Mens Tennis Forums banner

Would Murray have defeated Nadal in AO12?

4K views 64 replies 32 participants last post by  Clydey 
#1 ·
Or the question rephrased - who was more impressive vs. Nole - Murray or Nadal?

#3 ·
He wouldn't have stood a chance.

Nadal with his bitch in slams, in a slam final against a known slam final choker, after realizing Djokovic is gone and the path to a slam is clear.

6-2 6-4 6-4 max.

#41 · (Edited)
Exactly this.

Nadal would have ground anyone else down after a semi like that. Only person who could have stayed with Nadal after that kind of a match is Djokovic. Nadal has a matchup disadvantage and now even a fitness disadvantage against a Djokovic on one leg. Poor Rafito, nowhere to go:sad:

#8 ·
Rafa's game is a much bigger problem for Murray than Djokovic's is. And the mental stranglehold Nadal has on Murray in slams is much bigger than Djokovic has.

With Novak, Murray actually thinks he can beat him. With Nadal, not so much.

#16 ·
That was yeaaars ago, Nadal is a much, much better hardcourt player now. And Murray, well, he's gotten worse :help:
Not really, if Rafa wasn't hindered by fatigue in USO'08, and hadn't been slumping during AO'10 -- he would have kicked his ass the same (whether or not Murray has improved his game).

#7 ·
Well not really....not against Murray in a slam. Rafa at 10% capacity in the SF of USO last year, almost blew Murray to bits.

#35 ·
Nadal leads Murray 6-2 in slam matches.

1-1 at AO.
1-0 at RG.
3-0 at Wimbledon.
1-1 at USO.

This is what the numbers say. Excuses, injury, fatigue, any other bullshit excuse? Does not matter.

#45 ·
Not sure about this but from the way Murray carries himself now and the match he played against Djokovic he may have beat Nadal.

I'll be checking out his upcoming matches, Lendl has made a difference already.
I just hope it's not just the initial boost that a player gets from having a new coach.

Murray is definitely one to watch this season.

#47 ·
During the fifth set of the Murray-Djokovic semi final, I seriously thought Murray could have beaten Nadal if he made it through. Looking back though, and remembering the that 4th set "give up" (it wasn't even a collapse, Murray just gave up – served and didn't move, didn't go for shots that were two feet away), Nadal would have eventually prevailed in four sets.

#48 ·
Pains me to say this but Nadal would have won for sure. Against Nadal Murray just collapses. Murray needs to remove the mental hold Nadal has over him. The only way to do that is to win 4 or 5 matches in a row against Nadal just like Djokovic did. As it stands the only thing Nadal expects when he plays Murray is a victory.

#49 ·
Anyone saying Murray with any conviction is just delusional.

Ajde.

#57 ·
Had he played at the same level, then yes, he would have had every chance. Would he have played at the same level against Nadal in a slam final? That is more doubtful.

He's beaten Nadal in slams but he hasn't done it for a while. Hell, even Federer's beaten Nadal twice in slams. Nobody seriously expects him to do it again.

#58 ·
He would have been in with a shout for sure. We know he has done well against Nadal on this surface....and he looked like a different player mentally out there. The danger would always have been that he didn't feel fresh for the final and subsequently was overwhelmed by a Nadal faking super freshness as he does so well. I kinda think with Lendl onside that those days are past now....and expect to see Murray make inroads with Nadal....maybe even a clay win against hime en route to Paris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.