wimbledon. Remember Roger defeated the No.1 player and defending wimbledon champ on his way to title. Why is Nadal even in the picture when he is neither No.1 nor defending wimbledon champ.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #1578
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

If you convert the ranking system for alloting points in 2004 to today's ranking system, Federer would have around 11,800 -- 11,900 points at the end of the 2004 season. At the age of 30/31, eight seasons later, Federer has accumulated 12,000 + points over the past 52 weeks. Something to think about.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #1579
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
If you convert the ranking system for alloting points in 2004 to today's ranking system, Federer would have around 11,800 -- 11,900 points at the end of the 2004 season. At the age of 30/31, eight seasons later, Federer has accumulated 12,000 + points over the past 52 weeks. Something to think about.
That is true. But then of course 2004 wasn't his best, he was still improving. At the end of 2006 he had what would now be more than 16000 points.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #1580
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
That is true. But then of course 2004 wasn't his best, he was still improving. At the end of 2006 he had what would now be more than 16000 points.
That's why I used 2004 as an example . 2004 and 2005 are two of his years in his prime yet here he is 7-8 seasons later with the same point totals which is really unheard of. In 2005, he would have had about 12,300 - 12,400 which he is close to now and can surpass if he makes it to the final of the USO. 2006 would have him at about 15,800. 2007 would have him at about 13,600.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #1581
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #1582
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
That's why I used 2004 as an example . 2004 and 2005 are two of his years in his prime yet here he is 7-8 seasons later with the same point totals which is really unheard of. In 2005, he would have had about 12,300 - 12,400 which he is close to now and can surpass if he makes it to the final of the USO. 2006 would have him at about 15,800. 2007 would have him at about 13,600.
With the old ranking system, I estimated Fed would have 6695 points at the moment.

He finished 2004 with 6335 points (I displayed the stats here : http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...postcount=1557 )

And even 2005 he finished it with 6725 points, that is approximately the same (and approximately the same Nadal finished 2008 and 2010) ... but he missed 4 MS1000 tournaments that year because of injury (he missed 2 of them in the last 52 weeks)

2006 he finished with 8370 points, 2007 with 7180 points
Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #1583
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Fed becomes only the second man over 30 to enter the US Open ranked number one.

Agassi did it in 2003.

Connors reached world number 1 after winning the USO, but fell just short of McEnroe for year- end world number 1 in 1982.

Lendl fell short at the start of August, 1990.

The record for a player over 30 to get to year end number 1 is Jimmy Connors, at November 14, 1982 where he was world number 1 for a week.

Connors after winning the US Open stayed world number 1 for 7 weeks, from September 13, 1982 to October 31st 1982.

Agassi was world number 1 until September 7th

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #1584
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, anyone want to tell us what effect tonight's result will have?
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 AM   #1585
country flag Kat_YYZ
Registered Fed fan

Kat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond reputeKat_YYZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alypen View Post
Okay, anyone want to tell us what effect tonight's result will have?
I think it stands like this:

(=)1. Federer 11805

(=)2. Djokovic 10470

(+1)3. Murray 8570
(-1)4. Nadal 7515

Points difference between Nole and Fed is now 1,335.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #1586
country flag Corey Feldman
Banned!

Corey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Feldman has a reputation beyond repute

and the diff in the 2012 points race is only a 1005 lead for Nole

so, catchable
Corey Feldman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #1587
country flag Looner

Looner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond reputeLooner has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you based Muzzah .

The "Who plays tennis?" thread

On winning DC and its overall importance in the discussion for all-time greats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbis View Post
Davis Cup should never have really mattered in the GOAT discussion anyway since it's a team event. If you're talking about the GOAT singles player then you should mainly look at individual results.
If some unknown talent came out of some random tiny country (no chance to win DC) and won 20 slams, no one would give a single shit if that player didn't have DC. The fact is, success in DC is largely determined by what country you come from or play for in the first place, which most players haven't had any control over.
Looner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #1588
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Feldman View Post
and the diff in the 2012 points race is only a 1005 lead for Nole

so, catchable
Definitely catchable, if he can produce another good indoor season. This is one scenario that would be enough:

Federer:
Shanghai F
Basel W
WTF W undefeated

Djokovic:
Beijing W
Shanghai SF
Paris QF
WTF SF two wins

In this case, we end up with Fed 2600 and Djoko 1440 additional points, and a 155 point margin #1 for Fed even without playing Paris.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #1589
country flag alypen

alypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond reputealypen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'd forgotten all about the Points Race: it doesn't seem to have had much coverage recently (mind you, I'm UK-based - you could say that about most aspects of tennis )
alypen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #1590
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

if Fed plays Shanghai and reaches the QFs there, he will stay number 1 after Shanghai and have 302 weeks guaranteed at number 1 (now he's guaranteed to stay number 1 until the end of Shanghai, that is 299 weeks).

If Fed doesn't play Shanghai or doesn't reach QFs there, Djokovic could take the number 1 after Shanghai only if he won both Beijing and Shanghai.

Yes, for the year-end, there are now 1000 points now in favour of Djokovic ahead of Federer in the Race, and Federer is 2160 points ahead of Murray.

It's clearly opened for Federer even though Djokovic is ahead at the moment.

Last edited by duong : 09-11-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: 302, not 301, as Djokovic doesn't play Basel or Valencia
duong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote