Federer's ranking discussion - Page 102 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #1516
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federer's ranking discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by duarte_a View Post
I think the year ending #1 might be out of roger's hands simply because of the tournaments Roger might skip. Roger may skip Toronto, Shanghai and maybe Paris (as basel, paris and WTf are back to back whch is INSANE).

If djokovic plays Toronto, Shanghai and Paris, and Roger skips them, he'll have a shot at gaining 3000 points max over Roger.
I don't know why we should assume Djokovic will play everything while Fed skips three Masters. If Federer needs to rest, so will Djokovic. He is not known for playing every week, in fact he has played less tournaments in the past 12 months. Paris is one thing, as it probably cannot be combined with Basel Djoko will play and Fed won't. But that could be just 500 points (If we assume a Basel W for Fed and a Paris W for Djoko). As for the rest, I don't see why Djokovic would play more unless he gets a really bad result somewhere and thus more free time, and that would limit his upside potential.

And, of course, Djokovic is one for five so far in the Masters season, so assuming he will win everything Fed doesn't enter is a stretch.

I hope very much for a sixth year end #1. If Fed wins US Open I believe he will always have at least a shot in the WTF. Even without it he has chances, certainly if it should be won by Murray or someone else besides Djokovic & Nadal.

Last edited by Litotes : 07-20-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #1517
country flag Mystique

Mystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond reputeMystique has a reputation beyond repute

If Roger manages to finish this year Number 1 (he will likely have to win 2 of Olympics, WTF and USO - if not all three given he is likely to skip/tank at least a couple of Masters given their timing), I will consider it as one of his greatest achievements. I do believe he has a chance.
First stop, London, Lets win the Gold Rog
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #1518
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and he has the Davis cup play-off in the Netherlands, and the exhibitions in south America in november ; but well I don't think he will play in Shanghai
Yeah, I don't recall any of us thinking that anything after Basel would matter.

Why not cancel and reschedule the EXHOs and run them in February? Sure it would suck for Latin America, but if he stood up and said "I'm fighting to regain year end number 1", surely they would understand?

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF
Sweet, Sassy, Sophisticated

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
JediFed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1519
country flag sunsfuns

sunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond reputesunsfuns has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
If Roger manages to finish this year Number 1 (he will likely have to win 2 of Olympics, WTF and USO - if not all three given he is likely to skip/tank at least a couple of Masters given their timing), I will consider it as one of his greatest achievements. I do believe he has a chance.
First stop, London, Lets win the Gold Rog
If he wins USO or at least does better than Djokovic and Nadal then I give 75% probability of it happening. Besides I don't think Roger will skip/tank as much as some of you think. Canada almost for sure, but I don't think Nole will play there either (and if he does then will be an easy pray a week later in Cincinnati). Paris is unlikely because of schedule, but Djokovic is not going to exhaust himself a week before WTF either. Beijing he will play, I think.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #1520
country flag Massimoexp

Massimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond reputeMassimoexp has a reputation beyond repute

If murray beats djokovic in the semi final ; will Federer secures the number one spot , whatever the result of final match is ?
Massimoexp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #1521
country flag JediFed

JediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond reputeJediFed has a reputation beyond repute

Today secures Roger's number one through to Shanghai. 300+ weeks. Now the fight for world number one is on. If Federer can win the Olympics, that's a big jump up for him (around 300+ point lead) over Novak.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

"Love has nothing to do with what you're expecting to get, only what you're expecting to give - which is everything. What you receive in return varies, but that really has no connection with why you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." - K. Hepburn.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1522
country flag NYCtennisfan
Fed Fo Mod

NYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond reputeNYCtennisfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
Today secures Roger's number one through to Shanghai. 300+ weeks. Now the fight for world number one is on. If Federer can win the Olympics, that's a big jump up for him (around 300+ point lead) over Novak.
Technically, only through Toronto 1000 unless Djokovic withdraws from that tournament.
NYCtennisfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #1523
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtennisfan View Post
Technically, only through Toronto 1000 unless Djokovic withdraws from that tournament.
Another good reason for us Roger fans to wish for JMDP to give Djoko a massive beatdown in the match for the bronze medal.

Sorry, I know I'm being mean, here.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #1524
country flag JediFed

Quote:
Sorry, I know I'm being mean, here.
After all teh crap Djoko's 'fans' dumped on you, I don't blame you. Nothing would satisfy me more then seeing him go home with nothing!

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

Old 08-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #1525
country flag Sunset of Age
Anathemaniac

Sunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond reputeSunset of Age has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFed View Post
After all teh crap Djoko's 'fans' dumped on you, I don't blame you. Nothing would satisfy me more then seeing him go home with nothing!
Nah... you know, I still have pretty good contacts with certain SENSIBLE Djokovic fans, and I do not want to see them friendly folks being thrown on the same heap as the... okay, you know who I mean, the kind of rabid trolls.
Fuming with hatred because of a certain OTHER player being able to achieve what their 'hero' could not - at least not as of yet, and perhaps never...

I've experienced it before, though, not just with Djokotards.

I appear to have a sort of a problem with any kind of an overzealous 'player-tard', whoever the player may be.

Am I still here? As one, with The Fear?
Am I still alive? I'm still f*cking ... Here...!"

"The Storm Before The Calm"

Anathema

Into music of the PROG-Dorky-kind? visit my blog or MTF's Prog Rock Thread.
Sunset of Age is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #1526
country flag JediFed

Quote:
I still have pretty good contacts with certain SENSIBLE Djokovic fans, and I do not want to see them friendly folks being thrown on the same heap as the... okay, you know who I mean, the kind of rabid trolls.
Hence the quote marks around 'fan'.

Sunset of Age
She's MY Miss MTF

Old 08-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #1527
country flag zattorc

zattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the Olympics, like the Davis Cup, do not count towards the requirement of playing a minimum of four ATP 500 tournaments per year.

This means that Roger will again get a 0-pointer penalty for Tokyo, as he will have participated in only three 500 this year, and hence not be able to count his 90 points from Doha.

Am I right?
zattorc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1528
country flag mlrf11

Location: That soft pink cloud where "my avatar" sent me. ♡ ♡ ♡
mlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond reputemlrf11 has a reputation beyond repute

I don'tn know this but the olympics mad lose him 90 points from Doha. It was as he played one more tournament and as he played more than 18 tournaments he lost what he did in Doha.
17 7 ⓇⒻ = Ⓣⓗⓔ ⓉⒺⓃⓃⒾⓈ #1 302

♡ ☼ ❤ ⓇⓄⒼⒺⓇ ❤ ☼ ♡
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
* Haas * Dimitrov * Tsonga * Wawrinka *
The "Who plays tennis?" thread
mlrf11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #1529
country flag Litotes
ALT-0

Litotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond reputeLitotes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zattorc View Post
My understanding is that the Olympics, like the Davis Cup, do not count towards the requirement of playing a minimum of four ATP 500 tournaments per year.

This means that Roger will again get a 0-pointer penalty for Tokyo, as he will have participated in only three 500 this year, and hence not be able to count his 90 points from Doha.

Am I right?
Yes, this is correct. He will once again get 0 from Tokyo - unless he actually plays there. And the 90 from Doha will not be counted.
Litotes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #1530
country flag zattorc

zattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond reputezattorc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying, Litotes!
zattorc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote