No black jurors in trial of cop shot unarmed black man in the back

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  DualMedia 
#1 ·
Prosecutor says Mehserle purposely pulled out his gun, killing Grant

By Paul T. Rosynsky
Oakland Tribune
Posted:*06/10/2010 11:05:33 AM PDT
Updated:*06/10/2010 11:15:33 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES — Chaos, distrust and disorder.
That was the theme a prosecutor used Thursday to describe the events that lead to the death of Oscar Grant III at the hands of a BART police officer New Year's Day 2009.
Police aggression and emotions caused the chaos, distrust and disorder and it led to Grant's death by former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle who, Deputy District Attorney David Stein said, purposely pulled out his gun, pointed at the back of Grant and shot the 22-year-old dead.
"The shooting of Oscar Grant was the result of emotions taking over, it was the result of aggression taking over for training and discipline," Stein said during a 95-minute opening statement. "Was the defendant confused? Look at where he is looking. He is looking at what he is doing."
Mehserle is charged with murder for the killing of Grant in what Stein contends was a knowing decision to pull out his gun and shoot Grant in the back while the black man laid on his stomach with his hands behind his back.
Stein focused on the half-dozen videos of the event and new demonstration videos to show a jury that it is very hard for a police officer to mistake his gun for his Taser.
Stein showed the holster of the .40 caliber handgun Mehserle used to kill Grant and he showed the holster of the X26 Taser that was also used that night.
Defense attorney Michael Rains will now begin opening statements.

imo, :mad::mad: this is wrong. please voice your opinion.

See less See more
#2 ·
IMHO the butler is the murderer.

#4 · (Edited)
Another habitual criminal scum that the black community chooses to martyr because he got himself killed by cop. Yeah, serious story. I'll never understand the mindset behind making a big deal of this kind of situation. There is an investigation of all shootings and this is nothing more than embracing the stereotypes and poverty pimps getting the mic.

#8 ·
Are you saying black man always sides with black man. White man with white man?

#9 ·
Everko, not the latter. In fact I've never seen the "white community" riot and make a martyr out of a criminal who got himself killed by the cops or black folk under any circumstance. And mind you, whites are murdered and ****d by blacks at an incredible disparity.

Yet the black community as whole with exceptions continues to embrace and defend the lowest elements who find themselves mixed up in trouble. And continue to allow shameless race hustlers like Jackson and Sharpton to represent them.

#13 ·
Those two certainly don't represent me or the people I know. The media seem to go to them when an issue comes up. Not our fault they ignore more credible and intelligent representatives in lieu of out of touch individuals.

#15 ·
OJ was trying to flee the country and had a friend drive him towards the border. Crowds of black people lined the freeway overpasses to cheer him on. At one stage OJ was holding a pistol to his own head.
When it was obvious he was not going to be able to flee the country they drove to his house and he surrendered.

#17 ·
That's just it. There shouldn't be any representatives for a race of people. Doesn't that sound ridiculous? :lol: Blacks living in Orange County, California will be different from blacks living in Flint, Michigan who will be different from blacks living in Miami, Florida and Houston and Atlanta and Chicago and Paris and London and Tokyo and Rome... get what I'm saying? And even then, those blacks aren't even of one mind. One person can not accurately speak for millions when it comes to experiences and beliefs.

#19 ·
Because juries composed of former minorities are infamous for leniency and legal injustice when it comes to former minorities facing charges. That's why the court systems in major cities are such a joke. They don't like white cops, even if they make a minority of the police, so they let defendants off. It's why I don't believe in the jury system. It is rigged for finding idiots.

In The Wire, they always talk about a "Baltimore jury" and should just be saying an ignorant all-black jury.

#21 ·
:)

This thread is a depressing read. What does OJ have to do with this? Nothing.

I live near where this happened and there's been outrage here about this since day one. The fact that it got captured on tape made a difference.

To be clear, this was a BART cop (police for one of the transit systems). It's hard to say what his motivation was, but he killed an innocent man, in front of a lot of people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.