Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rui MacHado "the Scottish Number 1" Cheering Thread

21K views 111 replies 20 participants last post by  Gil&becker 
#1 · (Edited)
Yes, I know Machado is not Scottish, and it's a play on his last name.

He had a good season this year and should be able to make the top 100 in 2010 barring injury, which impacted on his progress towards the end of 2009.

He won a couple of challengers in Meknes and Athens, plus he made the 2nd round of Roland Garros and lost to Crazy Koellerer in the first round of the US Open.

Machado is on the list for the AO qualies, hope he can play it and make the MD.

See less See more
#29 ·
He was at the ATP uni in Miami.

#30 ·
That's a reason, but still. It costs money, results in jetlags, and he loses his rhytm on clay which was very good the last weeks. He could have played Marrakech and gained many points there, more than he will get in Miami probably. Than he could have taken a week off and play the Italian challenger. Strange move.

#31 ·
Always whining you are. He has been over there for a while, it's not going to kill him.

#33 ·
Rui is back in Europe and will be playing in Napoli. As for Estoril, he will get a wildcard.

#35 ·
Rui is in the Napoli final after beating Golubev, he will either play Garcia or del Bonis.

#38 ·
Rui wins his 3rd challenger 6-4 6-4 over del Bonis.

#40 ·
Great Machado!!! You can call me a patriot, but i really think that Machado is a Top100 player. It's not going to happen that soon, cause he have to defend too many points, included in Roland Garros, where he came from the Quali to lose in the 2ºround. But in the end of the year i think he will be the 3rd portuguese to be in the top100...

#42 ·
As long as Rui is fit and can build on these results, then he can finish the year in the top 100.

#43 ·
I agree, is in the best form of his carrer... This week, just missed the top100 by only 2 places (102), but like you say, if he keep building this kind of results, he will be surely in top100 this year. Maybe he can be a surprise in some ATP 250 level in the clay. Hope he do well, especially in Estoril, i have faith in him!

Go Machado!!!:worship:

#44 ·
He has an aggressive game and an excellent forehand which can cause damage. Needs to get fitter, stronger and that comes with time, plus improving his shot selection.

If he can make RG directly it would be great.

#45 ·
It's not going to be easy, he won't play this week, and last year in this same week he won Athens Challeger. Means that that he surely will lose 100 points this week.

#49 ·
8th straight win for Rui! Let's make it 10th, and win another CH! And the Tunis and the great chance to shine: ESTORIL, in front of portuguese fans!:)

#50 ·
You going to go to Estoril?

#51 ·
I don't know yet. I have to see if it's financially and physical possible to go to Estoril. I live like 200km from Estoril and i don't know if i have transport. But if i do, surelly i will do a photo-report from the matches

#54 ·
Rui is playing Massu in the 1st round and if he wins this then he is playing Ljubicic in the next round.

#55 ·
Rui won 6-2 6-4 and now plays Ljubo.

#56 ·
Ljubo pulled out and was replaced by Przysiezny but he couldn't handle the MacHado and lost 6-4 6-4.

First ATP quarter final for him.

#57 ·
Rui got a good section and really should make it through.

MACHADO, Rui POR [3]
v DODIG, Ivan CRO
SIDORENKO, Alexandre FRA v ROCHETTE, Laurent FRA (W)
PATIENCE, Olivier FRA (W) v KNITTEL, Bastian GER
CLAR-ROSSELLO, Pedro ESP v RAMOS-VINOLAS, Albert ESP [27]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.