Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#58 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

I have 2 stupid questions:

1. Is/was there a player who played double-handed FH or, in other words, played BH from FH side?
2. Is/was there a player who played a FH from both sides (holding in with 2 hands and picking which one to hit FH with)?

#60 ·

1. Is/was there a player who played double-handed FH or, in other words, played BH from FH side?
Raemon Sluiter, and of course Marion Bartoli in women's side.

#59 ·

Player A hits his first serve. If Player B hits a screaming fast crosscourt return, so much so that Player A cannot even react and is stuck in the middle of the court, can Player A then challenge his own first serve?
Player A didn't (or couldn't) make a motion towards the return, so can it be argued that he stopped play after his serve – and get a replay or a second serve?

#63 ·

Player A hits his first serve. If Player B hits a screaming fast crosscourt return, so much so that Player A cannot even react and is stuck in the middle of the court, can Player A then challenge his own first serve?
Player A didn't (or couldn't) make a motion towards the return, so can it be argued that he stopped play after his serve – and get a replay or a second serve?
He can challenge but he wouldn't get replay of the first serve in any situation. If the serve was out, he would get a second serve.

#61 ·

Don't forget Iliya Bozoljac (some guy above me even posted a link to his match at Wimby).

#64 ·

Now Wimby and earlier this year AO had their finals finished under roof. Have there been any other GS finals played (partly) indoors?

#65 ·

Why do they call it "let" when a serve hits the net and falls in the service box? Cause they'll "let" him do it again?

I always thought they were saying "net" which makes much more sense to me but recently I noticed they're saying "let".....

#66 ·

SQ about draws. Have I understood the draw system correctly?

#1 & #2 are on different halfs.
#3 & #4 are drawn to #1 & #2's halfs.
#5 to #8 are drawn to #1 to #4's quarters.
#9 to #16 are drawn to #1 to #8's eighths.
#17 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #16's sixteenths. I remember also reading somewhere #25 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #8 and's sixteenths and #17 to #24 are drawn to #9 to #16's sixteenths.

And, if a seeded player withdraws, #n takes the place of #n-1 in the draw with #33 taking the place of #32.

#67 ·

SQ about draws. Have I understood the draw system correctly?

#1 & #2 are on different halfs.
#3 & #4 are drawn to #1 & #2's halfs.
#5 to #8 are drawn to #1 to #4's quarters.
#9 to #16 are drawn to #1 to #8's eighths.
#17 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #16's sixteenths. I remember also reading somewhere #25 to #32 are drawn to #1 to #8 and's sixteenths and #17 to #24 are drawn to #9 to #16's sixteenths.

And, if a seeded player withdraws, #n takes the place of #n-1 in the draw with #33 taking the place of #32.
By the time it reaches the bolded part, I believe it gets totally random. I could be wrong though. But the rest of its seems correct.

#78 ·

How do tournaments and tv networks decide which players' name goes on top and on the bottom when displaying the score? Is there a consistent metric?
I have always assumed it is in the order on the drawsheet, but I have never checked!

#77 ·

Why did they switch from White balls, is it easier to see green on tv?

#79 ·

Why'd they get rid of carpet tennis courts?

#80 ·

Why'd they get rid of carpet tennis courts?
Surface homogenisation by the ATP. Carpet didnt fit the bill, it was too fast and good :sad:

Reactions: Freak3yman84
#88 ·

Why does Olympic Gold give 750 points? I think it's at least as prestigious as an M1000 title.

#89 ·

It's halfway through a Masters and a ATP 500. I think it's appropriate. Not everyone is eligible to participate, so it only makes sense to limit the gain. You also cannot defend the points. And it's not really that prestigious. It's coveted yes, prestigious - not really.

#90 ·

This is really stupid but I need to know:

At Wimbledon (the GS) do they interview the players RIGHT AFTER the game? On their way out from the court?
And they did this at OG? With both winners and losers?

#91 ·

This is really stupid but I need to know:

At Wimbledon (the GS) do they interview the players RIGHT AFTER the game? On their way out from the court?
And they did this at OG? With both winners and losers?
On court interviews do happen, but not always.
This should clear you question, atleast as to what is permitted:

"The 2012 ATP Official Rulebook",pg.167(pg.84 of the pdf):
VIII. THE CODE

p) Media Conference

i) All players scheduled to play on televised courts will be required, if requested,
to perform a pre-match TV interview on the day of the match (not
to exceed 2 minutes in total). The interview may be conducted at either
the player’s practice court or as the players approach the court for walk-on

as determined by the host and player’s national broadcasters.

ii) All players who win during a televised match will be required to perform
on court TV interviews, if requested, with the host and player’s national
broadcaster(s) for that match (not to exceed 5 minutes in total).

iii) All players will be required to perform post-match radio and TV news
service interviews directly following the post-match press conference (not
to exceed 10 minutes in total). If there is no post-match press conference,
the interviews will need to take place within 30 minutes of the conclusion
of their match.

iv) Unless injured and physically unable to appear, a player or team must
attend the post-match media conference organized within thirty (30) minutes
after the conclusion of each match whether the player or team was
the winner or loser, unless such time is extended by the supervisor for
good cause. Post-match media obligations include two (2) interviews,
with the host and player’s national broadcasters. This rule shall also apply
to matches won or lost as a result of a withdrawal or retirement.
I assume it should be the same for ITF events. Couldn't find anything mentioned in the "2012 ITF Rules of Tennis" or the "2012 ITF Pro Circuit Regulations"

#99 ·
How does the type of the court matter in tennis?

I know, this may be a silly question for some here. But, many of us don't know it properly, and many among of us take it granted that...
* Federer is good at Grass Court,
* Nadal is good at Clay,
* Djokovic is good at Hard-courts.

But... Why is it like that? How does the type of court matters a player? or at the end... how does it influence the match result?

I know, many of us keep talking about this, but whats the real reason behind it when all player play with same racquet in all different courts. Please elaborate since i don't know the answer for this question.

#103 ·
Re: How does the type of the court matter in tennis?

I know, this may be a silly question for some here. But, many of us don't know it properly, and many among of us take it granted that...
* Federer is good at Grass Court,
* Nadal is good at Clay,
* Djokovic is good at Hard-courts.

But... Why is it like that? How does the type of court matters a player? or at the end... how does it influence the match result?

I know, many of us keep talking about this, but whats the real reason behind it when all player play with same racquet in all different courts. Please elaborate since i don't know the answer for this question.

I said sorry in my post ... btw ON-topic
The three of them play THREE different grips (forehand and backhand)
SO For fed The higher the ball is the harder it is ...
for nadal the lower it is the harder it is (I KNOW THEY BOTH CAN DO the respective shots but they aren't as good as the other CAUSE of the grip every grip has advantages/disadvantages)
I'm saying it cause every surface has different bounce :)

#100 ·

:silly:
Begone from this place spawn of darkness ! :facepalm:
How can even exist such a person that asks this question is beyond me.
Do you have a feel for spacial dimensions or something ?
UP/DOWN ?
Faster/Slower ?
oh god where is Hian to help me with his GIF "I can't"
Sorry for this reply but really i can't do something other than
:spit:

#102 ·

:silly:
Begone from this place spawn of darkness ! :facepalm:
How can even exist such a person that asks this question is beyond me.
Do you have a feel for spacial dimensions or something ?
UP/DOWN ?
Faster/Slower ?
oh god where is Hian to help me with his GIF "I can't"
Sorry for this reply but really i can't do something other than
:spit:
Seems like you knew it by Birth! Whao!

I mentioned it's silly, you need not say that again. No Offense ;)
To be honest, I think movement is the most important. Nadal clearly moves the best on a clay court. Federer knows how to navigate his way around a grass court, and Djokovic is most at home on a hard court. Not to say that Fed can't move on clay or Nadal can't move on grass or Djokovic can't move on clay, but Nole slipped a lot at Wimbledon and Olympics. Nadal's body can't take the pounding of a hard court, and even Fed struggles a bit with his movement on clay, at least compared to other guys.

If you move well, you get to the ball in time or early, time to set up your shots, and be confident in your game.
Oh! Thank You... Why don't they play well in the same way in all the courts. I mean, is it so difficult to learn 'how not to slip' in other courts?

+1

#101 ·

To be honest, I think movement is the most important. Nadal clearly moves the best on a clay court. Federer knows how to navigate his way around a grass court, and Djokovic is most at home on a hard court. Not to say that Fed can't move on clay or Nadal can't move on grass or Djokovic can't move on clay, but Nole slipped a lot at Wimbledon and Olympics. Nadal's body can't take the pounding of a hard court, and even Fed struggles a bit with his movement on clay, at least compared to other guys.

If you move well, you get to the ball in time or early, time to set up your shots, and be confident in your game.

#104 ·

Movement, speed and bounce - three things.

And Fed never struggles on clay. The same movement, it can be seemed in comparison with Nadal and Djokovic (move there better), but speaking only about him it is false impression.

#106 ·

In the 1970/80s when not all top players played Australia was it still called a Grand Slam? And did top players ever talking about winning all 4 'slams'?

If not when did the usage of the term grand slam become common in tennis, and what changed that made Australia suddenly so prestigious?

#109 ·

In the 1970/80s when not all top players played Australia was it still called a Grand Slam? And did top players ever talking about winning all 4 'slams'?

If not when did the usage of the term grand slam become common in tennis, and what changed that made Australia suddenly so prestigious?
Australian was prestigious tournament, but well - the same can be said about some "500" current tournaments. Was it at least 4-th the most important? No, strongest players were playing Masters in that weeks and I believe it was 4-th Slam those days. I can advice you to read Mcenroe`s book.

Journlist John Kieran is widely credited with first applying the term "grand slam" to tennis, to describe the winning of all four major tennis tournaments in a calendar year almost eighty years ago. About so prestigious can`t say 100% correct, but from early 1980-s top players began participating there again. Maybe it wasn`t reason, but consequence - don`t know.