Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unofficial Live ATP Rankings [in Post #1]

273K views 1K replies 134 participants last post by  Litotes 
#1 · (Edited)
By request from a few members to create a separate from Judio's thread with updated rankings, I will start this thread for frequent unofficial live ATP rankings. I will have a small break sometime in the future, but I will return afterwards, so don't worry if there will be a small interruption in the near future.

Now, one advantage to a new thread is that I can explain the color code and display mode for the table.

- The table displays current ranking standings by calculating the number of points dropped at the end of the period mentioned on the head table (the next official ATP rankings date).
- The Drop column details the number of points for all the tournaments that will be taken out of the player's rankings. Multiple tournaments may be dropped for each player, but the tournament with the most points dropped will determine the color of the drop points. For instance, 180 Wimbledon dropped along with 45 ATP 250 in the week after Wimbledon will result in 225 colored in red (Grand Slam color).
- The Gain column displays the total number of points the player has raised at the current tournament.
- The Effective column is the exact number of points the player will win or lose at the next official ranking. The total here is calculated based on all tournaments dropped and all tournaments played (GS qualies, Futures and all other tournaments that will be counted at the next official rankings). The color is determined again by the tournament with most points.
- The second Points column is for the next week after the current week. When no Grand Slam is being played, all current Futures tournaments are first counted there, since they won't be part of the rankings until a week later. Also, all next week's qualifiers will be counted there.
- In all weeks an additional Incoming Futures column is being displayed, along with the total tournament count calculated in advance so that the players with the same number of points are separated properly.
- During Grand Slam qualies another column with the points made there (not yet Live) is added. And during Grand Slams, another column with the points from the tournament is added in case a player goes to another tournament after the GS or GS qualies, but before the next official rankings.
- In the detailed week by week part of the table, you will encounter -1 points for certain players. Those tournaments are actually the tournaments in which the player has received a 0-point penalty for retiring or for not completing at least 4 ATP 500 tournaments in a year.

The colors used as background inside the table mean:
Green - The player is currently not eliminated from the Main Draw.
Red - The player was eliminated from the Main Draw or Qualifying Draw.
Blue - The player is currently playing on the Qualifying Draw.
Orange - The player has retired from any match.
Gray - The player has withdrawn from the tournament, but will incur a 0-point penalty. This will be noted as a -1 in case of ATP 500 events, and 0 in case of ATP 1000. This is due to the fact that ATP 1000 events are recognized as Mandatory by the system, while ATP 500 events are not, and there needs to be a difference between regular 0 (first round loss) and mandatory 0 (penalty).
White - The player currently does not participate in a tournament.

The colors used for text inside the table mean:
Red - The player is/was on a Grand Slam Main Draw
Regular orange - The player is/was on a ATP 1000 Mandatory Masters Main Draw
Light orange - The player is/was on a ATP 1000 Optional (MC) Masters Main Draw
Maroon - The player is/was on the ATP Tour Finals Main Draw
Green - The player is/was on a ATP 500 Main Draw
Olive - The player is/was on the Olympics Main Draw
Purple - The player is/was on a ATP 250 Main Draw
Plum - The player is/was on the World Team Championships tournament
Sky Blue - The player participated in the Davis Cup
Teal - The player is/was on the ATP Challenger Finals
Blue - The player is/was on a Challenger Main Draw
Navy - The player is/was on a 15K Futures Main Draw
Black - The player is/was on a 10K Futures Main Draw
Gray - The player participates on the Qualifying Draw of any tournament
Silver - The player does not participate in a tournament

Link to weekly rankings statistics: Ranking Statistics
Link to old ATP Rankings thread: Old ATP Rankings Thread

If you have any trouble seeing the latest image, please clear your internet cache and try again... Help on clearing the cache: http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html#fire35w

With all the instructions being laid, here comes the table:

Link to complete table: LIVE ATP

Link to official rankings from past Mondays: OFFICIAL RANKINGS

THIS THREAD IS NOW OBSOLETE. FOR RANKINGS UPDATES, CHECK THIS THREAD:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=236585

See less See more
#332 ·
Re: Unofficial Live ATP Rankings

Sorry for missing two scheduled updates. I was out for a beer with some friends and I didn't notice the launch failure at some of the times scheduled. :D

Also added a new scheduled update at 10 PM GMT.

Fixed now and should be working. Isner just managed to defend his 10th spot.

#337 ·

So, with Roddick retiring after the US Open, will he be taken out of the rankings immediately, like Ljubicic was ? Should I extract him out right now ?
I don't know the answer tbh... But don't extract him now as you could regret it if he isn't taken off right away ;)

#340 ·

He needs to send a letter asking for that.

In my memories, Safin (who was the first case I saw since I've followed the rankings closely in 2008) and Ljubicic are the only ones who did that, and it never was immediate, needed one month or two.

Roddick might do it, I don't think anybody can say "he will not do it for sure", but anyway it will need some time, and then you have to wait until it's official to remove him from the rankings.

#341 ·

Thank you all for your feedback. I shall let Roddick in the rankings, and cut out his 2013 Commitment.

I have just managed to successfully construct a ATP/iTF comparison for the Futures tournaments, as there were differences between data given by the two sites. At this moment, the app compares the two sets of data and uses the "freshest" one.:)

#343 ·

I have to appreciate this live rankings ! Great, great job. I am happy MTF has you, Slasher :)

#344 ·

Thanks for the kind words. I hope this will remain to be helpful.

New auto update made after I finished introducing regular 32-draw tournaments as well along with their quallies. I am fixing bugs day by day so that this keeps being correct, although I can't vouch for less than 10 errors the following Monday because of how many things I have changed.

There will also be an autonomy test because I'm gonna be away towards the end of this week and this will continue to run (for the first time without me around to fix any error).

So, I must apologize before this for any lack of updates or incorrect updates while I'll be away.:)

It's bad that I'm gonna test this exactly at the end of a Grand Slam week, but I have no choice in the matter. My daughter's Christening.:D

#347 ·

Just to be clear, if Murray gets to the finals will he move ahead of Nadal even if he doesn't win in the finals?

#349 ·

Raonic will probably remain 15th.
Cilic is getting so close to Top 10 he can smell it again. One victory can guarantee it.
Berdych is also very close to being number 6 again.
Del Potro will stay 8th, unless he reaches the final.
Kohli has a chance to reach number 16 again.

LOL at Hanescu. By deciding to not participate in the US Open he gained 6 points and thus entered Top 100.

#351 ·

Raonic will probably remain 15th.
Cilic is getting so close to Top 10 he can smell it again. One victory can guarantee it.
Berdych is also very close to being number 6 again.
Del Potro will stay 8th, unless he reaches the final.
Kohli has a chance to reach number 16 again.

LOL at Hanescu. By deciding to not participate in the US Open he gained 6 points and thus entered Top 100.
Not rly, if Tipsarevic reaches F and Delpo loses in the QF, Janko is no8. Or if Janko wins USO. Small chance but I can dream :)

#352 ·

As I'll be going away until Monday morning, I hope that the automatic update functions properly and that you get all the updates as scheduled: 2 AM GMT, 6:15 AM GMT, 9 AM GMT, 12:30 PM GMT, 4 PM GMT, 6:30 PM GMT and 10 PM GMT - starts of execution, with the update finalized about 10 to 30 minutes after the mentioned times.

The first unit that may fail is the saving of the image, thus, the update may still be working, but images will not be updated (or they will be replaced with blank information - thus you won't be seeing anything in the OP). Since this is a frequent problem, I doubt it will resist until I return. In this case, the xls and xlsx files will be updated as scheduled further on, so if there is no image in the OP, try downloading the file to see if the rankings have been updated.

The second unit that may fail is an internal execution error. Since there is no "intelligence" yet in treating errors, just a simple automation, this will result in the ending of the updates of all forms, no images and no files.

The third and final unit that may fail is power actually. If there is a power outage while I'm away, the updates are suspended until I return.

Enjoy !

#353 ·

Andy will become the new #3 if he beats Berdych? Awesome, he should definitely end this year ahead of Nadal.

#362 ·
Rankings and drop dates

This year the season is shortened a few weeks. The drop dates of Basel, Paris and WTF are later than when the tournaments acctually is held in 2012. What happens then to rankings after these tournaments are finished? Can you have two Paris M1000 tournaments in the rankings breakdown? And in that case, are both mandatory?

#364 · (Edited)
Re: Rankings and drop dates

This year the season is shortened a few weeks. The drop dates of Basel, Paris and WTF are later than when the tournaments acctually is held in 2012. What happens then to rankings after these tournaments are finished? Can you have two Paris M1000 tournaments in the rankings breakdown? And in that case, are both mandatory?
I think that all Basel, Paris and WTF ranking points from 2011 will drop out of the rankings on the final day of Paris tournament this year, right before the WTF.

It's clear for Basel and the WTF from the rulebook, not so clear for Paris. If Paris points from 2011 are not dropped that week, then one optional result will be taken out of the rankings of the players who take part in Paris this year.

It had been discussed a little bit here from post 111 :

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=12220377&highlight=basel#post12220377

#365 ·

The drop date for WTF is always the first Monday after the regular season ends, regardless of the 52 week rule. That is, the next Monday after the last ATP event (ALWAYS).

If there are two Mandatory Masters or two Grand Slams of the same tournament within 52 weeks, the best result of the two is counted until the older event drops out of the rankings.

There can be two Basels within the same 52 weeks of Singles Rankings.

Basel points drop out on the Monday after Paris, Paris points drop off a week later (52 weeks rule applies). WTF points drop at the same time as Basel points.

#366 · (Edited)

If there are two Mandatory Masters or two Grand Slams of the same tournament within 52 weeks, the best result of the two is counted until the older event drops out of the rankings.
no sorry it's wrong here : what you say is only true for one round of Davis cup,

but for mandatory tournaments, both do count in such a case and an optional result is dropped.

I know that, has happened several times since I've followed the rankings, and also it's clearly written in the rulebook.

It means that if they don't drop the points from Paris 2011 right after Paris 2012, there will be the points from two Paris tournaments in the rankings on monday before the WTF.

Which will happen for Basel one week earlier anyway yes.

The question which remains not clearly answered is : will they drop the points from Bercy 2011 before or after the WTF ? if you strictly follow the rulebook, it would be after the WTF, but I guess they won't do that, because it would mean that Paris 2011 would count for the qualifying for the WTF and the ATP didn't include Paris 2011 in the "Race to London" calculation last time I checked.
But there's still a question mark about that.

This has never happened before that Paris from year N is separated from the WTF from year N+1 by just 52 weeks like this year. Then one can't be sure what the ATP will do unless asking them directly maybe.

#367 ·

We're mixing things and it shouldn't be so.

The 2011 Paris result doesn't count for London because it's 2011, not 2012. So that is why it won't count this year at all in the Race To London. The 2012 result will enter the Race to London rankings, whilst the 2011 result will be ignored.

The Singles Rankings schema will follow the rulebook though, no matter if Paris is ahead of schedule.

I do follow on your mandatory rule you mentioned though, although the rulebook is not as clear as you're thinking. It only says the number of optionals is adjusted when there are not 12 mandatories, not if more than 12 mandatories are accepted.

#368 · (Edited)

We're mixing things and it shouldn't be so.

The 2011 Paris result doesn't count for London because it's 2011, not 2012. So that is why it won't count this year at all in the Race To London. The 2012 result will enter the Race to London rankings, whilst the 2011 result will be ignored.
Well, in the rulebook the qualifying for the WTF is nomore based on the "Race to London" but on the ATP rankings (which is why the ATP had stopped displaying a Race on its website for two years) :

rulebook 4.01B said:
The selection list for the event shall be:
a) The top seven (7) players in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of the Monday after the last ATP World Tour tournament of the calendar year;
followed by
b) Up to two (2) Grand Slam winners of that year, in order of their positions, positioned between eight (8) and twenty (20) in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of that Monday;
followed by
c) Players positioned eight (8) and below in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of that Monday.
The "Race to London" which is displayed by the ATP on its website now is only a help for people because it's easier to follow the way to the ATP rankings on the monday after Paris tournament which will actually determine the qualifying to the WTF.

Which means that on monday after Bercy, the ATP rankings and the "Race to London" should coincide because the former determines the official qualifying to the WTF, the latter was a help to "predict" that qualifying.

It only says the number of optionals is adjusted when there are not 12 mandatories, not if more than 12 mandatories are accepted.
yes, "when there are not" doesn't mean "less than", it means when it's different. The evidence of that is that it's "adjusted accordingly", not "increased by one" as they say in previous sentence for the case of players who are not allowed to enter mandatory tournaments as direct acceptances.

rulebook 9.03A said:
In weeks where there are not four (4) Grand Slams and eight (8) ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments in the ranking period, the number of a player’s best results from all eligible tournaments in the ranking period will be adjusted accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.