Mens Tennis Forums banner

Lance Armstrong finally banned for doping

26K views 360 replies 69 participants last post by  Ben D. 
#1 ·
Lance is basically considered a doper until proven innocent just by participation.

Why not Bolt?

He is dominating in a similar way.

I know a lot of ppl suspect Bolt but they are quicker to defend him than Lance.

#132 ·
Re: Lance Armstrong drops fight against US Anti-Doping Agency drug charges

Don't care.

He is still a hero. In my eyes, he's done more good than bad in his life.

#135 ·

Don't care.

He is still a hero. In my eyes, he's done more good than bad in his life.
He may have done more good than bad in his life but it was all built on a giant lie. The guy is a fraud.

#141 ·

Do you guys ever put yourself in their shoes. Think, you are a talented young aspiring to be cyclist and you reach the pro circuit to find out that the only way to compete with the big boys is to get on with the culture of doping in which all of the top teams do it, which will give you a decisive edge in being competitive to reach the top. Would you just go and " well, it has been great training hard and dedicating my life at this endeavor and it seems that I have the talent and could have good success becoming a Pro athlete,but never mind I am going to go work delivering Pizzas now" These are the choice many athletes not only in cycling, but in probably all major sports, have to go trough.

It takes you 5 seconds to judge from the PC, but the reality is much deeper and the choices much tougher for those directly involved. All major sports have some level of deceptiveness when it comes to doping. If you don't allocate serious competent anti-doping regulations with descent budgets, how can you expect people to play by the rules when all the incentive is on the other way? Even fans are part of it, they trow labels and words around when athletes get caught, but do they really care about the seriousness of the doping regulations or only when is opportunistic and easy with someone getting caught? Is like expecting a company to not have any frauds while having no auditing or checking mechanisms. That is not how human nature works, rules without proper enforcement, corrupts.

This is an interesting article of what reality is more like to be an aspiring pro athlete:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/opinion/sunday/how-to-get-doping-out-of-sports.html?pagewanted=all

#142 ·

Do you guys ever put yourself in their shoes. Think, you are a talented young aspiring to be cyclist and you reach the pro circuit to find out that the only way to compete with the big boys is to get on with the culture of doping in which all of the top teams do it, which will give you a decisive edge in being competitive to reach the top. Would you just go and " well, it has been great training hard and dedicating my life at this endeavor and it seems that I have the talent and could have good success becoming a Pro athlete,but never mind I am going to go work delivering Pizzas now" These are the choice many athletes not only in cycling, but in probably all major sports, have to go trough.

It takes you 5 seconds to judge from the PC, but the reality is much deeper and the choices much tougher for those directly involved. All major sports have some level of deceptiveness when it comes to doping. If you don't allocate serious competent anti-doping regulations with descent budgets, how can you expect people to play by the rules when all the incentive is on the other way? Even fans are part of it, they trow labels and words around when athletes get caught, but do they really care about the seriousness of the doping regulations or only when is opportunistic and easy with someone getting caught? Is like expecting a company to not have any frauds while having no auditing or checking mechanisms. That is not how human nature works, rules without proper enforcement, corrupts.

This is an interesting article of what reality is more like to be an aspiring pro athlete:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/opinion/sunday/how-to-get-doping-out-of-sports.html?pagewanted=all
Of course the temptation is there for any aspiring athlete, but I think the point is that the choice to cheat or go about ones career the honorable way says a lot about their character. Character is what builds a champion.

#149 ·

Cadel Evans would win more tours and Ullrich was a dope fiend as well.

#151 ·

To me it just makes no sense to dope if i am going to be caught some years down the line for sure. I cant believe there are so many idiots in Cycling.
Who says you get caught for sure? :confused:

#154 ·

Just don't even award it, leave it vacant. What's the point in speculating who is "most clean". It's all bullshit, especially if you make an example of someone only to celebrate a second place who was also full of oxygenated blood.

#156 · (Edited)

If you want to get serious about anit-doping regulation, every major sports needs to allocate something like at least 10% of their profits to enforce anti-doping regulation and being on the cutting edge of testing and research into new Peds development. To leave an open door to PED usage, while having a tiny focus on anti-dope regulation, doing the minimum job, and only blaming the athletes who get caught once a culture of doping is installed is silly. Is like Wall street guys, don't properly regulate and see what the outcome is" oh but they should not better, where is the honour" like you would be so different in that situation.

#157 ·

If you want to get serious about anit-doping regulation, every major sports needs to allocate something like at least 10% of their profits to enforce anti-doping regulation and being on the cutting edge of testing and research into new Peds development.
And anti-doping should be enforce by a third party (like WADA) rather than the federation in charge of promoting the sport. There is good evidence that Armstrong was given preferential treatment. :(

To leave an open door to PED usage, while having a tiny focus on anti-dope regulation, doing the minimum job, and only blaming the athletes who get caught once a culture of doping is installed is silly. Is like Wall street guys, don't properly regulate and see what the outcome is" oh but they should not better, where is the honour" like you would be so different in that situation.
It is wrong to solely blame the athletes when the authorities ignore the problem, but they are nevertheless at fault. Plenty of athletes have chosen the right path in that situation. Many athletes are perfectly capable of acting ethically and in accordance with the rules. Don't project your own lack of integrity and morals on everyone else. I for one could never be tempted to dope - if I had the athletic talent and ambition to face that choice - because I understand that any "achievement" fueled by illegal drugs or methods is meaningless and hollow. :angel: It has no value.

#162 ·
#164 ·

According to this article, Lance Armstrong and his team US Postal used to get tipped off before doping controls:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report-armstrong-warned-before-all-doping-controls

That puts a new spin on "I have never failed a drug test." :rolleyes:
And what about this little gem:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...er-says-planned-hotel-search-was-blocked.aspx

Armstrong is a scumbag of the highest order, but I have to give him credit that despite making so many enemies along the way, he has managed to keep a cleanish image until this weekend.
He must have bribed, greased, bullied and coerced a lot of people to stay out of trouble for this long.

Meanwhile, cycling fans have been watching the cycling equivalent of WWF wrestling the way the UCI has been running the show for the past decade or two.

#163 ·

Yes. Drug testers were served coffee and biscuits in the hotel lounge while Armstrong was "taking a shower" (that is, injecting himself saline solutions to mask EPO, etc.).

#165 ·

It's amazing how many dumb people there are who still buy into his innocence. I was reading a facebook post of Sports Illustrated and the amount of mugs who are going "leave him alone, wah, wah, wah" is just astonishing. If it was any other athlete, he'd be crucified. Some even made fun of the TdF, the very institution that made this mug famous.

#166 ·

It's clear why UCI wants jurisdiction in this case. They were in on this thing with Lance Armstrong from the very beginning. They have covered his butt at every turn because he was their cash cow and now they are trying to protect their own asses. The sport of cycling has no future as long as Patt McQuiad holds the reigns in his hands. The guy is more corrupt than Sepp Blatter.

It's amazing how many dumb people there are who still buy into his innocence. I was reading a facebook post of Sports Illustrated and the amount of mugs who are going "leave him alone, wah, wah, wah" is just astonishing. If it was any other athlete, he'd be crucified. Some even made fun of the TdF, the very institution that made this mug famous.
I noticed the same thing on ESPN. I didn't make it past the first 2 pages of comments because approximately 85% of the users were buying right into Armstrong's propaganda. I think even if you would show them a video of Armstrong injecting himself with EPO, they would claim the video was staged.

#168 ·

Maybe Armstrong was the best without doping considering how enormous his domination was. Considering also that Ulrich, Beloki, Basso & co were doped too. Or maybe Moncoutié was the true clean GOAT.

Anyway, I finally achieved my lifelong goal to have as many TDF as Lance.

#171 ·

Now we can get on with wondering how much he personally takes out of the foundation donations.
All the money unknowingly given to livestrong.com, rather than livestrong.org went straight into Armstrongs pockets of course.
This guy is such an asshole that he can't even run a charity without tricking well-intending people out of their money for personal gain.

#170 ·

Armstrong now has more testicles than tours.

#179 ·

Good article. I was amused by this part though:

You see this most strikingly in women's athletics - prior to 1987, there were no out-of-competition tests. Once introduced, performances dropped instantly, and the current record books are dominated by those 1980s performances. The poor female sprinters and power athletes of the current era cannot get close to their event world records, and that's thanks to better anti-doping control today.
Except the USA 4x100m relay I'd have to add. In London they broke a record that stood since 1985 by .55 seconds. I know I've brought it up before but it's just so comically suspicious...

#175 ·

I don't know about the Anglo-saxon media, but in the French media we have in recent days had many articles with informations about Armstrong's procedures to dope and avoid controls (in France, we don't need to have many articles about the philosophical meaning of Armstrong being guilty, as we knew it for long ... which is not AT ALL the case about Nadal for Abraxas ;) ) : it didn't actually look that simple to avoid having problems with controls, especially uncalled ones, a heavy logistics and organization, and some complicities were needed :

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/2012/08/24/comment-armstrong-est-passe-entre-les-mailles-du-filet_1750995_3242.html

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/2012/08/25/lance-armstrong-a-ete-prevenu-avant-tous-les-controles_1751361_3242.html

In a way, it was a little bit reassuring for me that the anti-doping war has made it so complicated ... at least in a sport which really fought against doping, like cycling ... which is not the case of tennis, far far from that.

#176 ·

i hope this helps to put away the racist myth that anglo-saxons in particular and northern europeans in general have a "cleaner" work ethic that southern euros with regards to PEDs, not to mention virtually all the other nations which aren't of mostly northern european origin.

#177 ·

i hope this helps to put away the racist myth that anglo-saxons in particular and northern europeans in general have a "cleaner" work ethic that southern euros with regards to PEDs, not to mention virtually all the other nations which aren't of mostly northern european origin.
I don't suppose it will make any difference. The US already had a pretty lousy reputation, far below any Western European nation.

#182 ·

I don't suppose it will make any difference. The US already had a pretty lousy reputation, far below any Western European nation.
I have to say the way USADA has been acting for the past few years is a good example to the rest of the world. It will take ages before China or Jamaica or most other countries will have a similar organisation in place.
However, it's sad to note how many people are painting USADA as the bad guys.

#180 ·

Wiggins has been at his north west home with his feet up since the Olympics, so unless journalists go knocking on his door asking about Armstrong then that's probably why he's said nothing on it.

But regarding Spanish cyclists, his hero is Miguel Indurain, not Lance.

#181 ·

Wiggins has been at his north west home with his feet up since the Olympics, so unless journalists go knocking on his door asking about Armstrong then that's probably why he's said nothing on it.

But regarding Spanish cyclists, his hero is Miguel Indurain, not Lance.
Wiggins has never said anything about doping in countries other than the Southern European ones. Ever. Not about Armstrong, not about Landis, not about his olympic teammate Millar, not about anybody. If he has, I'm yet to read about it.

The only thing he's commented is how in Britain there isn't doping because the culture doesn't tolerate it as much as in those other places.

#200 ·

This is a pretty sad list.

http://www.usada.org/sanctions/

Hopefully the anti-doping regulations will eventually lead to a (slightly) cleaner sport.
I looked through this list. Jerome Young got a lifetime ban in october 2004 and then another lifetime ban in june 2008. Sad to see someone have such a short life.

#191 ·

If fans of the sport don't claim for a change and serious anti-doping regulation across the board, it won't really change much. With this knowledge it is silly to go after only the guys that are caught when across major sports doping is wide spread because most sport have clear openings for it and in turn the incentive, that ends up having a culture installed.

#193 ·

Michele Ferrari has a cute way of trying to convince us he has never doped athletes.

- "Intravenous EPO": the knowledge that intravenous administration would allow a more rapid elimination can be compared to reinventing the wheel. It is well known ever since the appearance of rhEPO (late 80s) that the half-life (elimination) of the drug administered intravenously is approximately 5 hours, compared to the 20-25 hours with subcutaneous administration: this information appears on the therapeutic indications booklet inside the package. Surely there was no need for Dr. Ferrari to advise on what everyone already knew;
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+usada&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz&client=safari

I feel so reassured now!

#195 ·

i think that An athlete who used drugs and was Tested positive should Deprive him any title he has won, get a big big fine, ban from the sport, Open a criminal investigation against him and that he will be exposed to Civil Claims b/c if i had paid good money to see a sport event that he won and it turn out to be one big fake, i would like my money back.

maybe if they will know they can lose all their money and end up in prison they will think again.

#196 ·

i think that An athlete who used drugs and was Tested positive should Deprive him any title he has won, get a big big fine, ban from the sport, Open a criminal investigation against him and that he will be exposed to Civil Claims b/c if i had paid good money to see a sport event that he won and it turn out to be one big fake, i would like my money back.

maybe if they will know they can lose all their money and end up in prison they will think again.
How about the money they have to return goes to the anti-doping agency ;)

#198 ·

I think what's most disappointing about this is that he's denying it / not acknowledging it. Like, come on! EVERYBODY KNOWS! You know, we know, EVERYONE KNOWS! Be a man and admit it and move on to the next chapter of your life. No one's going to take LiveStrong away from you.

Right now, he's just coming off as a petulant asshole.

#199 ·

I think what's most disappointing about this is that he's denying it / not acknowledging it. Like, come on! EVERYBODY KNOWS! You know, we know, EVERYONE KNOWS! Be a man and admit it and move on to the next chapter of your life. No one's going to take LiveStrong away from you.

Right now, he's just coming off as a petulant asshole.
Nothing's changed. It's just that he's been exposed as the fraud most people knew him to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.