Which book do you currently read? - Page 118 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #1756
country flag berk

berk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which book do you currently read?

the idiot dostoyevsky....really good!!!
berk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 AM   #1757
country flag smitty8

smitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond repute

Special Heart: A Journey of Faith, Hope, Courage, and Love by Bret Baier, which I have just gotten to the part where he married his wife. This is the story about his son & his heart problems & surgeries, a story near and dear to my own little mended heart.
smitty8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #1758
country flag Delusionalist.

Delusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond reputeDelusionalist. has a reputation beyond repute

The Book Thief (Very good book so far)
A Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (Always interesting in reading an auto-biography who worked an important role in the abolitionist movement in the 1800's.
The Shining (Heard a lot about the book/movie, so why not see if it lives up to the great reviews.)
When we bash players, we should be reminded that they would kick all our butts on the court without losing a point.
Delusionalist. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:21 AM   #1759
country flag Pablo23

Pablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond repute

Poetry. "Misas Herejes"/"Heretic Mass" by Evaristo Carriego and "Los crepúsculos del jardín"/"The garden's twilights" by Leopoldo Lugones. Both early 20th century argentinian authors, both modernists. Carriego's is about the suburban life of Buenos Aires (circa 1900) and Lugones is an erotic portrait of a bourgeoisie marriage/relationship.
I... am not a fan of either, but some things can be rescued from them: namely, Carriego as trope-starter (his influence on subjects as Tango music and Borges' earlier works are well documentes) and from Lugones, his technical ability; his fantastic (and often intentionally obscure) vocabulary, and cleverly crafted rhymes.
I have to write a monograph on Lugones... would be easier if he was more interesting thematically though all those sonnets just blur together at some point.

Roger Federer - Stan Wawrinka - Jerzy Janowicz - Lleyton Hewitt - Dominic Thiem

TT Singles [ Gen. Rank: #135 / Best Rank: #131] [ Titles: - ] [ Finals: ATP Bastad '14 - Kaohsiung 14' ]
TT Doubles [ Gen. Rank: #163 / Best Rank: #163] [ Titles: León '14 ] [ Finals: New Delhi '14 - Busan '14 ] --> with MachineGun

Playing since Dec. 30 2013. Last Update July 28 2014

Last edited by Pablo23 : 06-25-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Pablo23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #1760
country flag MarkChan
Banned!

MarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond reputeMarkChan has a reputation beyond repute

Return to Freud by Samuel Weber
Lacan and the Concept of the Real by Tom Eyers
MarkChan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #1761
country flag Roger the Dodger

Roger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond reputeRoger the Dodger has a reputation beyond repute

The Story of Philosophy - Will Durant.

The book traces the origins of western philosophical thought from Plato and Aristotle to modern existential philosophy as we know it. Most importantly and eloquently, Will Durant also shows the impact of philosophy on the history of events. I have thus far, only finished the first 60 pages which were about Plato, and divulge details about "The Republic" with a prose that is deliciously easy on the eye. I could well be reading "The Great Gatsby" but for non-fiction, this is perhaps as good and easy as it gets for lay readers who want to learn more. Highly recommended as an intro into various philosophical ideas and ideals, and tons of clarity on general objects of philosophical discourse, such as metaphysics, ethics, aesthetics, physics, politics etc.

Students should grab a copy with gusto!
Down in the street little eddies of wind were whirling dust and torn paper into spirals, and though the sun was shining and the sky a harsh blue, there seemed to be no color in anything, except the posters that were plastered everywhere. The black mustachioed face gazed down from every commanding corner. There was one on the house-front immediately opposite.BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption said, while the dark eyes looked deep into Winston's own. Down at street level another poster, torn at one corner, flapped fitfully in the wind, alternately covering and uncovering the single word INGSOC. (1.1.4)
Roger the Dodger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #1762
country flag smitty8

smitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond reputesmitty8 has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got back to Rafa's book, which I started some time ago & misplaced. Whoops. This is what happens when you try to read 4 books at once.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #1763
country flag Pablo23

Pablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond reputePablo23 has a reputation beyond repute

"S/Z" by Roland Barthes. ugh, Structuralism. (also, within, Honore de Balzac's "Sarrasine" I like Balzac, enough said). I don't care for Barthes (even though it's my maternal grandmother's surname lol), and retained bugger all from his analysis. I just found it too basic, and the psychoanalytic fixation, hilarious. If I got a penny for everytime something was related to castration, I would have... many pennies

Also, Mukařovský's "Aesthetic Function, Norm and Value as Social Facts"... in which Formalism and Durkheim are thrown into a blender, left an hour or two... and, here we are. Nothing of great innovation was found. Perhaps it's because many of the things he says are just too widely accepted, and thus you just skim them.

Next: a million Literary theory texts. lovely.

Roger Federer - Stan Wawrinka - Jerzy Janowicz - Lleyton Hewitt - Dominic Thiem

TT Singles [ Gen. Rank: #135 / Best Rank: #131] [ Titles: - ] [ Finals: ATP Bastad '14 - Kaohsiung 14' ]
TT Doubles [ Gen. Rank: #163 / Best Rank: #163] [ Titles: León '14 ] [ Finals: New Delhi '14 - Busan '14 ] --> with MachineGun

Playing since Dec. 30 2013. Last Update July 28 2014

Last edited by Pablo23 : 07-10-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Pablo23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #1764
country flag emotion
Racquet smash enthusiast

emotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond reputeemotion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8 View Post
I finally got back to Rafa's book, which I started some time ago & misplaced. Whoops. This is what happens when you try to read 4 books at once.
I read it. It is seriously bad. Like, even if I liked Nadal I would have hated that book. Uninspired, robotic, plodding and probably 5% written by him.

Robredo, Matosevic, Estrella, Dolgopolov, Janowicz, Hanescu, Kukushkin, Gulbis, Rosol, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Starace, Stakhovsky, Brown, Zeballos, Herbert, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Monaco, Djokovic, Gonzalez
emotion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 AM   #1765
country flag smitty8

Yeah, sounds like he told someone things & the other person wrote it. Eh, I'll just finish it & see if I can get him to sign it at a tourney or something. At least it's not a long book. I wasn't expecting too much anyway, he's too young for a good autobiography. The best ones are from people much older.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:17 AM   #1766
country flag Loosie

Loosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond reputeLoosie has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Really good read, and well written. The basic premise is someone finds a portal into the past and decides to prevent the JFK assassination.
Loosie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote