Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which players will win the ATP Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship award? (excl. Federer)

• Novak Djokovic

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • David Ferrer

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Rafael Nadal

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Juan Martin del Potro

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Stan Wawrinka

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Vasek Pospisil

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Andy Murray

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Grigor Dimitrov

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Kei Nishikori

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Fabio Fognini

Votes: 12 15.8%

Which players will win the Sportsmanship award excluding Federer?

4K views 77 replies 45 participants last post by  ballbashingmug 
#1 · (Edited)
I think Novak Djokovic is one. He's toned down the over-the-top celebrations, he's showing more respect, applauds players good shots (he's done that for a long time), improved his time wasting (ball bouncing) between points and almost always gives a good net hug. :worship:

Respectfully,
masterclass

#2 ·
He should win but uncle Toni will call in a favour.

#13 ·
Last option! :confused:

Anyway, yes, the award should be given to Djoko. Federer himself doesn't deserve it more than Djokovic tbh. No big deal though.

#14 ·
Wehave planned to win at least 2 SEP Awards after Federer's retirement.

#15 ·
Dj,dp,dimi

#16 ·
Djokovic has improved but I'm sorry you're never going to win a sportsmanship when you have in the past torn apart your shirts in victory celebrations. that is the exact opposite of the definition of classy

Nadal should if anyone should. whether you believe it or not or claim he's just an act he certainly tries to behave respectfully and humbly on court.

I can't think of another player besides Nadal who I have no memory of destroy a racket or any article of tennis property. he is legendary regarding his sportsmanship and good attitude on court

#18 ·
Nadal should if anyone should. whether you believe it or not or claim he's just an act he certainly tries to behave respectfully and humbly on court.

I can't think of another player besides Nadal who I have no memory of destroy a racket or any article of tennis property. he is legendary regarding his sportsmanship and good attitude on court
What the fuck?

#21 ·
Fed comes to Canada in a shirt that says: "Betterer" and they all applaud, oh he is so humble and a great classy gentleman :facepalm:

Fed could mouth off to officials, curse repeatedly, insult people, cheat, yell into the crowd and they'd still give him this award. Oh wait...

#22 ·
Truth.

#27 ·
The one and only, Rafael nadal, the goat, the humble, the fighter, the inspiring, the unbeatable, the hero, we all love you rafa. Get well soon.

#31 ·
Djokoking conceded a big point against Gulbis at the french this year--even Gulbis was stunned. Not the first time that No1e's done this. Djokovic doesn't care about Miami at this point, and it was a misunderstanding with Murphy.

Reactions: Sham Kay Adams
#34 ·
Where's the option for Federer? I'll hold off voting...

#35 ·
Novak Djokovic has a great year in 2014
so.................

#38 ·
djokovic? :spit:

yeah Miami was a great example of his "class"

#40 ·
Nadal has already won it in 2010.

I'd give this award to a lower ranked player (I don't like the fact that they tend to focus on top players) but given that it usually does go to a top player, I can very well picture Djokovic or Murray getting that award one year too.

#41 ·
Djokovic is a good candidate.

To be fair, as bad as he has been a winner (at times) over the years, he's been, for almost as long, an extremely gracious competitor.

From turning over points to applauding winners to passing out compliments like muffins from a hand-basket.

When topics like sportsmanship and professionalism come up, I'll never forget the way he and Roddick treated each other at the '09 AO just after their fallout months prior.

All that said, I think Del Potro easily takes the cake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.