Federer's ranking discussion - Page 103 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #1531
country flag SUKTUEN

SUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond reputeSUKTUEN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's ranking discussion

SUKTUEN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #1532
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Today secures Roger's number one through to Shanghai. 300+ weeks.
no not at all : if Djokovic wins Cinci and Fed doesn't reach the final, Djokovic gets back the number 1, then if Djokovic wins the US Open again and Fed doesn't reach the final like last year, Djokovic keeps the number 1 and he can keep it for long as he doesn't have points to lose in next weeks either.

It all depends on Cinci and the US Open.

The Olympics were not important ranking-wise.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #1533
country flag viruzzz

viruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond reputeviruzzz has a reputation beyond repute

So, we need a victory over Nole in this final right now.

Difficult, but possible.
I think both have so many chances to reach the final, and then...
I'm looking forward to it.

COME ON!
Harrison - Soderling - Wawrinka - Dimitrov - Davydenko - Russell - Andreev - Stebe - Haas - Schwank - Kuznetsov - Goffin

THE STRONGAWAGON
MTF BIOS

Want to talk tennis or random stuff? Add me to the tennis-related Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/johnny.viruz
viruzzz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #1534
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Rodge already surpassed my biggest ever hopes & dreams for being able to take back the #1 position at Wimbledon, and to surpass Sampras' record in doing so.
I do think it's pretty fair to acknowledge that he wouldn't have managed that without some kind of unfortunate 'help' from a certain other guy, though... and damn me for saying it, Roger's glory makes me as happy as Said Other Guy's misfortune makes me , for this matter.

In all honesty, I don't give a bloody damn if Djoko (or whoever else) takes it (back) sooner or later - but of course, better later than sooner.
Keep it going, CHAMP!

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #1535
country flag Fujee

Fujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond reputeFujee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good feeling he will be year end no.1 - he's looking good
Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled.

David Foster Wallace
Fujee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #1536
country flag kenneth79

kenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujee View Post
I have a good feeling he will be year end no.1 - he's looking good
Its no more than 50/50. Nole ahead in the race after taking advantage of the weak field in Canada. Also Roger said in a pre-tournament interview in Cincy that if the number 1 ranking was the most important thing he would have gone to Canada. I think his goal was to retake #1, not necessarily retain it at all costs. I think the most important thing in his mind now is to peak for USO/Basel/YEC.

Also like Murray , Tsonga , Nalbandian
kenneth79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #1537
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In all honesty, I don't give a bloody damn if Djoko (or whoever else) takes it (back) sooner or later - but of course, better later than sooner.
True, it doesn't really matter at this point. However No2e's fans DO care.

Just watched the Rosol match. Does anyone have a tape of the full match? Holy hell. He just destroyed Nadal's FH. Had SP on Nadal's serve, SP later during the tiebreak.

Nadal was very lucky to avoid being straight setted.

Nadal didn't manage to break Rosol until halfway through the fourth set, and Rosol's level dropped some.

Then the fifth set? *drool*. Everything Nadal put up went right to Rosol's hitting zone.

The only real success Nadal had the whole match was when Rosol's level dropped, and he was able to overpower with the standard FH to BH exchanges we all know too well.

No wonder Nadal's taking his time coming back. Rosol simply was playing on a whole different level of tennis.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.

Last edited by JediFed : 08-18-2012 at 03:31 AM.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:35 AM   #1538
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the most important thing in his mind now is to peak for USO/Basel/YEC.
Nothing wrong with that method of reaching Year End number one.

Toronto meant the sun moon and stars to No2e, and very, very little to Federer. No2e had to win there. Fed used the time constructively to rest and recouperate and reload for the summer HC season.

I'm very pleased by his performance. I was worried after his poor final vs Murray that it would affect his play for the rest of the year, and I'm extremely happy to see that my concerns were unfounded.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #1539
country flag juninhOH

juninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond reputejuninhOH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
I do think it's pretty fair to acknowledge that he wouldn't have managed that without some kind of unfortunate 'help' from a certain other guy, though... and damn me for saying it, Roger's glory makes me as happy as Said Other Guy's misfortune makes me , for this matter.
Weird that you think that way when Roger won his #1 back considering a 52-week period. Saying Roger wouldn't be able to do it if Nadal hadn't "helped him" (by losing a tennis match) is kinda arrogant imo.
juninhOH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #1540
country flag Greenday

Greenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset of Age View Post
Rodge already surpassed my biggest ever hopes & dreams for being able to take back the #1 position at Wimbledon, and to surpass Sampras' record in doing so.

Keep it going, CHAMP!
What Nonsense!...You get to No.1 ranking based on your results over a 52 week period and Nadal was right there throughout the 52 week period....and Fed was chasing Novak anyway and not Rafa.....to say that Fed acheived No.1 because Nadal got his ass kicked by World No.100 player is rude and disrespectful of what Roger did over a 52 week period....

It's been between Fed and Novak...how come rafa is in to the No.1 picture anyway? Whn was the last time Rafa won a title out of clay? How many titles did rafa win outside of clay in the last 2 years? and you talk about Rafa somehow helping roger get to No.1 by loosing in the 2nd round at wimbledon when rafa isn't even the No.1 player? Show some respect and it doesn't depend on 1 tournament's outcome....You don't get to No.1 by LUCK...
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #1541
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth79 View Post
Its no more than 50/50. Nole ahead in the race after taking advantage of the weak field in Canada. Also Roger said in a pre-tournament interview in Cincy that if the number 1 ranking was the most important thing he would have gone to Canada. I think his goal was to retake #1, not necessarily retain it at all costs. I think the most important thing in his mind now is to peak for USO/Basel/YEC.
Good post. Federer will probably wind up not playing Monte Carlo, Toronto, and one of Paris/Shanghai. Djokovic will probably play all of them which means it will be very, very difficult to finish #1 unless Djokovic really falters. IF Federer wins Cincy, it will be a 50-50 proposition until the end of the season. If Djokovic wins the title here, he's in the catbird's seat for YE #1 unleass he loses in the QF or earlier at the USO, and I can't see that happening.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #1542
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Good post. Federer will probably wind up not playing Monte Carlo, Toronto, and one of Paris/Shanghai. Djokovic will probably play all of them which means it will be very, very difficult to finish #1 unless Djokovic really falters. IF Federer wins Cincy, it will be a 50-50 proposition until the end of the season. If Djokovic wins the title here, he's in the catbird's seat for YE #1 unleass he loses in the QF or earlier at the USO, and I can't see that happening.
We'll know more after USO. If Federer wins Cincy and then USO off Murray in the final, he would have a commanding lead, and can afford dropping another Masters. And Djokovic losing once to Fed and once to Murray wouldn't in my mind constitute "really faltering".
Litotes is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #1543
country flag kenneth79

kenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond reputekenneth79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juninhOH View Post
Weird that you think that way when Roger won his #1 back considering a 52-week period. Saying Roger wouldn't be able to do it if Nadal hadn't "helped him" (by losing a tennis match) is kinda arrogant imo.
Agreed. This is total bullshit! If Nadal`s body keeps breaking down at irregular intervals it`s no more than he should expect considering his style of play. You can`t keep playing that style without expecting some consequences.

If we were to go down that road then Nadal only reached #1 in 2008 because Feds play was hampered by after-effects of mono for a significant portion of the year.

Also like Murray , Tsonga , Nalbandian
kenneth79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #1544
country flag Minnie

Minnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond reputeMinnie has a reputation beyond repute

^^^
Exactly! Surprised to read that comment from Karin in all honesty. The sort of thing I'd expect to read in the media, of course

To be honest, I get sick of reading about Nadal's knees .... we always seem to hear about them some time after a "shock loss". Well, for me it wasn't a shock loss - Rosol would have beaten any of the other top 3 guys that playing the way he was.

Roger deserves 100% credit and respect for what he's done to get back to No 1 .. no if's, no but's ....
Minnie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #1545
country flag Greenday

Greenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond reputeGreenday has a reputation beyond repute

Fed is now guaranteed to stay No.1 for 3 more weeks (until the end of US Open)...then it obviously will depend on Novak's and Fed's results during US Open.