Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#374 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Saturday 12:00 local time.

#377 ·

Do the posters here who frequently label each and every player on tour as a "mug" also say it when attending live matches?

#378 ·

Do the posters here who frequently label each and every player on tour as a "mug" also say it when attending live matches?

Yes.

#388 ·

Is there a place on MTF where tennis rules are discussed/new tennis rules proposed?

If not, I'd like to know what's the logic behind a tennis server being allowed to hit a "1st serve" after correctly challenging an "out call" on his second serve? Why does the server deserve such an advantage?

Along with my disagreement with that rule, I also wish that they would give discretion to the chair umpire in allowing only a second serve (just allowed to serve once) to be played by the server, in the instance that a bad line call is hawk-eye challenged, and correctly overturned in the return of server's favor, during a rally where the returner of server was leading/dominating in the point at the time the point was stopped due to the bad line call.

It's so silly that a guy is dominating a point, wins the challenge on a bad line call, only to lose the next point on a "first serve" ace (for instance). Not to mention the fact that giving this type of discretion to a chair ump would bring back some on-court controversy that has been lost since the advent of hawk-eye.

#389 ·

Is there a place on MTF where tennis rules are discussed/new tennis rules proposed?

If not, I'd like to know what's the logic behind a tennis server being allowed to hit a "1st serve" after correctly challenging an "out call" on his second serve? Why does the server deserve such an advantage?

Along with my disagreement with that rule, I also wish that they would give discretion to the chair umpire in allowing only a second serve (just allowed to serve once) to be played by the server, in the instance that a bad line call is hawk-eye challenged, and correctly overturned in the return of server's favor, during a rally where the returner of server was leading/dominating in the point at the time the point was stopped due to the bad line call.

It's so silly that a guy is dominating a point, wins the challenge on a bad line call, only to lose the next point on a "first serve" ace (for instance). Not to mention the fact that giving this type of discretion to a chair ump would bring back some on-court controversy that has been lost since the advent of hawk-eye.
In the situation you mentioned, that first serve is given again because the rules say "replay the point", not "replay the serve". Why the rules say this is possibly just because nobody thought about it when the rule was made and nobody cared to change it since.

#396 ·

No idea

#398 ·
Re: French Open App?

If you can't find it directly, you can download the ATP/WTA Live app, click the "Roland Garros" button under tour events, and that will take you to the page whereon you can download the FO one.

From what I've read though, it's terrible.

#399 ·
Hitting Partners

My first post and, of course, it's a stupid question.

Most of the time, the players practice on their own or have a regular hitting partner. But every now and then they hit with another pro.

Do the coaches ask for certain players that will give their player a specific kind of workout? Do the players just pick a friend to hit with? Do they just run into each other in the locker room and decide to practice together?

All of the above? None of the above?

I've never been to a live tennis match so I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Thanks in advance to all responders.

#401 ·
Re: Hitting Partners

My first post and, of course, it's a stupid question.

Most of the time, the players practice on their own or have a regular hitting partner. But every now and then they hit with another pro.

Do the coaches ask for certain players that will give their player a specific kind of workout? Do the players just pick a friend to hit with? Do they just run into each other in the locker room and decide to practice together?

All of the above? None of the above?

I've never been to a live tennis match so I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Thanks in advance to all responders.
As said, all of the above.

Also, you can write your name on a board signifying interest in playing with anyone who wants to play. That is what Nick Kyrgios did recently. When he came back to the bord, Novak Djokovic had entered his name next to his. So they had a session together. In other words, even the top stars haven't got everything specified long in advance.

#400 ·

All of the above, pretty much.

#403 ·
#407 ·

I mainly just come here and post and ignore the trivial aspects of the forums, but what are the purpose of credits? How do they work with the donating and stuff?

#408 ·

I mainly just come here and post and ignore the trivial aspects of the forums, but what are the purpose of credits? How do they work with the donating and stuff?
You get credits for forum activity. Their main use is for vBetting. You can bet on any matches in the vBookie section, where there will be markets for almost all ATP matches during the year. You only win or lose credits, so it's strictly a game.

If you don't want to play this game you can donate your credits to someone else. Just press "Donate" under your credit total on the right hand of the screen, and enter recipient and amount (and a comment, if you want). Of course, you can't donate more than you have yourself.

You can also place credits in the vBank, which gives good interest (4% a month). That will give you more credits after some time. Ofc, that's only an interesting option if you feel you have use for them.

#411 ·