57K views 543 replies 47 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 · (Edited)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~

DUDI

See less See more
Reactions: Maia
#28 · (Edited)
He deserves a mention at the moment, cutting through the rankings like a knife through butter, currently at his highest ranking of 124. He is taking advantage of some really weak Russian challengers, but his play has definitely improved. With virtually zero points to defend until the end of the year, he will soon enter the top-100 and will have opportunities to play ATP level events.

Edit: Looks like I jinxed him because he lost to youngster Ivan Sergeyev in Saransk.

#31 ·
:worship: From the Davis Cup site:
Israel wins epic tie to claim World Group spot
Dudi Sela was Israel's hero again as he defeated Fernando Gonzalez 46 76(5) 57 76(7) 63 in a nailbiting contest lasting one minute over five hours, to give Isarel an unassailable 3-1 lead in this Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Play-off tie against Chile.

That means that Israel will line up in the World Group in 2008 for the first time since 1994- and the nation's women will also be in Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group I next year.

Sela, ranked 105, produced an astonishing upset in defeating world No. 6 Fernando Gonzalez on Sunday. It was another extraordinary event in a World Group tie that saw a dramatic first day end level at 1-1, followed by an epic doubles on Saturday that Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram edged 10-8 in the fifth set over Gonzalez and Nicolas Massu. It was a weekend that proved again that Davis Cup has its own rules.

Gonzalez began solidly

Knowing that he had to win the match against Sela to keep alive Chile’s hopes of retaining World Group status, Gonzalez began in solid fashion and one break in the seventh game was enough to take the first set 6-4.

The second set was a see-saw affair and although Gonzalez was the first to break to go up 3-0, Sela broke back in the sixth game. He took the set to a tiebreaker, in which he was the better player and took it 7-3.

Gonzalez was dominant in the third set and a break at 5-all eventually gave him the set 7-5. There were no breaks in the fourth set, so another tiebreak loomed. Sela held on by his fingernails to take it 8-6 and so force a fifth set.

At this stage, Sela looked much the fresher and one break of Gonzalez’s serve at 3-2 was enough. Sela won the fifth set 63 to spark wild celebrations at Israel’s advance to the World Group for the first time since 1994.

Sela overcome by emotion

Sela couldn’t find the words to describe his emotions and said through tears: “It’s an amazing feeling. There’s nothing I can say to describe it in words. This is definitely the happiest day of my life.

“We made an amazing achievement, for the tennis in Israel and for the all nation. I just want to get some rest now. I can't breathe.”

Israel captain Eyal Ran summarised the atmosphere in one sentence by saying: “There is one king in Israel at this moment and his name is Dudi Sela.:awww:
"It’s amazing. We beat one of the top teams in the world but we believed for all the way that it is possible.”

Gonzalez said: ”I was sure that we wiould win this one. Even when we were at 1-2 down I thought that we can come back. But I have to give the respect to the Israeli team that made a terrific job and left me dumbfounded.

“Sela is a great player and it’s a real mystery that he is 105 at the world ranking. He should be top 50.”

Paul Capdeville defeated Noam Okun 21 ret. in the dead fifth rubber to leave the final score Israel 3 Chile 2.

Israel: A World Group nation without a top 100 singles player

2008 will mark the first time since 1994 that Israel will play in the World Group, and it’s rare for a World Group nation not to have any top 100 players.

Chile meanwhile must face life in Americas Zone Group I, but with their talented team, few would bet against them having a shot at getting back into the World Group in the Play-offs this time next year.

#33 ·
:worship: From the Davis Cup site:
Israel wins epic tie to claim World Group spot

Dudi Sela was Israel's hero again as he defeated Fernando Gonzalez 46 76(5) 57 76(7) 63 in a nailbiting contest lasting one minute over five hours, to give Isarel an unassailable 3-1 lead in this Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Play-off tie against Chile.

Gonzalez began solidly

Knowing that he had to win the match against Sela to keep alive Chile’s hopes of retaining World Group status, Gonzalez began in solid fashion and one break in the seventh game was enough to take the first set 6-4.

The second set was a see-saw affair and although Gonzalez was the first to break to go up 3-0, Sela broke back in the sixth game. He took the set to a tiebreaker, in which he was the better player and took it 7-3.

Gonzalez was dominant in the third set and a break at 5-all eventually gave him the set 7-5. There were no breaks in the fourth set, so another tiebreak loomed. Sela held on by his fingernails to take it 8-6 and so force a fifth set.

At this stage, Sela looked much the fresher and one break of Gonzalez’s serve at 3-2 was enough. Sela won the fifth set 63 to spark wild celebrations at Israel’s advance to the World Group for the first time since 1994.
I've read that too, and I was shocked that the official site of the Davis Cup could put up such an amateur, mistaken match summary.
The most funny/bizzare/sad (pick your choice) thing is the report contradicts the match score, which they got right.

• 2nd set: Gonzalez led 3-1 - how could he lead 3-0 with a single break if he was serving the sixth game? (at least that part is correct)
  • Dudi won the tie-break 7-5, not 7-3 (and how could anyone not mention the between-the-legs point for 5-3?).
  • 3rd set: That is simply untrue. No word of the early break and the galant comeback. And the deciding break was of course at the last game.
  • 4th set: tie-break score was 9-7, not 8-6.
  • 5th set: the ultimate break came at 2-1, not 3-2. Again no mention of preceding events (the stolen break at 1-0).
It seems that the reporter haven't seen the match at all. This kind of organization cannot afford writing such a piece of crap. It makes them look unreliable.

Here are some links to Dudi-talk following this dreamy weekend:
Win over Massu:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=110324
Win over Gonzalez:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=110469
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=110470 (esp. post #15)
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=110464

Both wins set several all-time duration records:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=6042952#post6042952
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6054527#post6054527
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=89471

My Sela-Gonzalez match summary

There have been some interesting interviews with him on Monday, I will try to bring highlights for the non-Israeli fans asap.

#35 ·
He is in the final of Seoul Challenger against Economidis, if he loses he gains 45 net ranking points, if he wins 72. That means in the worst case he will rise to about 80 in the ATP rankings and if he wins he will go to about 73.

That's good news for him because he will be able to play ATP tournaments in the first half of next year.

#37 · (Edited)
Dudi reached Kaohsiung Challenger final where he lost to Yen-Hsun Lu 3/6 3/6.
His current ranking (#66) makes him eligible for direct entry into the main draw of ATP tournaments.

Keep it up, Dudi ! :yeah:

Good luck in Yokohama. :D

#38 ·
Dudi overcame his fatigue from playing two straight weeks and won Yokohama Challenger by defeating Takao Suzuki in the final 6/7(5) 6/4 6/2.

As for now, he is up to a career-high 63 in the latest rankings. :D

Have a nice rest, Dudi, and be properly prepared for the upcoming season. :cool:

#41 ·
Dudi, warming up for first round doubles in Adelaide.

Attachments

Reactions: Fee
#44 ·
That's what the Adelaide sun will do to you on a 40 degree day :shrug: ;)

Reactions: Scotso
#46 ·
Dudi's first round opponent in Auckland is Julien Benneteau.

Winnable match, I think. :D

His second round opponent is much tougher. Either Acasuso or Almagro.

Good luck, Dudi. :bounce:

#52 ·
Very, very pleased for Dudi. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.