Are you vegetarian??.. - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 04-21-2004, 07:34 AM   #1
country flag Hangdog

Hangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond reputeHangdog has a reputation beyond repute
Question Are you vegetarian??..

What're points and reasons?..
I haven't been but going to become..

Nicolas Devilder

Hangdog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
country flag Kristen
MTF. Never changes!

Kristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond reputeKristen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Are you vegetarian??..

I'm a vegetarian, but not Vegan. I don't eat any meat (includes seafood) and I don't eat things made mostly from eggs. (If it's a cake or biscuit, I'll eat it, but I don't eat omelettes basically. I'll eat eggs if I ever have my own chickens. I do drink milk, but don't eat/drink other dairy products often.

My reasons are:
1. It's flesh. That disgusts me. I havent had Beef/red meats since I was 14, or Chicken since I was 19 (Im 22 now). I'd be biting into my food & think
"hang on;this was alive not so long ago. It was a life. Now it's just 'food'?"

2. Animal Welfare point of view - I've seen the way these animals are treated (in terms on enclosures, cramped conditions etc). You see things like the Cormo Express drama on the news (in Aus), where Kuwait, or some nearby country wouldnt accept our livestock, so heaps of sheep were stranded on a cramped ship, in the middle of the ocean, in searing heat, for weeks on end. The conditions were appalling.

3. I try to think of all things equally. I treat my dog, and other animals, just as I'd treat any reasonable human being - with respect. I mean, I see the
'personality' my dog has, and even my crayfish has cute quirks about it. And I think about an animal (chicken/cow) as also having these characteristics.

Now, to see it from the other point of view, I don't disagree with eating animals. I just disagree with the way we farm them purely for our own pleasure; just to eat, and think nothing of. I can understand however, people that need to hunt for animals to survive. And I'm fine with that. It just saddens me the way we farm these animals, on a special "diet" to make them larger, faster, and become a better meal. check out the aussie animal liberation website for australia for more info if you like. They show the natural growth rates for chickens, compared to some farming standards.

I guess I'm so passionate about this, because I'm studying conservation at uni, but I'll end up working at a place like WWF or IFAW if I play my cards right, and I adore animals; and I don't like knowing of animals in pain

♥Jonas Björkman Jim Thomas♥
Larsson ~ Legner ~ Scheffers ~ Kruszelnicki ~ Cattaneo ~ Jonsson ~ Andersson
Kristen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
country flag Neely
-

Neely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond reputeNeely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you vegetarian??..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkman_Girl
I just disagree with the way we farm them purely for our own pleasure; just to eat, and think nothing of.
yes, that's indeed true

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:36 PM   #4
Conan the Librarian

Conan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond reputeConan the Librarian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkman_Girl
I'll end up working at a place like WWF
Conan never took Bjorkman_Girl for a wrestling fan.
Conan the Librarian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

I am not a vegetarian, but my sister is and therefore we often eat vegetarian meals, often prepared by me but that's off-topic lol. I am not complaining at all, because a lot of times the food is of good quality and especially in for example spaghetti you don't really taste the difference between meat loaf and vegetarian replacers.

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:23 AM   #6
bobblehat

bobblehat will become famous soon enough

I am going vegetarian slowly and gradually, have reduced meat intake right down, vegetarian sausages I like a lot and can live without meat as I dont eat it a lot, I am planning to stop eating meat altogether from my next birthday which is in a few days.

Mainly for reasons Bjorkman girl mentioned, its the conditions in which the animals are kept and the way they are virtually factory produced just for human consumption.

Also the benefits healthwise, vegetables and no cholerestal can only increase chances of a longer lifespan.
bobblehat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:19 AM   #7
country flag MisterQ

MisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond reputeMisterQ has a reputation beyond repute

I have gone through several stages of vegetarianism in my life.

STAGE 1: Real lacto-ovo-ichthyo(?)(lol). For several years I was a pretty good boy. I ate fish, but otherwise stuck to plant foods and dairy. I was thinner, healthier. Less muscular, though...

STAGE 2: "An American in Budapest" Ever been to Hungary? Even the side dishes there are pure meat. I hear the life expectancy there is the lowest in Europe. Vienna posed some similar challenges.

STAGE 3: "McDonald's vegetarian" Ate couscous until I was bored out of my mind, and then ran off for illicit burger runs with my friend Katy.

STAGE 4: Current stage. Vegetarian between meals.
MisterQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:30 AM   #8
bobblehat

bobblehat will become famous soon enough

Vegetarianism is not practical for some people, I would never expect a boxer for example to train on a bowl of Muesli. also peoples matabilisms are so different, some people need more protein than others, I can survive on a salad sandwich all day without feeling tired or lethergic.

I like your quote mr Q "vegetarian between meals" lol
bobblehat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:30 AM   #9
country flag Smankyou

Smankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond reputeSmankyou has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a meat eater to the max. My family would dis-own me otherwise. lol

Bjorkman girl, just wondering if you wear leather (shoes, jackets etc)?

Mister Q, stage 4 sounds good to me.
Smankyou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:24 AM   #10
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Mister Q

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers

Old 04-24-2004, 01:07 PM   #11
country flag Peta Pan
Same as it ever was

Peta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond reputePeta Pan has a reputation beyond repute

About 10 years ago I went vegetarian for about a year. Unfortunately it left me rather unwell. I really needed the protein intake and since I have a yeast allergy it meant I also couldn't eat mushrooms for extra protein. As for the meat replacement products... EEEW. I tried the vegetarian sausages once and they nearly made me throw up. I tried a few other products which I also had no luck with. Tofu is nice though - I love it!!!

These days I am very much a meat eater. I know about all the conditions that Bjorkman Girl mentioned (and I'm sure she will remind me of them while I'm staying with her next week ) but I try not to think about them while I'm eating meat. Some meats are harder than others though - I still can't bring myself to eat veal or lamb (they are babies afterall )
Peta Pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 01:25 PM   #12
country flag sam

sam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond reputesam has a reputation beyond repute

I tried it for a month but it made me feel tired- I wasn't getting enough Iron.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #13
country flag Lucie

Lucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond reputeLucie has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not, but i don't eat that much meat, my mum is a vegetarian and so is my auntie and my granny so therefore i'm used to eating vegetarian food, if i go to a restuarant i choose the vegetarian option, because in general i think that vegetarian food is far healthier and far tastier!
Lucie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #14
MONSOON season.

Quote:
As for the meat replacement products... EEEW
Well, since you have an allergy and a lot of replacement products are made of some sort of mushroom, this must've been a bad option anyway

Quote:
I still can't bring myself to eat veal or lamb (they are babies afterall )
I have this same problem.. Can't eat that at all! Won't eat pork either usually, but that's just because it's not tasty

Old 04-24-2004, 05:53 PM   #15
country flag Billabong

Billabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond reputeBillabong has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not!

Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic

Tommy Haas - Viktor Troicki - Mikhail Youzhny - Lleyton Hewitt - Janko Tipsarevic - Stanislas Wawrinka - Grigor Dimitrov

Tennis Matches on DVDs Website
Billabong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote