Mens Tennis Forums banner

Toronto R2: Djokovic def. Monfils 6-2, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (2)

7K views 101 replies 71 participants last post by  Ace Pounder 
#1 · (Edited)
6-2, 6-7(4), 7-6 (2)

epic third set tiebreak from Monfils :worship:

#2 ·
Toronto R2: Djokovic fights past Monfils 6-2 6-7 7-6

Close one. Too close

Monfils was up 3-1 in the decider and had game point(s) to go up 4-1

I think Djokovic relaxed too much after that first set and underestimated Monfils. He could've lost this many times in that decider

But a win is a win and it's all that matters :yeah: Tsonga is next

#6 ·
Re: Toronto R2: Djokovic fights past Monfils 6-2 6-7 7-6

that was a sorry excuse for a match, Novače.

#50 ·
Butthurt mugertard realizes his idol won't win now.
Agreed. But the clown also won. Tennis would lose either way tbh.
Disgusting result. Crocodilovic escapes yet another match that he should have lost. Clownfils is a disgrace to this universe.
Butthurt cheatdulltards in tears & in ruins.

#28 ·
Re: Djokovic beats Clownfils

Explains the match really. :lol: I really don't get Monfils, really. He either allows players to control rallies or go overblown with ~10% winners. At first I thought he was already making his game solid during the start of the season but since IW I think (his loss against GGL?) it is back to Clownfils mode and is disappointing again when he could just make a good plan to return and find the right spot.

#10 ·
Re: Toronto R2: Djokovic fights past Monfils 6-2 6-7 7-6

Shame, just too passive when it mattered most from Monfils. Djokovic was ripe for the taking here, and Tsonga will have chances tomorrow

#12 ·
Re: Toronto R2: Djokovic beats Clownfils 6-2, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (2)

Well, it is "fun", I mean good points from both, but of course clowning here and there. I don't know what to say -- both didn't really utilize the opportunities they have, especially Monfils who broke in the 3rd Set. I think Djokovic had chances to break to serve it out but wasn't able to do it and did it erroneously many times. The TB came and the Monfils implosion just speaks for itself with just sloppy errors and Djokovic just wanting to win it and get over it.

#13 ·

Djokovic's rhythm got thrown pretty badly, perhaps by a combo of the wind and Monfils clowning.

Never really mattered though, because Monfils was terrified of winning. 3-1 in final set, chokes it straight back, then tight as a drum in the tiebreak.

#14 ·

Mods, you have promoted a thread that was not titled in the unofficial standard for match results. not cool.

#24 ·

Mods, you have promoted a thread that was not titled in the unofficial standard for match results. not cool.
The system does it automatically, at the click of a button. Things get sorted out after that, mate.

---

Djokovic's celebration at the end should put to end those who think he's going to tank this week.

#15 ·

Awesome match IMO. Other than some horrifyingly pushed backhands Monfils looked pretty good I thought. :shrug:

#17 ·
Re: Toronto R2: Djokovic def. Clownfils 6-2, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (2)

for amount of clowning produced in this match circus show looks like greek tragedy . Federer still stays only top player against whom Monfils won a close match, another out of reach Fed's record :yeah:

#21 ·
Not sure Nole wanted to tank or just rusty.

Gael as always an entertaining match. Could of won it but mental part was never his strong suit.

#22 ·
Monfils ended the match the way he started. Too loose in execution, and too pedestrian in intent.

His serve kept him in it throughout, but all the improvements he made from the baseline went away in the TB.

#23 ·
Clownovic vs clownfils :lol:

#29 ·

This match :lol:. It was entertaining though.

Hangoverovic is real :eek: :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.