Mens Tennis Forums banner

Toronto R2: Dimitrov def. Young 4-6, 6-2, 6-3

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  JimmyV 
#1 ·
Well I was waiting for this match and outside a Young victory got what I wanted it to be. His 2 losses recently are to those likely to win a slam if not next month, at Australia in January. I really thought he'd get straight setted but happy he didn't.

Dimitrov and Wawrinka could be great to see. As for Young, now the schedule question starts. He was supposed to have been off this week but Washington performance earned him a SE here and he showed fine. He'll need a week of rest before the US Open and I don't know where he'll get that week now. He's scheduled to play Cincy Q and then Winston Salem afterwards.

#22 ·
Expected result, their h2h was close and Young is in decent form while Dimi likely still finding his feet, DY got headcasey late though and gave away his opportunity at a top 10 win, Dimitrov was ripe here

#3 ·
Strange match really. Some nice passages of play, but the first two sets were complete donations. Dimitrov had 4-1, goes horribly awol and loses five games in a row. Second set Young breaks himself out of nowhere, four basic errors in a row, then at 2-5 five errors in a row.

Ultimately Young didn't have enough punch on his shots to hurt Dimitrov though, other than the occasionally clean early strike.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Don can be top 20.

#15 ·
Dimitrov really rusty, specially in the serve. Still win, which is a good thing. I doubt he'll beat Robredo in this form though, hopefully I'm wrong.

As for Young, he wasn't consistent enough today, but still two good weeks for him. It's a shame USTA gave Cincy'ss to some mugs like Querrey and Ginepri and not for him, who is much more deserved these days.

#16 ·
The Don played some very good points but in the end the way he lost was bad. At least he could've made Dimitrov work hard for it and raise his level but Dimitrov didn't have to, Young played terrible service games to give the breaks.

#17 ·
I didn't see the match, but 3 set vs Young :unsure:

at least he get through..

#19 ·
well. This young is difference that don't forget who just went to semi in DC

#18 ·
Dimitrov for sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.