Mens Tennis Forums banner

Favorite Movies

17K views 464 replies 157 participants last post by  casillas_girl 
#1 ·
Just curious what everyone's tastes in movies are. :) Maybe people can get good recommendations from this (I know I'm looking for some recommendations lol).

My favorites are:

Amélie
What Dreams May Come
Meet Joe Black
Fools Rush In
Shrek 1 and 2 :p
Moulin Rouge
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
And as of today: Frida :)

#77 ·
Back to the Future (1985)
Back to the Future II (1989)
Back to the Future III (1990)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Home Alone (1990)
Home Alone II (1992)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
Clue (1985)
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)

On the subject of movies, I saw "National Lampoon's European Vacation" for the first time last night, and really enjoyed it. I loved the parts where they knocked Stonehenge over...and stayed with the wrong relatives in Germany and ended up getting chased...and then Ellen getting kidnapped in Rome...and then the bit where they're arriving back in America and flying over New York and Clark is inadvertently responsible for causing some damage to the Statue of Liberty.

I think it'd be really fun to go on holiday with the Griswolds.

#78 ·
oneandonlyhsn said:
My favs, so many and in no particular order

Yojimbo

Ran
Seven Samurai (big Akira Kurosawa :worship: fan)
Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind
Godfather 1 and 2
Goodfellas
Scarface
To Kill a Mockingbird
Taxi Driver
Requiem for a Dream
Reservoir Dogs
Jackie Brown (A very underrater Tarantino movie)
Mulholland Drive
Ahh Mulholland Drive. I very much wanted to like that movie and during parts of it I thought I was, and then I just got completely confused, realized I had no idea what was going on and then gave up.

#82 · (Edited)
My # 1 passion is MOVIES. I really wanted to be a director, mainly documentaries, but did not get the chance. My list of favorite movies is quite long. I can't really just pick a few. So, whenever, I will post some and keep posting whenever other come to mind:

(In no special order)

Life is beautiful
The Sound of Music
Tess
A Trip to Bountiful
The Turning Point
Irma La Douce
Les Choristes
Les Uns et les Autres
An Affair to Remember
The Great Escape
The Eagle Has Landed
Mayerling
Indochine
Pillow Talk
The Godfather Trilogy
The Color Purple
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Goodbye Girl
Scaramouche
The Little Hut
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World
Being There
The Party
E.T
Brubaker
The Natural
Ordinary People
The Great Gatsby
The Way We Were
Hannover Street
Indiana Jones (except #2)
Beverly Hills Cop
Coming to America
Anger Management
Witness
The Year of Living Dangerously
Dirty Dancing
Tim
Mrs. Soffel
Terms of Endearment
Tender Mercies
Grease
Get Shorty
Grey Owl

Added:

The Sting
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Kaleidascope
Reds
Bonnie & Clyde
Howards End
Goodbye Mr. Chips
The Paper Chase
Serpico
Rocky
The Name of the Rose
The Untouchables
Field of Dreams
Raging Bull
The Deer Hunter
Awakenings
Ghost
Sister Act
The French Connection
The Man Who Would Be King
Roman Holidays
Sabrina (Both, the old & the remake)
Magic
The Elephant Man
Midnight Express
Legends of the Falls
Amistad
Philadelphia
Shadowlands
Regarding Henry
Frantic
The Accidental Tourist
I Am Sam
American Gigolo
Atlantic City
The Witches of Eastwick
Moonstruck
Mask
Thelma and Louise
Stepmom
Chinatown
Sleuth
Places in the Heart

#83 ·
I never saw all of Life is Beautiful, but I liked what I saw, even if I was confused by missing the beginning and the end. lol

The Color Purple! How could I forget about that one? :eek: I may be old, I may be black, I may even be ugly, but dear God I am here! I am HERE! :D

Pillow Talk, is that the one with Doris Day and Rock Hudson? I haven't seen this one, but I saw the remake with Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor, Down With Love (I think that's what it was called).

#84 ·
Braveheart
Steel Magnolias
Back to the Future
The Silence of the Lambs
My Fair Lady
Mary Poppins

Reactions: nermo
#85 ·
Sol Apollo said:
I never saw all of Life is Beautiful, but I liked what I saw, even if I was confused by missing the beginning and the end. lol
If you have time, you have to see it. It is really beautiful.

Sol Apollo said:
The Color Purple! How could I forget about that one? :eek: I may be old, I may be black, I may even be ugly, but dear God I am here! I am HERE! :D
A great movie.

Sol Apollo said:
Pillow Talk, is that the one with Doris Day and Rock Hudson? I haven't seen this one, but I saw the remake with Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor, Down With Love (I think that's what it was called).
Yup, you're right.

I love this thread. :yeah: to you.

Reactions: adee-gee
#93 ·
lauralou said:
My favorite movies are: Olighark by Pavel Lounguine, La Reine Margot by Patrice Chéreau, Central do Brasil by Walter Salles,Habla con ella by Pedro Almodovar, and Edward scissorhands (I hope this is the correct title in english) by the genius brain of Tim Burton :worship:
I've forgotten the classics: "Les 400 coups" by F.Truffaut,"La Dolce Vitta" by Fellini and my other favorite: "La vittà é bella" by Roberto Begnini

#94 ·
This is in my top 3 movies:
Central do Brasil by Walter Salles

Great movie, almost as great as the robbery that fernanda had (by that terrible actress paltrow). How the hell she didnt win the oscar is a disgrace, but then again these hopeless actresses often win awards over the ones who deserve it :mad:
The movie is very sad too :sad:

#95 ·
And :yeah: sugar_kane for "some like it hot". I don't know how i forgot it but "nobody's perfect" ;) .

#97 ·
Manged to get the rare brasilian movie by babenco "pixote" after a year of searching :D I found a cheaper priced version on dvd.

Dont think its as good as some of babencos other films, but it was well worth buying! Its really amazing how many of the street kids put in amazing performances (many of these play better roles than the top actors being nominated for oscars). Their performances seem so real and raw :yeah: Especially Fernando Ramos da Silva's performance :yeah:

Pixote now goes in my top 10 favourite films, its a film that makes you think and ponder how life can be. Often my favourite films are the ones that make you think, and my favourite movies always do this! When i watch a movie like "wolf creek" its out of my mind immediately after i leave the cinema. A movie like pixote sticks in my mind for a day or two after watching.

#101 · (Edited)
Let's talk about movies...

Clara Bow said:
Is there a movie recommendation list on non-tennis forums? (I can only peek at so much while avoiding work while at my job.) I would love to discuss movies with fellow movie buffs from around the world here.
OK, this is the thread to talk about movies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.